IGNORED

POLL and a *FREE* PlusCart!!

Andrew Davie

@Al_Nafuur is doing a bit of a poll to see which of 4 fonts should be selected as the default font for the amazing PlusCart.

You don't have to be a PlusCart owner to vote... in fact we have 4 runnable binaries (and also screenshots) to help you make your selection.

After the poll closes, I'll be giving an absolutely free PlusCart to a randomly selected person who has voted.

So, head on over to the PlusCart Club at...

Make your vote in the poll, and leave a short note saying you voted (so I know who's in the draw for the free cart).

Note that you can, if you wish, say which one is your favourite and why.

So... free PlusCart... vote!

• Like 4

On 2/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, Andrew Davie said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew something to mention on the show, perhaps?

Also, you should definitely check out/mention the new Chat Room if you haven't already seen it!

You bet, I've voted in the thread and added it to the news for tonight's show!

Is the Chat Room the thing labelled 'Users Online'? Unfortunately it said 'You Are Alone Here :(' so I'll talk about it at the top of the news and try to get some people in the chat in real time on the show to demonstrate it on the stream. ?

- James

EDIT: It appears that I don't have a cart that's enabled to update with draft versions so I'm not able to show off the chat functions. I'll see if I can arrange to have one of my PlusCarts carts enabled for draft versions so I can show this off on the next stream.

image.thumb.png.0de9f1cafcf573ee2ed054bc3f78f274.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

You bet, I've voted in the thread and added it to the news for tonight's show!

Is the Chat Room the thing labelled 'Users Online'? Unfortunately it said 'You Are Alone Here :(' so I'll talk about it at the top of the news and try to get some people in the chat in real time on the show to demonstrate it on the stream. ?

- James

EDIT: It appears that I don't have a cart that's enabled to update with draft versions so I'm not able to show off the chat functions. I'll see if I can arrange to have one of my PlusCarts carts enabled for draft versions so I can show this off on the next stream.

image.thumb.png.0de9f1cafcf573ee2ed054bc3f78f274.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68

If you can do that, and I'm hoping @Al_Nafuur will see in time :)... hopefully either he and/or I can be online during the show and we could have a Canadian/Australian/German three-way ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Davie said:

If you can do that, and I'm hoping @Al_Nafuur will see in time :)... hopefully either he and/or I can be online during the show and we could have a Canadian/Australian/German three-way ;)

I have added both of @ZeroPage Homebrew's PlusCarts to the draft group.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

I can neither vote in the poll nor reply to that thread.

I prefer Glacier Belle. It is clean and has the most distinct uppercase N.

It is a public club, so you have to join the club to vote and post.

You can leave the club afterwards, if you like.

Groucho Marx:

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, Andrew Davie said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew something to mention on the show, perhaps?

Also, you should definitely check out/mention the new Chat Room if you haven't already seen it!

I feel this is on the level of a technologcial first, like the first cell phone call. Who would've thought 40 years ago that the 2600 would be part of a chat room???

Just now, Omegamatrix said:

I feel this is on the level of a technologcial first, like the first cell phone call. Who would've thought 40 years ago that the 2600 would be part of a chat room???

That's the reason why I regret that my first post wasn't something more memorable, like "Mr Watson - come here - I want to see you!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I have added both of @ZeroPage Homebrew's PlusCarts to the draft group.

Wow. This is exciting news. Chat functionality in the PlusCart. Almost like those StarTrek enabled chat rooms where you can chat on-screen as you watch a classic ST:OS episode. 

I guess there is Twitch for that sort of thing these days with regard to playing video games (2600), but seeing chat running on a 2600 is very cool.

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Entering messages in chat on the PlusCart keyboard reminds me of the old-skool days of entering text messages on a mobile phone's numeric 1(ABC) 2(DEF) keypad. Only without predictive text, and much much less fun. And it wasn't even nearly fun back then.

Will the PlusCart Chat eventually support the 2600 keyboards? If so, you could use 2 and get a 24 keyboard, right?

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

why not a Bluetooth keyboard ?

?

