IGNORED

What's your Favorite Wii/U Game? Why do you like it?

DL_

Hello, all. I hope you're having a good day.

The Amico's special controller reminds me a lot of these two consoles. It's hard to believe both consoles came out so long ago. What is your favorite game(s) for these two wonderful machines? Why do you consider it your favorite?

WiiU, favorite game is Breath of the Wild, no contest. I've always been a huge Zelda fan, and this one might be #2 for me, right behind the very first game. Brings back a lot of the nostalgia from the first two games, and mixes it with bits and pieces of the newer games, as well as a few of the more enjoyable aspects of modern open world games.

On the Wii, I'm not sure, there's a lot of great games to be had there, and a lot of them I haven't played in a long time. I'd have to think about that one.

I'm currently re-playing through Skyward Sword.

WiiU is a wildly underrated system.  If we presume BOTW is a Switch game (where vast majority played it).....man.  I'd be hard pressed to pick.  

Splatoon 1, Kart 8, Starfox Zero (yes, its amazing), Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD----and a lot of cool indie and download titles (including Cave Story, World of Goo, etc, but these were multiplat).  I have probably 30 WiiU games.  It's tough to even pick.  I've probably played the most Wii Fit U though--i still use it 4x a week for between-work exercise.

• Like 2

Nice to see another Wii Fit U and Starfox Zero fan in the wild. Yes, Zero is amazing. Excellent GamePad usage. I got so 'in tune' with that game's controls that going back to play other, similar games felt outdated. Guard is great, too. One of my favorite games on the platform, honestly.

Try Affordable Space Adventures, if you haven't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Wii side- it's like choosing you favorite child.  Here's a few fave games:

Excitetruck: total zen racing experience for me. It's hell on the contacts as I hardly blink but it's quite a ride.

Rayman Raving Rabbids-mad cap party game that's so goofy you have to laugh. 

Wii Sports-needs no explanation. Nintendo created magic with this.

Wii U I haven't played a lot of. I got one in my previous marriage but didn't play it much before the divorce. I got another one in 2019 and played BOTW but let my second eldest stepson take my save (didn't know about multiple profiles). After that I hardly got a chance to play it to say X game is a favorite. I guess BOTW holds that title for now.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, Gamemoose said:

it's like choosing you favorite child. 

I know how you feel.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, Gamemoose said:

Rayman Raving Rabbids-mad cap party game that's so goofy you have to laugh. 

It's refreshing to see some love for this one. I enjoyed it, way back when. First Wii game I obtained (disregarding the packed-in Wii Sports). I know the game rubbed fans of the older games the wrong way, but I think it gets an undeserved 'rap'.

• 1 month later...

Both wii and wii u are the Xenoblade games for me--just incredible titles.  I bought a Wii-U entirely for chronicles X because I loved the first one so much.  And I bought a Wii...well mostly to crap on it from a position of authority, but then eventually wii got Xenoblade Chronicles which was shockingly good.

However that answer of xenoblade is entirely too boring/predictable, so I'll also include my wii shovelware guilty pleasure, Nerf N-Strike Elite--the second Nerf game.  The gimmick is spectacular, with the Nerf blaster that becomes the wiimote holder. I don't know why they make these complex killbots that have such a severe weakness to foam darts, but I just love it.  Also it started my adult Nerf obsession (link) making it life-altering shovelware.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Wii - Fishing Resort (made by Yuji Naka of Sonic The Hedgehog fame).  It's the best use of Wii-mote, in my opinion.  It totally feels like you are using a rod. The game has tons of replay value, the entire family loved playing.    Dokapon Kingdom gets an honorable mention.

Wii-U - I have to go Bayonetta 1 and 2, Wonderful 101 or Devil's Third.   I'm a huge Kamiya fan, and despite the development hell that ruined the return of Tomonobu Itagaki, I had a blast playing the multiplayer of Devil's Third before the servers went offline. We had a very dedicated group playing it. The multiplayer modes were amazing. 

4 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Both wii and wii u are the Xenoblade games for me--just incredible titles.  I bought a Wii-U entirely for chronicles X because I loved the first one so much.  And I bought a Wii...well mostly to crap on it from a position of authority, but then eventually wii got Xenoblade Chronicles which was shockingly good.

However that answer of xenoblade is entirely too boring/predictable, so I'll also include my wii shovelware guilty pleasure, Nerf N-Strike Elite--the second Nerf game.  The gimmick is spectacular, with the Nerf blaster that becomes the wiimote holder. I don't know why they make these complex killbots that have such a severe weakness to foam darts, but I just love it.  Also it started my adult Nerf obsession (link) making it life-altering shovelware.

I still have to try those. I have Xenoblade X on my shelf. I've started it, but I'm not far into it. I remember seeing that Nerf game and writing it off. Maybe I should try it.

9 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

Wii - Fishing Resort (made by Yuji Naka of Sonic The Hedgehog fame).  It's the best use of Wii-mote, in my opinion.  It totally feels like you are using a rod. The game has tons of replay value, the entire family loved playing.    Dokapon Kingdom gets an honorable mention.

Wii-U - I have to go Bayonetta 1 and 2, Wonderful 101 or Devil's Third.   I'm a huge Kamiya fan, and despite the development hell that ruined the return of Tomonobu Itagaki, I had a blast playing the multiplayer of Devil's Third before the servers went offline. We had a very dedicated group playing it. The multiplayer modes were amazing. 

