IGNORED

Fujinet pulsing sound question

Mark2008

Wow, I sound so exhausted in this video, well I am exhausted.

Anyway I'm 100% undecided and don't really know what to think of this sound.

I know most people don't want to watch a video, but I'm not great at describing these issues.

I will just say it is kind of a repeating tik,tik,tik sound when the fujinet is plugged in - but only noticed it before, but then again I rarely have the sound turned on.  I was just testing the sound today.

Anything that sounds like that, and pulses and clicks, causing squealing etc, is bad news... I sure wouldn't use it. Ground loops, spurious spikes and the like are bad for almost any machine in general. (Not to mention your ears!)... There more than likely are fixes posted for those issues and they need to be applied... full stop

Edited by _The Doctor__

The clicks are at about 200ms intervals when I tapped it out in a tempo finder, so my guess is it's related to the wifi beacon frames transmitted from your AP, which are often in multiples of 100ms, plus a DTIM multiple of 2 as a common default. The DTIM interval allows low-power wifi radios to "sleep" and will "wake up" every 2 beacons for the "Delivery Traffic Indication Message" to see if any traffic is queud for the device..

The random other intermittent clicks may be from other traffic on your wifi network, or broadcasts.

How far away is your AP from the Fujinet? Is the audio noise present on the audio-out of the atari, when not running through the monitor?

If it is just the DTIM 'wakeup' of the FujiNet, the interference would be from the processor in the FujiNet itself...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark2008 said:

Wow, I sound so exhausted in this video, well I am exhausted.

Anyway I'm 100% undecided and don't really know what to think of this sound.

I know most people don't want to watch a video, but I'm not great at describing these issues.

I will just say it is kind of a repeating tik,tik,tik sound when the fujinet is plugged in - but only noticed it before, but then again I rarely have the sound turned on.  I was just testing the sound today.

Sounds like pulsating RF noise, eventually finding its way through the host's analog audio-path. It could be coming right through SIO's audio input. 

Remember those shields many people disposed of when performing internal upgrades !? Well, it seems that they may end up helping a bit, and the thicker and beefier they are, the better! ;-)

• Like 1

Sounds like some part of the FujiNet acts like a receiver (not the WiFi transceiver?) that leaks to the SIO audio-in pin.

I have a very old Dual record player with built-in amplifier to which you could also connect a radio, or cassette player. Even if nothing was connected, and nothing was playing, if you cranked up the volume way up to eleven, you could hear AM radio stations :)

• Like 2

maybe a tinfoil and taroid party between the fujinet and the source of the radiating offender would help

shields up captain? shields up?

I still wouldn't be operating anything doing that myself though...

Edited by _The Doctor__

11 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

maybe a tinfoil and taroid party between the fujinet and the source of the radiating offender would help

shields up captain? shields up?

I still wouldn't be operating anything doing that myself though...

A strategy to deal with this may well be... distance.

Get Lotharek's SIO hub (4+1 ports, minimum) and place it away and in a central position. Then hook Fujinet on wither the "hub" main port, or any of the four "split" ports, while sitting away from the computer.

While doing this, also TURN OFF all radios (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.) and start by turning them on, one-by-one, if Fujinet allows for it. Just check which one is the offender.

Last but not least, the computer's shields: anyone that tossed them in favor of upgrades that never cared for their presence and original purpose, they are pretty much toast. Little you can do in that scenario (this is assuming they would help in BOTH directions, as the primary goals of those shields was to absorb computer-emitted RF radiation, though...)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

They work in both directions as intended, shields off around here get you radio noise and music, sometimes herring bone patterns, shields on- clean video no noise and no ghostly songs and voices... hmm metal, tin, and zinc hats do work for your Atari...

just avoid the tinfoil hat crowd and you'll be fine.

Edited by _The Doctor__

[EDIT]

I was typing this before I retested.  Sorry, for the initial contradictory statements.

[Correction]

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Sounds like RF interference like I get on the PC speakers when there's a mini cab out side with its two way radio on..

Deffo does not sound normal, that would drive you insane....

Also sounds similar to when my cell phone is within 1 foot of my A8 speakers.

Record-2.wav

For my sound it does not matter whether my Atari or the #FujiNet are powered.   Only the speakers need be powered.   The speakers don't need to be connected to anything.

This is a sound I have had for years, across ownership of 3 cell phones.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1