I guess I was misunderstanding the user interface for the PlusCart. I thought everything was through the Atari joysticks. That would make setup annoying, and since this thing is already WiFi enabled, I should have realized it would support Bluetooth controllers too to communicate with it.

I guess you could play Atari 2600 games through the PlusCart with a PS4/XBOX 360 controller, or after the ROM loads, is all the communication to the PlusCart (as far as game input) need to go through the P0/P1 joystick ports?

11 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

I guess I was misunderstanding the user interface for the PlusCart. I thought everything was through the Atari joysticks. That would make setup annoying, and since this thing is already WiFi enabled, I should have realized it would support Bluetooth controllers too to communicate with it.

The PlusCart WiFI module (ESP8266) does not supports Bluetooth. To support Bluetooth we would need to use a ESP32 or add a separate Bluetooth module (like BT06 or HC-05).

11 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

I guess you could play Atari 2600 games through the PlusCart with a PS4/XBOX 360 controller, or after the ROM loads, is all the communication to the PlusCart (as far as game input) need to go through the P0/P1 joystick ports?

Bluetooth would need a "Driver" in the Firmware to work and to use it in the ROMs we would need something similar to the PlusROM functions, which make the WiFI functions available to the ROMs.

I'm bumping this to notify anyone who is interested in voting in the competition/poll that I'll be closing off the competition part this coming Sunday evening my time. If you're interested in contributing your opinion on the best font to use as default in the PlusCart, but especially if you're interested in being the lucky winner of a free PlusCart (with shell printed by me to your specifications -- colour of your choice)... then get in now and vote, leave a message indicating that you're in the competition, and help us out with the poll.

Looks like the lucky winner will literally be pulled out of a hat by @ZeroPage Homebrew on a show pretty soon after the competition deadline. James, now I've said that, you ned to use an actual hat, OK?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Looks like the lucky winner will literally be pulled out of a hat by @ZeroPage Homebrew on a show pretty soon after the competition deadline. James, now I've said that, you ned to use an actual hat, OK?

Tanya's got an assortment of great hats we can use for the draw. ? I'll remind people tonight on the show to get their entries in.

- James

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'm bumping this to notify anyone who is interested in voting in the competition/poll that I'll be closing off the competition part this coming Sunday evening my time. If you're interested in contributing your opinion on the best font to use as default in the PlusCart, but especially if you're interested in being the lucky winner of a free PlusCart (with shell printed by me to your specifications -- colour of your choice)... then get in now and vote, leave a message indicating that you're in the competition, and help us out with the poll.

Thanks for the bump - just noticed this and voted.

1 hour ago, Rogerpoco said:

Me too, can't vote, can't comment, but I like the Glacier Belle as well.

I want one of these when they come out, BAD, I hope I can get on a list somewhere, lol!

I believe you have to be a member to vote and comment, just click on 'Join Club' in the top right.

image.thumb.png.649d6f1a4f15eb5a943be21ea3bfc787.png

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Thanks 1

Poll is closed. Thanks to those who voted.

The clear winner is "Glacier Belle", which pleases me as it's my favourite by far.

Here's a list of those who did everything right and thus are in the draw for the free PlusCart I offered.

The winner will be drawn from a literal hat, on a very-soon episode by @ZeroPage Homebrew.

@Prizrak (withdrawn)

@CapitanClassic

@MrZarniwoop

@bikeguychicago

@ZeroPage Homebrew (though I think everyone would be outraged if you won)

@alfredtdk

@Gemintronic

@Pat Brady

@Dan Iacovelli

@Stephen

@Rogerpoco

@JasperAK

@MissCommand

@-^CrossBow^-

@vitoco

@groundtrooper

@alex_79 (withdrawn)

@Bomberman94

@quohog

@sramirez2008

@7800 Guy

May the best piece of paper win. No correspondence will be entered into, etc., etc.

Edited by Andrew Davie
Updated list of names
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

The winner will be drawn from a literal hat, on a very-soon episode by @ZeroPage Homebrew.

We'll be doing the draw on Tuesday March 9th at the beginning the ZPH stream! Good luck to everyone!

Hmm, outrage might be fun... nah, I'll remove my name as well, hahah. ;-)

- James

• Like 3