IGNORED

My Video Game Center

DZ-Jay

I've been meaning to get this done for years.  My video game collection has been in storage crates, stuck in the basement, for the past 7 years since my last move ... until now!

I finally got my video game center custom-built a couple of months ago.  Now I have a place for everything (including my remaining Lego spaceships).  I always intended to set it up as a small retro living room, with a couple of chairs and a small coffee table, so there is still work to be done; but at least I finally got to get my stuff out of storage! :)

IMG_0155-fixed.thumb.jpg.3a0ae94c51c9ef681859c94f4bed2dfe.jpg

Now, that's the organizational setup.  I still need to hook everything up (yes, I am slow and tend to procrastinate).

I do have a multi-system switch box to enable me to easily switch between the various consoles.  My aim is to configure it in a way that requires minimum effort to play, so I can just pick a console, grab a cartridge (or disc, or card, or whatever), and play. :)

The consoles shown above are (below the TV, from left to right):

• Intellivision Master Component
  • ColecoVision
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Playstation 2 (standard and compact)
  • Playstation 3

In addition, we have:

• Vectrex (to the right of the TV)
  • iCade (to the left of the TV)
  • Apple Homepod (far left on the base platform)
  • Nintendo DS in carrying case (two-shelves above the Homepod)
  • Apple iPod Mini (to the right of the DS case)
  • Intellivision 25 Direct-to-TV game (far right, fourth shelf from the top)

Games on display are:

• Intellivision games main collection (to the far right, to three shelves)
  • Intellivision Home-brews collection (to the far right, bottom shelf)
  • Intellivision duplicates CIB (to the far left, top shelf)
  • Intellivision duplicates cart-only (sandwich between Homepod and iCade)
  • Playstation 1, 2, 3 games (to the far left below Intellivision duplicates)
  • Nintendo DS games (on shelf with Playstation games)
  • Nintendo Wii and GameCube games (below Playstation games)

Hidden from view scattered within the cabinets are:

• Additional Intellivision duplicate carts
  • Various Intellivision components
    • Intellivision Master Component (quite a few:  Scart/Peritel, PAL, and NTSC)
    • Intellivision II Master Component (2x Sealed)
      • Intellivoice (quite a few, with and without boxes)
    • ECS (1 CIB American edition, 1 CIB European "brown" edition)
    • System Changer
  • ColecoVision Expansion Module #1 (Atari Adapter)
  • Various Flashback units
    • Intellivision (3x: 1 signed by Keith, 1 signed by all other BSRs, 1 retail bought at Dollar General)
    • Atari 2600
    • Sega Genesis
    • ColecoVision
  • Various Playstation 2 components:
    • EyeToy
    • Logitech Driving Force (steering wheel/pedals)
    • Pelican Real Arcade joystick control panel
    • Guitar Hero controller

And of course, what's left of my Lego Star Wars spaceship collection, after I sold most of them in preparation for my last move (at the very top of the cabinet):

• Tie Interceptor
  • X-Wing Fighter
  • AT-ST Walker (not shown, because it fell apart and needs to be re-built)

Everything shown (and not shown) is in perfect working order.  In fact, apart from a few sealed Intellivision II consoles and a few shrink-wrapped Intellivision games, everything is intended for (semi-)regular use. :)

My aim is to get everything hooked up and ready to go by summer (yep, I'm counting on that procrastination kicking in).

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 11

9 minutes ago, eebuckeye said:

Woah.. that is impressive!  I want to come over! ?

Hehehe, sure.  Once I finally get it hooked up.   It may be a while, though.

I think the cabinet is more impressive than my collection.  @Rev came over to see it one day and sort of laughed off that I actually called it a "collection."  He said something like, "where's the rest?  Oh ... that's it?  Meh.  Lightweight."

I don't pretend to be a real collector, everything I buy I ostensibly intend to play with.  :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Hehehe, sure.  Once I finally get it hooked up.   It may be a while, though.

I think the cabinet is more impressive than my collection.  @Rev came over to see it one day and sort of laughed off that I actually called it a "collection."  He said something like, "where's the rest?  Oh ... that's it?  Meh.  Lightweight."

I don't pretend to be a real collector, everything I buy I ostensibly intend to play with.  :)

-dZ.

Same with me. I love opening sealed copies, too! But I really need a setup like yours. I'm at a point now where I can't even use what I have because I simply don't have room to set it up. I got an Aquarius computer back on Monday and all I've been able to do is stare at it longingly. I'd have to take down my Intellivision setup to make room for it, and that's just not practical.

18 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Fantastic set-up! Congratulations ! Lucky you!

Now you just need to place a big and highly comfortable couch just in front of the TV to play!

Yeah!  That's the plan.  But first ... I need to get off my bum and hook it all up!

3 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Looking at it again, the black and white, angular stylings of your built-ins compliments the stylings of the INT II and various accessories.

Yeah, thanks.  I have two Intellivision II's, but unfortunately they are both sealed in their original boxes and, although tempted, I'm not inclined to open them.  I need to buy myself an open one and put it up in the cabinet.

3 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Yeah, thanks.  I have two Intellivision II's, but unfortunately they are both sealed in their original boxes and, although tempted, I'm not inclined to open them.  I need to buy myself an open one and put it up in the cabinet.

Do you have one with a red stripe? It was a variant that came out to match the ECS, System Changer, and Music Keyboard. Just saying, there's a natural place in your shelving to echo that red stripe.

Edited by Intelligentleman

8 hours ago, intellivotion said:

beautiful!

I couldn't but notice the seven copies of Christmas Carol. Which definitely needs a sequel. Or a prequel. Or even a spin-off

?

A pre-spin-quel-off is definitely in the plans ... :ponder:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Hey Jay,

And where are you going to place the Amico in you fantastic playwall ??

It looks already full...

LOL!  You can't tell from the angle, but that's actually only the side wall at the entrance of my living room.  The deal I have with my wife is to just set up the retro video game center in that corner, and let the rest of the living room be our normal entertainment area.

What you don't see is that opposite from that wall, there is a rather large entertainment area with a fireplace and all.  That's were our regular big screen TV goes with all the modern trimmings -- including ... our Nintendo Switch and any other modern consoles we may get.

So, that's just the "retro corner."  Ultimately, the living room is split into two areas:  the "retro" corner, and the rest.  At least that's the plan ...  :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

LOL!  You can't tell from the angle, but that's actually only the side wall at the entrance of my living room.  The deal I have with my wife is to just set up the retro video game center in that corner, and let the rest of the living room be our normal entertainment area.

What you don't see is that opposite from that wall, there is a rather large entertainment area with a fireplace and all.  That's were our regular big screen TV goes with all the modern trimmings -- including ... our Nintendo Switch and any other modern consoles we may get.

So, that's just the "retro corner."  Ultimately, the living room is split into two areas:  the "retro" corner, and the rest.  At least that's the plan ...  :)

-dZ.

Makes a lot of sense!?

Now we have just to wait for the Amico start of sales !