I liked those Wii U games, too (not Devil's Third - I've never played it). I've always wanted to try Fishing Resort and his other work from Prope. I've walked by a cheap copy of Let's Tap! several times, but never bit (it didn't have the box). I should've bought Rodea when I had the chance, and I can't find a copy of Ivy the Kiwi anywhere so I'll have to use Amazon (or some alternative).

Have you seen Naka's newest game? It just released a few days ago. "Balan Wonderworld." It looks alright. 

52 minutes ago, DL_ said:

I should've bought Rodea when I had the chance...

You can still get it from eBay for $25 or less. You just have to be careful, because a lot of people keep the Wii disc and sell the WiiU disc (or there are reports of printings that never came with the Wii game).

You can even flip the insert, it has the Wii art on the other side...just need a white case to put it in.

My three favorite Wii games are:

Zack and Wiki - hilarious, clever, gorgeous Capcom point and click adventure that uses the Wiimote to the hilt. I don’t know why this gets no love. Admittedly there are some wiimote puzzles that would have been a lot better with the Motion+.

Endless Ocean - I could play this game forever. There are many other diving games from Aquaventure to Abzû but this one feels the most truthy. Hunting for treasure is cool, the graphics are some of my favorite on the Wii, and the ability to bring your own soundtrack lifts this from the realm of the wonderful into the realm of the exceptional.

Excite Truck - the polar opposite of Endless Ocean in every way except the custom soundtrack one. Terraforming the world as the Amps play Tipp City is an unmatched racing experience. By far my favorite racing game of that generation.

Just now, jgkspsx said:

Excite Truck - the polar opposite of Endless Ocean in every way except the custom soundtrack one. Terraforming the world as the Amps play Tipp City is an unmatched racing experience. By far my favorite racing game of that generation.

I have yet to play this one. I have played ExciteBots: Trick Racing, though.

29 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

ExciteBots is a lot of fun, but no custom music.

Come to think of it, I've never used this feature in any game. Would you say it improves the experience in most games? I suppose I don't see how it wouldn't. 

In all honesty, I never really used it for any other games, including on the Xbox 360 where it is a feature of the system. Usually I am happy to accept whatever music the creators of the games thought fit. (This is probably way I end up not sticking with some games I otherwise like, come to think of it.)

But the default music for Endless Ocean is somewhat excessively cloying orchestral music that I didn't feel felt the mood. I and several friends made long, 30-40 minute mixes of music specifically for Endless Ocean, which meant that my experience of the game was extremely personalized and also carefully and thoughtfully designed to push all of my own buttons.

For Excite Truck (which has okay but somewhat generic built-in music), because races are generally short, I had to pick a careful list of songs less than 4 minutes and appropriately energetic. This meant that some of my favorite songs that would be unlikely grace any official soundtrack became my experience of the game.

Did this warp my experience of these games, and does it mean that others who didn't approach them this way would have a different experience? Yes, that's true. But nevertheless, it was my experience of them, and I've rarely had a video game experience as magical.

• 10 months later...

Easily Twilight Princess for the Wii. I know everything is reversed, but it's what I'm used to, and I have no interest in playing it flipped. I also love playing it with the Nunchuck and Wiimote, even though it gets a lot of hate.

Off-topic but do any versions of TP allow you to flip the world, or are they all the mirror image of the Wii version?

For Wii, it's basically Nintendo-published stuff. Punch-Out, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Galaxy, DKC Returns, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.

Sort of the same for Wii U actually. Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Mario Maker in particular.

Hated Star Fox Zero when it launched. Revisited it recently and was shocked that I started to enjoy it quite a lot. Still need to finish it but I kind of wish I put the time in when it was new.

Family favourite is Mario Kart, we also enjoyed Mario Party, Nintendo Land and Rabbids. Yoshi's Woolly World got quite a lot of father-son-play and I also enjoyed Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Zelda Wind Waker (BOTW is still on the "future play" shelf). In general I like to use that "asymmetric play" function where one player has a different view using the game pad. It's a pity the Wii U got killed so soon and there aren't too many games of that type.

• Like 1

The Wonderful 101 is my favorite WiiU game, and is the IMHO the best game on it, and the reason to own the system. Although, now that it's also on Switch, that last part isn't really true anymore.

I think the game is incredible, it has the best presentation of any game I've played, and an innovative game mechanic with the drawing of the weapons. It's visual style is like super deformed anime, the whole game looks like your watching a cartoon on TV, except highly immersive and interactive. Plenty of action fighting that involves button mashing (the game even makes fun of that), but the enemies do have patterns you must learn to get past their protections. 

Great game, and funny too.

• 5 months later...

I'd have to say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my favorite Wii game. It took everything from the original and made it better with more content & subtle technical improvements; Yoshi; and all the new power ups with Yoshi. If you were to play 1 first & then 2 in tandem, as I did, it was even better with how the difficulty scales from the first game. Even now in 2022, SMG 2 is easily my favorite 3D Mario game.

When it comes to the Wii U (not counting remasters, as Wind Waker HD would easily be it), I would have to go with Bayonetta 2. For me, it fixed the pacing issues with the first and just added more over the top crazy set pieces with the same great action. It felt like the best version of a game like Devil May Cry that I had played to date. I'm super excited for 3 coming out next month.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Metroid Prime Corruption is my favorite Wii game, and my favorite game of that generation. I think it was done incredibly well - the atmosphere, the gameplay, everything.  It combined everything good about Metroid Prime and fixed all the things I didn't like.

I'd have lots of runner ups, though, the Wii had so many good games.

• Like 1