IGNORED

PlusCart default font

Al_Nafuur

PlusCart default font  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which font should be used as default font for the menu?

• Small Caps
    • Trichotomic-12
    • Captain Morgan Spice
    • Glacier Belle

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/2021 at 09:00 AM

I went back and put the binaries on my harmony and holy crap did that make a difference. The three lines under the Red and gold band hurt my eyes because they look like they are vibrating. The JFK- through uvwxyz-lines are the most readable color wise. If I could change my vote I'd knock Small caps out and put Tri-12 in. Small caps had too many vertical lines. The roundness of the Captain was by far the most readable to me.

2 minutes ago, JasperAK said:

I went back and put the binaries on my harmony and holy crap did that make a difference. The three lines under the Red and gold band hurt my eyes because they look like they are vibrating. The JFK- through uvwxyz-lines are the most readable color wise. If I could change my vote I'd knock Small caps out and put Tri-12 in. Small caps had too many vertical lines. The roundness of the Captain was by far the most readable to me.

Yes, it does look a lot different on the real thing. I did warn you!

1 minute ago, JasperAK said:

I was also surprised to not see the color differences between the lines that showed up in the emulator screenshots. Is it possible to have the colors customizable?

PlusCart uses the text colour to indicate the TYPE of option it is.

They are categorised;  a runnable binary, a sub-directory, etc.

Alright, I did my due diligence and dropped these on my Harmony and tried it on two systems and AV Modded Vader (Which they all look like garbage. I need to redo the mod on this thing)

But on my AV S-Video modded 7800 on my old Pioneer Plasma these all look great. But I kinda feel like most everyone else that Glacier Belle is the cleanest and easiest to read to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

... also the emulator shows colours clearly; on a CRT they blend much more with the blue background, so are harder to differentiate.

I think that PAL shows washed out colors much more than NTSC (which should look similar to the emulator).
In fact PAL has half the vertical color resolution, as the TV blends the color information of two adjacent scanlines (actually, with interlaced video they're not adjacent, as the blending happens on consecutive scanlines of the same field).

You can easily see this if you fill an area alternating scanlines between two hues, but using the same luma value. On PAL, you'll get a perfectly solid color, instead of striped.

So when displaying the menu, PAL mixes the background and text colors twice: on each frame, because the display is made alternating colors on each scanlines, and also because of the phosphor blending of the interleaved consecutive frames.

The Blargg TV effects used in Stella are designed for NTSC and don't emulate this PAL artifact.

SECAM is even more complicated, as alternating different colors on subsequent scanlines produce a totally different hue.

1 hour ago, alex_79 said:

I think that PAL shows washed out colors much more than NTSC (which should look similar to the emulator).
In fact PAL has half the vertical color resolution, as the TV blends the color information of two adjacent scanlines (actually, with interlaced video they're not adjacent, as the blending happens on consecutive scanlines of the same field).

You can easily see this if you fill an area alternating scanlines between two hues, but using the same luma value. On PAL, you'll get a perfectly solid color, instead of striped.

So when displaying the menu, PAL mixes the background and text colors twice: on each frame, because the display is made alternating colors on each scanlines, and also because of the phosphor blending of the interleaved consecutive frames.

The Blargg TV effects used in Stella are designed for NTSC and don't emulate this PAL artifact.

SECAM is even more complicated, as alternating different colors on subsequent scanlines produce a totally different hue.

I'm running a tri-format TV, which gives excellent picture on both PAL and NTSC (and 3.58 and 4.43)

I don't know the internals, but NTSC is definitely very washed-out looking to my eyes, and not much like the emulator.

Maybe it's just doing PAL all the time, and the NTSC circuitry just shifts the colour signal to be PAL compatible...?

Maybe someone in NTSC-land could do an off-CRT screenshot of one or more of the fonts?

... from the downloadable binaries above, not just the PlusCart fonts (which don't have the colours we're talking about).

Edited by Andrew Davie

2 hours ago, quohog said:

I voted for Glacier Belle because it's nice and clear. But I'm starting to wish I picked Captain Morgan because it's got so much character!

It's multiple choice, so you could have voted for both..

4 hours ago, quohog said:

But I'm starting to wish I picked Captain Morgan because it's got so much character!

The other fonts will still be available. We're just picking the font that is the default for new carts. You can always select between them.

• Like 1

Poll is closed. Thanks to those who voted.

The clear winner is "Glacier Belle", which pleases me as it's my favourite by far.

Here's a list of those who did everything right and thus are in the draw for the free PlusCart I offered.

The winner will be drawn from a literal hat, on a very-soon episode by @ZeroPage Homebrew.

@Prizrak (withdrawn)

@CapitanClassic

@MrZarniwoop

@bikeguychicago

@ZeroPage Homebrew (though I think everyone would be outraged if you won)

@alfredtdk

@Gemintronic

@Pat Brady

@Dan Iacovelli

@Stephen

@Rogerpoco

@JasperAK

@MissCommand

@-^CrossBow^-

@vitoco

@groundtrooper

@alex_79 (withdrawn)

@Bomberman94

@quohog

@sramirez2008

@7800 Guy

May the best piece of paper win. No correspondence will be entered into, etc., etc.

Edited by Andrew Davie
Updated list
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Poll is closed. Thanks to those who voted.

The clear winner is "Glacier Belle", which pleases me as it's my favourite by far.

Here's a list of those who did everything right and thus are in the draw for the free PlusCart I offered.

The winner will be drawn from a literal hat, on a very-soon episode by @ZeroPage Homebrew.

@Prizrak

@CapitanClassic

@MrZarniwoop

@bikeguychicago

@ZeroPage Homebrew (though I think everyone would be outraged if you won)

@alfredtdk

@Gemintronic

@Pat Brady

@Dan Iacovelli

@Stephen

@Rogerpoco

@JasperAK

@MissCommand

@-^CrossBow^-

@vitoco

@groundtrooper

@alex_79

@Bomberman94

@quohog

@sramirez2008

@7800 Guy

May the best piece of paper win. No correspondence will be entered into, etc., etc.

Some of the users on this list already have a PlusCart (or two).

So if you don't need another PlusCart or if you don't know who to give the PlusCart to, you can send a message here and withdraw from the draw and give other users without a PlusCart a better chance to get one ?

@Andrew Davie

maybe you should post the list in this thread too:

21 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Some of the users on this list already have a PlusCart (or two).

So if you don't need another PlusCart or if you don't know who to give the PlusCart to, you can send a message here and withdraw from the draw and give other users without a PlusCart a better chance to get one ?

I currently own a PlusCart, but it is very unstable. I destroyed the STM card from the original kit because of too many resoldering trying to make it work and I had to change it, and the main card was damaged in the proccess. Then, it is a great oportunity to get a stable one ?

(If I'm lucky and the new PlusCart also turns to be unstable, then I have a problem in my consoles!!!)

• Like 1