IGNORED

Repair my original Xbox

shiz

Those PSUs are drop-in and can be replaced easily.  Figure out what XBOX model you have and then find the right replacement on Ebay (or wherever).  I've replaced them before and it amounts to just turning a few screws and unplugging a cable.

Someone local to you should be able to handle this.  Look on Craigslist (Facebook Mktplc, OfferUp) for people offering XBox mod services.  They should know what to do.

6 hours ago, wongojack said:

Those PSUs are drop-in and can be replaced easily.  Figure out what XBOX model you have and then find the right replacement on Ebay (or wherever).  I've replaced them before and it amounts to just turning a few screws and unplugging a cable.

Someone local to you should be able to handle this.  Look on Craigslist (Facebook Mktplc, OfferUp) for people offering XBox mod services.  They should know what to do.

Dido this, they are drop in to replace the entire unit at once. The original XBOX was built very much like a computer and are easier to work on then later consoles. 

• Like 2

Yeah, those don't look good.  The original XBox does suffer from a problem where one of the caps leaks and actually corrodes the line to the power switch.  I was just chatting online with someone about replacing these caps and that person said they used these:  Amazon.com: Yohii Aluminum Radial Capacitor 3300uF 6.3v 105C for LCD TV & Monitor Repair - 20pcs: Industrial & Scientific.

Note - I have never repaired an XBox using those caps personally.

Reference: I Am A Classic Videogamer | Facebook

Yeah pretty much the only model of the OG Xbox you don't have to immediately worry about the caps on is the later 1.6 versions like I own. However, having said that I replaced all of mine out anyway including the clock cap that you aren't supposed to replace.

But yeah, if the caps near the power connector and the CPU look like that, you better look around the caps in the lower left of the mainboard under the DVD drive. Because that is where the clock cap lives and it likely looks the same or worse.

I have an near launch edition that I had bought when the console launched.  I recently removed the clock capacitor following thus video.

Mine had started to leak but not much.  Cleaned the area around it.  Not sure that helps in your situation but this is what I followed to find the capacitor location and remove it.  You can at least look in that area. 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, wongojack said:

The original XBox does suffer from a problem where one of the caps leaks and actually corrodes the line to the power switch.

It's not even a cap issue, the traces just dissolve all by themselves. I had to fix mine a few years back, all the caps are perfectly fine.

They think it's just some weird manufacturing defect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah pretty much the only model of the OG Xbox you don't have to immediately worry about the caps on is the later 1.6 versions like I own. However, having said that I replaced all of mine out anyway including the clock cap that you aren't supposed to replace.

But yeah, if the caps near the power connector and the CPU look like that, you better look around the caps in the lower left of the mainboard under the DVD drive. Because that is where the clock cap lives and it likely looks the same or worse.

5 hours ago, Asaki said:

It's not even a cap issue, the traces just dissolve all by themselves. I had to fix mine a few years back, all the caps are perfectly fine.

They think it's just some weird manufacturing defect.

I don't think that's the issue, as you can see everything else seems fine

IMG_20210304_112307.jpg

IMG_20210304_112314.jpg

IMG_20210304_112332.jpg

9 hours ago, shiz said:

I don't think that's the issue, as you can see everything else seems fine

I was referring to what wongojack said, which is a separate issue...there is no denying that your caps are ready to burst.

The "trace corrosion" issue screws up your power and eject buttons, so you can't eject, and the power will turn on, but it won't turn off without unplugging the thing. It can lead to no power switch at eventually though, IIRC.

I need to try to fix my Xbox...the DVD-ROM drive won't spin anymore :(

• Like 1