IGNORED

What's the worst version of your favorite game?

jgkspsx

On 2/26/2021 at 7:04 PM, Keatah said:

Gyruss on the NES. The ships look nothing like the Arcade. And they don't even have rotational capability. It's a reimagined rewrite at best.

Yes. NES Gyruss is its own thing and not really a port of the arcade. Like Ninja Gaiden, Trojan and Punch-Out. You may have preferred a straight port but that doesn't make this version bad.

• Like 2

I think my favorite game has definitively become Cyberpunk 2077 recently, but that's boring, and before that it was a bit gray as to my favorite.

I very much consider San Francisco Rush 2049 a 'perfect' game in it's genre. I bought it on every console it came out on, and am still trying to make the 'lifestyle choice' of going for a cabinet.  But, if it even counts as being the same game, there's also a GBC version.  And while I also love top-down racers, let's just say it isn't the 'perfect game' its big brothers are, and is below average even compared to other GBC overhead racers.

The same could be said of other gbc versions of games, as they're generally totally different titles, but I at least managed to have fun with, for example, episode I racer on gbc.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I love Pitfall! on the 2600.  I can beat it and get close to the max score.  I cannot even get the patch score on 5200 Pitfall!.  Yes I know that it has a lot to do with the 5200 controllers (sometimes I cannot get off the first vine), but not all of the problems are due to the controllers.  I really do need to try out the rest of the versions, but outside of testing the Intellivision one I have not given any time to the others.  The hidden Pitfall! on Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is pretty good on the Jaguar and Genesis, definitely better than the 5200.

4 hours ago, mbd30 said:

Yes. NES Gyruss is its own thing and not really a port of the arcade. Like Ninja Gaiden, Trojan and Punch-Out. You may have preferred a straight port but that doesn't make this version bad.

Fair enough. Because that's what I was expecting - a high fidelity arcade port.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Fair enough. Because that's what I was expecting - a high fidelity arcade port.

Oops, I meant to put Rygar not Trojan as an example. Somehow I had those mixed up. Although Trojan is also somewhat changed from the arcade.

NES ports that weren't actually ports was a common thing back then. I wonder if that's made them age better because they weren't just trying to copy the arcade on inferior hardware. They're different games still worth playing in their own right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 12:26 AM, bluejay said:

Every console port of Doom (1993). Doom needs to be played on a keyboard, and no one will change my mind.

I almost agree.  None of the ports seem to feel the same as when I played on a (then) top of the line, PC, but... I played through Doom on PC back in the day with a Gravis gamepad  ?    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I prefer the 2600 version..

It's eminently playable and it's how I was introduced to the game - on the 2600. We all loved it and would often play it in conjunction with Space Invaders. Back'n'forth. Back'n'forth. All goddamned night!

• Like 1

My first thought before I read your first post was also Joust.   Not so much that it's my favorite game (A favorite maybe, one of many), but one with many different ports.  The ColecoVision version From Team Pixelboy along with the 7800 version are my favorite ports (not really including the arcade accurate PlayStation versions and MAME etc.), as even if they are less accurate, a more powerful flap makes the game much more playable.  But for me the worst was Joust on NES.  Unless I'm misremembering something, trying to get your bird under control  as he bounces around the screen like a pinball (and Not in the good way) was an exercise in futility...

• Like 2

I've played a lot of versions of Spy Hunter over the years.  It is generally a game that (surprisingly) is done well across systems.  However, I got a GBA version at some point and while it looked pretty close to the arcade, it was missing the music.  For that game, not having the music is an absolute crime.  I'd rather play the 2600 version.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I've played a lot of versions of Spy Hunter over the years.  It is generally a game that (surprisingly) is done well across systems.  However, I got a GBA version at some point and while it looked pretty close to the arcade, it was missing the music.  For that game, not having the music is an absolute crime.  I'd rather play the 2600 version.

Oh gosh, those GBA DSI double-pack retro arcade carts bring back some bad memories.  Marble madness was just the worst, since it's somehow missing half its levels, and also a memorable obstacle that even the GB port managed just fine(ish).   

YewHdiy.png

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

Oh gosh, those GBA DSI double-pack retro arcade carts bring back some bad memories.  Marble madness was just the worst, since it's somehow missing half its levels, and also a memorable obstacle that even the GB port managed just fine(ish).   

Yes, EXACTLY!  It is a double-pack with Spyhunter/Super Sprint.  I can't remember ever even trying to play Super Sprint on there, but that is a stupid game to make single player anyway.  I think I have that Marble Madness/Klax double-pack squirrelled away somewhere too.  After trying it, I have a vague memory of wondering why I wouldn't just play the MAME versions, but Spy Hunter really stood out as inferior.

