Hello...

Today I release CFW updates for both the regular and deluxe to the latest versions.

Atari Flashback X Update (AR3060): 0.1.21 CFW [UPDATE].img

Atari Flashback X Deluxe Update (AR3060S): 0.1.9 CFW [UPDATE].img

Atari Flashback X Deluxe Base (AR3060S): 0.1.9 CFW [BASE] .img

The base IMG is the complete firmware file with the hack included.  Useful for fresh installs without having to install any other update beforehand.

Also gives you a fallback if you ever lose your bonus games.

On a side note: I will be taking requests for custom update img's so let me know what you would want!

I take no responsibility with the update files you download and install. Use them at your own risk!

Also these are not my mods included within these updates.  They are Brad from the 80's and I just mirrored what he did and repacked them.

Install them the usual ways.  Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy!!! ?

Edited by MrFister
Fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FairFight14 said:

Can you please add, what a noob is supposed to do with this? I realise there's been a lot stated in the other CFW thread, but people aren't going to want to read through 20 odd pages. I understand you may find "... the usual ways" simple, but people who are new to this may not.

2 ways to install these.

1:  Rename downloaded file to "atari_update" (without quotes) and copy to fresh formatted usb drive.  Insert the drive and turn on the console and follow directions for update. (Requires OTG cable and USB drive)

2:  Use AndroidTools and flash the update file to the console. Requires drivers to be installed to pc and a data usb cable.

Sounds like you were wondering how to update this to your console, correct?

On a side not, I uploaded the wrong 0.1.9 cfw base.img file in the original post.  The rom partition was missing in the final img.

So here is the new download for the base update.

Atari Flashback X Deluxe Base (AR3060S): 0.1.9 CFW [FULL BASE].img

Edited by MrFister

No - I've already read the 19 pages in the other thread. It's just I see it far too many times - of where information is left all over the place, because the people who were there at the start find it easy, since they know what they're doing. Where as for someone new, they shouldn't have to jump to a different project, to try and find out useful info. Things can get far too confusing that way. New projects, should still explain how to take the steps to apply it.

I'm no less thankful to everyone involved, just trying to make life simpler for the people who are starting from scratch.

Edited by FairFight14

Here is what I've learned...

1. If you update a regular edition with the v9 full base image, it becomes a deluxe and in the about screen it shows v9. Just as I expected.

2. If you put all the nexus v2.3 files on a drive, it works, box art displays correctly, but the version number shown in the about screen is v18.

So... obviously running system files from the USB allows for the box art to display correctly, the change atgames made to the box art sizes the computer looks for is not implemented anymore. That also means that NEXUS will still only display correctly on an AFBX.

Edited by Draxxon

@Draxxon

Are the boxart sizes different from the the regular and the deluxe?

If so what are the sizes for the regular version, or do you have the pack of roms from the regular version to share?

I honestly think the boxart on the game info screen is too big now on the deluxe console with this new fw update.

Also the retromenu from the usb drive once inserted will reflect that fw version number.  Thats why it is different when you plug one in.

So it looks like all the retromenu.run file you have in emulator folder will have to be updated to reflect current fw.  Just make a copy from the v9 and cnd rename it and copy it the usb and overwrite the existing one.

Then I would update all the retromenu files after that.

*EDIT*

I tried replacing the retromenu.run file with a v9 file and it breaks nexus return to top function.  So that won't work.  Is the retromenu.run file included in nexus, a custom file?

Edited by MrFister

Yes, that run file is a custom file from Rocketfan. removing it will break the gotos, and the hub.

box art sizes are not different across any version, they displayed wrong on the X.

9 had orginal size/larger artwork. that pack is called ATARIv1.1 (Use whatever you want from it)

The X's have the same size art as the 9, but it didnt display correctly. the X was actually looking for the smaller size the LFB units use.

I resized/shrunk all the art to fix the issue. and that pack is called ATARIv2.1 (Use whatever you want from it)

this was all before we could run hardcoded system files from the USB, so now we arent stuck with the updated firmwares changes 

to the box art display size. My pack is still built off of the v18 CFW, with all the v9 system updates implemented, minus the box art fix.

My system IS now a v9. w/o USB inserted i get fixed art, new ADVII box, fixed S.I P2 glitch, and the couple audio fixes. I'm okay with this setup. 
What works for the NEXUS is keeping the slightly smaller art size, over 1000s of games, will be a smaller download, and the thumbnails look fine.

IF an AFBX or AFB9 user started with a clean /emulator folder dump with the control files, and cut and pasted games w/ art to the rom folder, they

probably need to cut and paste from ATARIv1.1 - If they are running nexus, specifically the packs /emulator folder, they need to cut and paste games from the ATARIv2, thats my guess. I havent tested it tho.

Edited by Draxxon

I went back to look at the v9 large box art, its huge, it covers the white boarder that was made for it in the background. But, I think it looks nice.

Its deff way better than before, and you can see more details in the images. I believe this is the size the AFB9Gold displayed at.

to be clear the size is 211x290 and 122x168. same sizes they have always been, they just show up differently in game in the menu now.

