IGNORED

Lynx 1 recap white screen issue

Combust

Hola all :)

I have just recapped a Lynx 1 and found that its a little less working than when i started lol. The lynx is turning on, i get sound, the brightness works however there is only just a hint of an image on the screen (I couldn't get the camera to pick it up) which the brightness doesn't change.

Is this a known issue? Are there any gotchas that I've missed, or ways to test?
(I'm planning a consolised build along with a McWill LCD board.)

Thanks so much in advance!

Regards,
Chris

DSC09127.JPG

DSC09128.JPG

DSC09131.JPG

DSC09132.JPG

DSC09133.JPG

DSC09134.JPG

DSC09135.JPG

DSC09136.JPG

DSC09137.JPG

20200801025203.MTS

28 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Double check your soldering. C66 + lead doesn't look like it was soldered up in your pics near the speaker wire solder pads?

Thanks, yeah its a bit dodgy. It was one i tried redoing a second time (with a second cap kit) just to make certain. Its actually C38, C66 is an smd next to it.

I've resoldered it and its still exhibiting the same behaviour.

153599009_545845926366753_8233630089699174008_n.jpg

152851947_273637627528104_5095314693706325830_n.jpg

I couldn't quite see it, but I recall there is a cap that gets replaced that is under where the games insert into the cart slot that is a right bear to get to. I usually end up bending the leads ahead of time at an angle to get them into the vias and then pull the cap to the board, folding it back down flat under the cartridge port area. The white screen issue almost seems like the system isn't able to read the carts, but I thought the model 1 units still give you the Insert Game message at least without a game inserted?

40 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I couldn't quite see it, but I recall there is a cap that gets replaced that is under where the games insert into the cart slot that is a right bear to get to. I usually end up bending the leads ahead of time at an angle to get them into the vias and then pull the cap to the board, folding it back down flat under the cartridge port area. The white screen issue almost seems like the system isn't able to read the carts, but I thought the model 1 units still give you the Insert Game message at least without a game inserted?

Yep i replaced that one too, its just poking out between the cart port and the brightness wheel (Ill be breaking out the cart port anyway so i can bend it back later).

I get a very very vague hint of a screen at certain angles and audio all works. To me it feels like there is something display related that i may have damaged somehow (heat maybe).

A friend and I went over all the caps, soldering etc and only found some dry solder joints on some diodes. Soldered up, along with a heap of other joints but no dice.
We then went over as much as we could with a scope following the schematics and everything seemed to have the correct voltage (brightness was 13.1v to 20v) and the pins to the lcd seemed to have the right data too. (all kinda blind as we haven't done this before on a lynx)

I think I'm gonna go ahead with the lcd replacement as it feels like things may be working and that the lcd is damaged.

152028985_10159515749839669_7272848021777491823_o.jpg