MarbleKlax.thumb.jpg.1ef61b062f537dbfb84e4dec637ed51e.jpgSpyHunterDouble.thumb.png.c72126688356485678a149866c671e69.png

On 2/26/2021 at 7:53 AM, IntelliMission said:

In my case it's The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. It's a perfect example of an "if it works, don' touch it" situation that, of course, was touched. I rather play the monochrome or CGA versions and, of course, I prefer the EGA version (my favorite) to the Special Edition. I'll add some screenshots in a spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

smicomparisons.jpg

Things turn bad from the start

comparison.jpg

Why?

512full-the-secret-of-monkey-island:-spe

The magic is gone

maxresdefault.jpg

What was the point?

On 2/26/2021 at 4:51 PM, jgkspsx said:

Uggggh. I just played through SoMI on Sega CD the other week. It was really good. I know the Xbox version let you play classic mode, but did it keep the horrible artwork in the cutscenes?

I did NOT expect to see this game mentioned in this thread.

YES - the special edition totally re-did the art, but as is already posted, you can switch freely between the modern and classic (VGA) versions.  If you really don't like the new visuals then you don't need to look at them.  I'm not sure what else the Special Edition could possibly do besides that to satisfy a classic fan.  PLUS because of the special editions, we got all new voice acting for the first two games which I personally thought was VERY well done and faithful to at least the spirit of the voices and performances in "Curse."  I honestly can't imagine ever needing a reason to fire up the game in SCUMMVM or WinUAE ever again now that I own the special editions.

I've never played the Sega CD version, but if they added anything to the game then I'm 98% sure that the special editions blew it away.

Oh, the Sega CD version is probably actually the worst version of SoMI. Small color palette, long load times, HILARIOUSLY long load times when the insult list gets long - even though there's no voice acting. I just really don't care for the new artstyle, especially when the old artstyle is so amazing, but the rest of the Special Edition game is fine.

• Like 1

I had those GBA multis, got them at some point somewhere second hand.  Klax wasn't terrible but could be better, Marble Madness, sadly the 8bit NES+GB releases were better which is pathetic (and someone burned on it, but the Tiger one I had this and it was better too!)  Spy Hunter was an affront to the game, not being dramatic, it's just that bad.  Spy Hunter on GBC again strangely despite the hardware limits was also a better release which again is pathetic.  How the GBC with Klax, Spy Hunter, and a few others (I recall Rampart as one) being better than the GBA releases was just disgusting how little effort went into even making an attempt at the games there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Keatah said:

IDK maybe I'm wrong. But I've not seen desirable arcade ports (of many games) on the NES. Seems a games with curved motions and ballistics aren't all that great.

(Without thinking hard) Gradius and Arkanoid are fun as hell on the NES!   But it does seem like there should be a whole lot more!  I assume your second sentence is referencing (the aforementioned) Gyruss?

Oh I just thought of another!   Does anyone remember when they made a port of Yars' Revenge on Game Boy, no Wait!  Game Boy Color* and it was just awful!??  Not the one on GBA (With Pong and Asteroids), that one was fine...The Game Boy Color version was one where it took up 2 screens and scrolled across for some reason and you never could tell what the hell was going on.  It was one of the few games I actually returned.  I was so pissed that I actually put a little comment in the "Notes" section of the instructions telling whoever bought it after me to go play the Atari 2600 version instead!

*Actually it works on Game Boy or Game Boy Color (I only had a Game Boy at the time).

9 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

(Without thinking hard) Gradius and Arkanoid are fun as hell on the NES!   But it does seem like there should be a whole lot more!  I assume your second sentence is referencing (the aforementioned) Gyruss?

Yeah, I was going to mention Gradius. I've heard Salamander is also quite good. It also has that awesome transparent cartridge that I definitely need to pick up:

s-l640.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, I was going to mention Gradius. I've heard Salamander is also quite good. It also has that awesome transparent cartridge that I definitely need to pick up:

s-l640.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Yeah that's kind of worth it for the cart alone huh?  While I don't specifically remember playing it (It's Life Force right?)...

I've seen that artwork somewhere for sure!  I'll bet I've got a knockoff of it kicking around here somewhere...I'm thinking maybe it's on one of those 4 in 1, or 2 in 1 (or hell 8 in1), or more (256 in 1), bootleg Famicom Multicarts that were all the rage (presumably) back when I bought way more of them than I should have and before Everdrives...Or I may own it in some other way...I know the game as Life Force and,...Well, It's just too familiar.