IGNORED

What's the worst version of your favorite game?

jgkspsx

On 6/12/2021 at 11:28 PM, Tanooki said:

Actually it's only partly bad emulation.  I know what you're talking about, the hellish speed inconsistencies and overall slowdown.  They secretly left their emulator open ended as did dozens of DS games, so if you pop it into a DSI it will use the 2x CPU and 2X RAM and the game runs smooth.

Yes, I've only ever used it in a 3DS. Too bad my US 3DS battery is dead and the game is region locked, so I can't use it in my Japanese DSi LL or 3DS. I believe that this is the only time that Sega has ever released Sonic 3 & Knuckles on a handheld unless you count the Nomad.

• Like 1

Oh well if you're using a 3DS hmm not sure how that would be handled considering the 3DS emulates/simulates whatever they care to call it DS mode considering the hardware is similar, but not the same.  It will boot into DS mode, but it's obviously updated better changed larger hardware so it simulates the environment much like 8bit GB did on GBA.  Maybe they're not doing DSi mode, just DS mode on there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh well if you're using a 3DS hmm not sure how that would be handled considering the 3DS emulates/simulates whatever they care to call it DS mode considering the hardware is similar, but not the same.  It will boot into DS mode, but it's obviously updated better changed larger hardware so it simulates the environment much like 8bit GB did on GBA.  Maybe they're not doing DSi mode, just DS mode on there.

3DS acts as a DSi for DSi games.

• Like 1

If we're talking about all time favorite video game, the original Mega CD port for Sonic CD is definitely the worst version overall. Has consistent slowdown issues and strange collision in certain areas. The Gamecube and Windows ports were improvements in nearly every way, and now we have the Steam and mobile versions. Both of which are in widescreen and have increased special stage framerates.

With that said, I do also wanna mention the Sonic 1 GBA port. That one in particular has to be one of the most sorry excuses for a video game port I've ever seen. With completely broken momentum physics and awful audio. I'd go into further detail, but it's definitely a case where you should see it for yourself..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RetroSonicHero said:

If we're talking about all time favorite video game, the original Mega CD port for Sonic CD is definitely the worst version overall. … mobile versions. Both of which are in widescreen and have increased special stage framerates.

Have you played the mobile port with a touchscreen? :|

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Have you played the mobile port with a touchscreen? :|

I have, it's far better than what you'd expect. I really, REALLY don't like touch screen controls overall, but these actually feel very nice for what they are.

Edited by RetroSonicHero

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, rayik said:

Congo Bongo on the Atari 5200.  Just bad in every way.

The 2600 version is FAR worse. 

I really wanted this game back in the day for my Atari 400.  I remember my friend had it and I was enthralled with the pseudo-3D aspect of it.  I had never seen the arcade game so I didn't know it was a stripped down port until years later when I got a copy for my Apple II and saw that there were actually four screens!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

The 2600 version is FAR worse. 

I really wanted this game back in the day for my Atari 400.  I remember my friend had it and I was enthralled with the pseudo-3D aspect of it.  I had never seen the arcade game so I didn't know it was a stripped down port until years later when I got a copy for my Apple II and saw that there were actually four screens!

Most home versions of Congo Bongo were pretty abysmal.   The ones that look the best are the C64 disk version (not the C64 cassette version), and the Apple II version.   The rest are horrible on the eyes from what I've seen, and missing content.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zzip said:

Most home versions of Congo Bongo were pretty abysmal.   The ones that look the best are the C64 disk version (not the C64 cassette version), and the Apple II version.   The rest are horrible on the eyes from what I've seen, and missing content.

I always wondered why the Colecovision version has the rhino level but not the wood platforms level.  The rhino level was always my least favorite because it's so different from the other levels.

• Like 1

The Acorn Archimedes port of "Alone in the Dark" is ugly and unplayable. I question why it was developed and published.

Meanwhile the FM Towns port, while excellent, only allows you to play with the joypad?! ? I finished it, but with only 1 health point remaining.

Thankfully the FM Towns port of the sequel supports the keyboard. Whew!

Edited by DeathAdderSF
So I could talk more about the FM Towns.
  • Like 1

While I'm not sure I'd call them my favorite games, the Apple II ports of Donkey Kong and Dig Dug are horrendous considering how these games were ported better to weaker systems.

Most of my favorite games don't have many if any ports, but one that does is Bards Tale.  Almost all versions of Bards Tale (and BT 2 and 3) outside of the original Apple II/C64 versions have major bugs that make the game broken (missing/broken abilities, broken enemies, screwed up drop rates, broke timer based encounter rates, etc.).  The PC and Amiga ports were particularly bad in this regard even though the graphics look better.  Don't get me started on the NES version...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The original PC version gets my vote for worst by a landslide.

At least they totally redeemed themselves! with the DOS version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Even with the v1.6 upgrade patch it still isn't perfect, but it looks great, sounds great, and plays very well.

But that's OK. We had plenty of other fighting games for DOS. One Must Fall 2097 was (and is!) especially impressive.

• Like 1