• 64 KB
    • 128 KB
    • 256 KB
    • 320 KB
    • 576 KB
    • 1 MB
    • 4 MB

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

My “most equipped” is either the one with an Ultimate 1MB + VBXE or the one with U1MB + SIDE3. But do those “count”? I mean, most people don’t have VBXE set up with the core to provide additional RAM, nor can the SIDE3 RAM be used easily and transparently like the banked memory in U1MB. I mean, for anyone who isn’t Jon or Candle. ? 

26 minutes ago, drac030 said:

My "most equipped" Atari has Rapidus, i.e. 32 MB RAM. What I have to choose?

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore anyone's hardware, including these cases with 16-bit CPU.
So if anyone has something not included in the POLL, please write it down here, or choose closest match (here it would be still 1MB, although it's far off 32 MB ;) ).

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

My “most equipped” is either the one with an Ultimate 1MB + VBXE or the one with U1MB + SIDE3. But do those “count”? I mean, most people don’t have VBXE set up with the core to provide additional RAM, nor can the SIDE3 RAM be used easily and transparently like the banked memory in U1MB. I mean, for anyone who isn’t Jon or Candle. ? 

I don't see why it wouldn't count. If you have VBXE, U1MB, and SIDE3, the SIDE3 loader uses RAM on the cart; you might then run a cartridge demo which fills 1MB of cartridge RAM, or an XEX demo which fills 1MB of on-board RAM, and then fills 512KB of VBXE VRAM with bitmaps and XDLs. If 'PORTB' RAM had been stipulated, then only the U1MB RAM would have counted, although Rapidus' linear RAM would have also been disqualified since it requires a 65C816 CPU to access it.

I suspect PORTB RAM was implied in the original question, though, since AFAIK the largest PORTB RAM expansion is currently 4MB (Antonia).

10 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I suspect PORTB RAM was implied in the original question, though, since AFAIK the largest PORTB RAM expansion is currently 4MB (Antonia).

source books, math, reality, and the history of expansion generally say that 4MB cannot be addressed by a PORTB.

Antonia offers 4 MB only either as a linear RAM or as Axlon banked RAM. PORTB is 1 MB, because 6 is the amount of bits available to select the banks (and bit 0 is not used to select banks due to known compatibility issues).

The poll says "Please select amount of RAM your MOST equipped 8-bit ATARI has". So my "most equipped" 65XE, which is undoubtedly an 8-bit Atari has 32 MB RAM due to the additional board installed.

If "amount of RAM accessible to CPU in the first 64k of the address space" was meant, then my Atari has 320k of that (or 832k couting in the VBXE video RAM :D)

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

1088K actually - most 1 Meg upgrades are that amount on top of a 64K stock.

ed - in fact I should say 1600K since my U1Meg equipped 800XL also has VBXE

Also have a RAM 320XL PBI plugin and 64K internal 600XL.

LOL! I voted 1MB due to my Incognito, but since you put it that way, my 1200XL also has 1088K total, including 512K sram from Syscheck 2 and 512K sram that's also accessible to use as extended ram on the MyIDE II I also use with it. Different memory locations are used, so it is all accessible at the same time.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Question to all those people who use 800 daily, do you all have Incognito in it or you also have other Atari computers with expanded RAM? I'm surprised that there aren't any votes for stock 48KB 800s with all the users here.

It's tricky...

My non-Incognito CTIA 800 runs on 544 KB (16KB + 16KB out of 512Kb + 16KB), plug-and-play, no HW mods. It reverses back to 48KB (for BIT3-config) in a couple of minutes, when needed. So it is a tweener...  ?

But then the question is about the highest-RAM equipped... and that goes to Incognito config.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoever can't find his maximum RAM-size option in the poll, please tick the closest option (just with some comment message). Thanks and sorry for inconvenience, in the end sometimes it's hard to guess all the possible configurations :)

Edited by Jacques

11 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

LOL! I voted 1MB due to my Incognito, but since you put it that way, my 1200XL also has 1088K total, including 512K sram from Syscheck 2 and 512K sram that's also accessible to use as extended ram on the MyIDE II I also use with it. Different memory locations are used, so it is all accessible at the same time.

You are so true about this... I am even forgetting the Turbo-Freezer's 512KB RAM, which works well through Incognito PBI, without mentioning SysCheck's own (!)

9 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

You are so true about this... I am even forgetting the Turbo-Freezer's 512KB RAM, which works well through Incognito PBI, without mentioning SysCheck's own (!)

Too true, I also have a Turbo-Freezer, but since I already have either the Syscheck 2 or Incognito on both my machines I can't activate Turbo Freezer's 512K since they use the same memory addresses from what I understand, Am I wrong about this? I still have a lot to learn about all these upgrades. Can I use both Incognito extended ram and Turbo Freezer extended ram at the same time somehow? That's the nice thing about having the sram on MyIDE II cart since it can be used along with Port B upgrades. I also have The!Cart which has the 512K sram option too, IIRC.

But if we are talking total ram, even that which clashes, then my 800 has 1598K!

Edited by Gunstar