We have an opportunity to take the mistake of these early AFBX's, actually run with the smaller LFB box art sizes of 183x255 and 122x170 and save on pack sizes with 1000s of games.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MrFister said:

2 ways to install these.

1:  Rename downloaded file to "atari_update" (without quotes) and copy to fresh formatted usb drive.  Insert the drive and turn on the console and follow directions for update. (Requires OTG cable and USB drive)

2:  Use AndroidTools and flash the update file to the console. Requires drivers to be installed to pc and a data usb cable.

Sounds like you were wondering how to update this to your console, correct?

On a side not, I uploaded the wrong 0.1.9 cfw base.img file in the original post.  The rom partition was missing in the final img.

So here is the new download for the base update.

Atari Flashback X Deluxe Base (AR3060S):  0.1.9 CFW [FULL BASE].img 52.01 MB · 0 downloads

After installing the 0.1.9 CFW is there a download for the additional games and artwork and other emulators?

2 minutes ago, Velvis said:

After installing the 0.1.9 CFW is there a download for the additional games and artwork and other emulators?

As far as more games go, I have a Complete USA NTSC Pack of 422 games here: 

And also Draxxon has his Nexus here: https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=814903

Nexus covers alot of different systems and has multitude of organised games.

with my pack, you will boot straight into a very similar version of Fisters NTSC pack. I moved the sears games to a new section.

either way your stuck with a version of his pack, :)  the choice is do you want folders and all the other systems, or strictly a loaded 2600 device.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

It is usually packed in full update img files but the 2.1.1 update img doesn't have it included and I don't have any lower firmware's to check.

It's what the console looks for 1st on the img file when booting into fel mode.

it would be something like this: RK30xxLoader(L)_V2-400MHz.bin

The example above is from the AFBXD and AFBX.

Edited by MrFister

https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/assets/site.webmanifest

IDK, man, I dont think I can get V. 20190226.img (released on Nov 6, 2019)

EDIT: These are for the AFB9 and old, might be the same thing and not what your looking for. thats all I got. 35MBs.
I have no idea what versions they are, but they were on an old sd card i had.

atari_update_vX.img atari_update_vY.img

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Figure I would leave this here in my firmware thread also. lol

Each of these have the 1.2Ghz overclock built in.

Also I fixed the retroplayer.io typo (River Raid).

Atari Flashback X - 0.1.21 CFW Full 1.2Ghz.img

Atari Flashback X Deluxe - 0.1.9 CFW Full 1.2Ghz.img

I have kept the original games for each console.  If someone is interested in the deluxe version games for their regular X in a update file, let me know and I will make you one.

Remember...  Although this overclocked custom firmware seems to be very stable, using these are at your own risk!

Edited by MrFister
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Draxxon said:

MrFister, this is Brads original AFB9 Gold CFW and a folder with changes I would like to add. if you can throw overclock in there, i can test that as well. 

atari_update.rar 15.31 MB · 1 download

just now seen this lol

The version I sent via message, the images folder only contains 135 images where as the images folder in this update contains 138 images.

I have updated the firmware once again I will send you via DM.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:42 PM, MrFister said:

Figure I would leave this here in my firmware thread also. lol

Each of these have the 1.2Ghz overclock built in.

Also I fixed the retroplayer.io typo (River Raid).

Atari Flashback X - 0.1.21 CFW Full 1.2Ghz.img

Atari Flashback X Deluxe - 0.1.9 CFW Full 1.2Ghz.img

I have kept the original games for each console.  If someone is interested in the deluxe version games for their regular X in a update file, let me know and I will make you one.

Remember...  Although this overclocked custom firmware seems to be very stable, using these are at your own risk!

Turning the X into a X Deluxe would be great.

I'm not sure if the forum allows you, but can you edit your first post, and put these overclocked ones in there as well?

Thank you for your hard work!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:09 AM, MrFister said:

...the images folder only contains 135 images where as the images folder in this update contains 138 images...

If you're referring to the FB9 Gold, just a heads up: the images folder has some extra unused images from the Genesis FB, so you don't have to worry if there are more files in that res folder than the Standard (some resource files have different names though).  There's an Altered Beast game cover and a couple other resource images from the Sega FB that don't get used.  My Gold is set up to read the emulator folder from the SD card and I deleted some of those extra images since they aren't needed.

• 10 months later...

Quick question - sorry if already answered, I couldn't tell from looking at the previous posts:

I have updated Atari Flashback X to firmware 0.1.18, through the PC to Console method. I want to update to the latest version (0.1.21), however I don't have an OTG Y cable - is there any cfw full base version of the 0.1.21 firmware for the AR3060?

Also, is flashing the cfw full base version 0.1.19 for the AR3060S (effectively turning the X onto a Deluxe) an option, in order to get the extra games, or will it brick the console?

I want to have the flashback X updated to the latest version possible before joining the Nexus...

Thanks guys, for your incredible work!