IGNORED

VidGrid & Blue Lightning big CD boxes, anyone interested?

Wilco

Blue Lightning & VidGrid big boxes, anyone interested?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested

• I’m interested
    • I’m not interested

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

After getting my jaguar cd I realized how stupid blue lighting and Vidgrid look next to all the big box jaguar cd games, so I wanted to make a few high quality big box prints to end the sufferings of all jaguar cd collectors. 

I’m working with a few other people to make the boxes look as good as they possibly can, no stretched or squashed images since that would ruin the entire purpose. We’re following the standard template as good as we can. 

They have not gone into production yet, and the printing plant is still looking at how they can handle the weird middel piece in the boxes. I sadly don’t thing that will be possible so it might ship with a big inlay instead of the box holding the game up. Other than that, I’m trying to get these to look like they came straight out of the Atari factory. 

I’m wondering if people actually want this before I spend any serious money on it, since printing boxes in weird sizes and small quantities isn’t cheap. 

I’ll share pictures as soon as I get the first mock-up boxes, granted that enough people are interested. It may take a while however since we’re still putting the final touches on the cover art. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

Would these be the Jag CD big box size or Jag cart size boxes? 

Big jaguar cd box size

7 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

If it could fit into a standard Jaguar CD box protector, that would be great...a couple of the retail releases don't fit.

If I can get my hands on one I’ll let you know if it fits or not. 

Edited by WilcoL

46 minutes ago, bombflare said:

Any chance on adding Space Ace to the mix?  Trying to locate a long box of that has been harder to find than Brain Dead 13 and Primal Rage!

That is definitely a good idea, but I don’t want to take on more than I can handle. 

I don’t have much experience with printing boxes, so I’d rather get these two made and then I’ll see if I can print any other. 

• Like 1

Someone on Etsy is printing JagCD boxes, but only the same size as the cart boxes. I kinda like the idea of doing a run of all the JagCD games in cart size boxes since it will look sweet next to the rest. The big box games do not fit on my game shelf unless I lay them flat.

Not a big deal, I will buy whatever size you decide.

Edited by Machine

• 2 weeks later...

The boxes will sadly ship with an inlay instead of the regular cardboard insert, as it would otherwise elevate the price twofold. 

The first mock-up boxes should arrive soon if everything goes to plan. 

• Like 2

There has been a miscommunication between me and the guy printing the boxes, due to that the boxes came out about 2cm too small so I’m sadly not able to share them. New boxes are underway, I should have them relatively soon. 

I have printed out the front covers in the right size, the colours don’t look to great here but that’s just because my printer isn’t the greatest. 

My apologies for the small delay. 89ADC3F1-DEB4-4C7E-82A4-A5D6101851F9.thumb.jpeg.790eb2ac4144a7e4ff8abee2e5f3fd0d.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since there have been quite some delays with the printing of the boxes related to me not being to get the colours to look good. But in that time I’ve altered some small things about how they will look. 

The boxes will now feature the Atari logo at the front, at first I didn’t want to add it because I was afraid of legal action but I’ve realized that Atari probably doesn’t care. 

It won’t have a barcode on the bottom or back, as non exists for the games. 

I’ll be producing more inlays than boxes, so if anyone just wants a jaguar cd size inlay instead of the boxes that go with it, it’ll be possible.

I promise the next update will feature some new pictures of the (hopefully by then finished) boxes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WilcoL said:

The boxes will now feature the Atari logo at the front, at first I didn’t want to add it because I was afraid of legal action but I’ve realized that Atari probably doesn’t care.

Not recommended. The logo and intellectual property rights are all what's left of Atari. You don't want to give their lawyers an easy case against you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zerosquare said:

Not recommended. The logo and intellectual property rights are all what's left of Atari. You don't want to give their lawyers an easy case against you.

Alright, should be an easy fix to remove it again. Just thought I could probably get away with it as Atari, as far as I know, never took legal action against someone making reproduction boxes. I do see how this is a bit different than a regular reproduction box so I’ll discuss it soon with the few other people working on it, to hear what they think. Thank you for bringing it to my attention! 

4 hours ago, WilcoL said:

Atari, as far as I know, never took legal action against someone making reproduction boxes.

I don't know about reproduction boxes specifically, but they did send cease-and-decease letters to people using their brand/logo without permission, even if it didn't cause them any harm.

Yeah, the game by game podcast merch got hit up and pulled because (the impression I got) it used the word Atari in its description more or less. Forgot which episode this was covered in, so you'll just have to go listen to them all if you want the details ?

These things aren't as simple as they seem. The most likely scenario is that Atari the legal entity that holds the rights to the logo and other assets is only tangentially involved. They likely just contract some IP management service that in turn utilizes other automated tools to scan the web for potential infringement and generate form-letter legal documents some nominal human hits the "do it" button on, you'd hope after eyeballing the alleged infringing material, but let's not kid ourselves: How carefully would you review these things if you were a hungover intern at Drexel & Partners or whatever on a Monday afternoon?

So in short, it's not really a matter of whether Atari cares. It's more likely dependent on how well some web crawler tool can parse the content of whatever venue you intend to sell your boxes on.

• Like 1

I’ve discussed it with the rest of the team, and we have come to the conclusion that it would be better not to use it out of a fear of legal action by Atari. 

My apologies if anyone really wanted the logo on there, I just can’t take the risk at the moment. 

• 1 month later...

After a lot of delays, the boxes have arrived! It took quite a while, but the boxes look and feel like a real Atari product, and I am very happy about that. 

All boxes will be shipped from the Netherlands, please let me know if you want tracking or not. I’ll calculate the shipping cost when I receive an address. Expect to pay around $13 without tracking and $25 with if you live outside of Europe. The boxes will be shipped unfolded. 

The boxes themselves will cost €15 a piece, or €25 for both. They all come with an inlay. Both fit in my box protector without issue. 

If you would like to order one, either send me a private message or mail your order to jaguarboxes@gmail.com. Please don’t share any personal info in this thread. 

(pics) 

D1EA6DF4-8AF6-4152-89B8-1DCE8E682CA4.thumb.jpeg.2a01296ab598f55ed57f1508e4e047e7.jpeg

3A538817-CB59-4352-A4DA-4ABA2A71914F.thumb.jpeg.7360e6e07ff92624534c2adc97fcc1c0.jpeg

A35C3F2B-FDCE-45ED-944D-BEF69F3B7234.thumb.jpeg.cc9ea9dfd73c839c90b263e5b58b0e2b.jpeg

6B65C367-A6D2-403D-A7E8-DCEE8A5AE4A4.thumb.jpeg.3f539ed891c4c0ec090384ce97ef3dca.jpeg

62700E11-F800-45B5-A122-5B21D48C897A.thumb.jpeg.cd435c17021ceb4e3a2de23dae6085e6.jpeg

815B14E0-F180-4EC2-9116-974C134C7CC4.thumb.jpeg.2c772225a976d7942accc00a0cb70f70.jpeg84FCF803-5CD1-4F65-852D-799A0D44E556.thumb.jpeg.c9d1ba6154a3bba3f39eba72be2b4f16.jpeg

• Like 1