Jump to content
emkay

The NOT derail Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, emkay said:

13 derail posts till now.  Including yours. 

As expected, the 1st by McLaneinc , the most by Stephen. 

13 derail posts till now.  Including yours. 

As expected, the 1st by McLaneinc , the most by Stephen. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Yautja said:

13 derail posts till now.  Including yours. 

As expected, the 1st by McLaneinc , the most by Stephen. 

Yawn. Show me the 1st derail thread by me...

Edited by emkay
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, emkay said:

What a fake...

This "fake" has an END SCREEN :D Yours "real McCoys" not :P 

Edited by zbyti
plural
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zbyti said:

This "fake" has an END SCREEN :D Yours "real MacCoy" not :P 

There is a difference, whether a demo is a working game engine, or not. 

Hoaxboy for example is not a working game engine.

But the Downfall Engine is already working as a full game. So what?

Also. My statement was about the vertical scrolling on the Atari. Which other computer beats that? 

 

I wonder why people like big unicolor borders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is Atari 8-bit choplifter.  

 

The particular effect here with the, I will call them red bridge supports, is they are larger in the foreground and moving faster, and smaller and moving slower in the distance, and they move right to left around a vanishing point.

 

Now, I'm not sure if in this thread I should say I'm working on this effect, or say someone should work on this effect, or the Atari is 53% more capable than the C64 concerning this effect. No, just answered my own question, the Atari is clearly 53% more capable on this particular effect, and I can prove it.

 

Not today, but you know...eventually.

chop.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm here, do you all have a better example than choplifter?

 

What' I've been toying with is with line art, that draws not a bridge, but a road, but similar concept.

 

However, I don't play that many games, if you all have better examples, I'd like to see prior art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, emkay said:

I wonder why this game never had been finished.

Being a part of the project, I can give you the answer:

The coder lost interest to finish the project after creating the effect.

Maybe he discovered that the game itself is not that entertaining...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irgendwer said:

Being a part of the project, I can give you the answer:

The coder lost interest to finish the project after creating the effect.

Maybe he discovered that the game itself is not that entertaining...

 

That's a shame. It looks awfully similar to Man Goes Down for the 2600, which is quite excellent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, adam242 said:

That's a shame. It looks awfully similar to Man Goes Down for the 2600, which is quite excellent.

If you really like that gaming principle, you could give

 

Gowno spadajace w dol

 

http://a8.fandal.cz/files/binaries/games/g/gowno_spadajace_w_dol.png

 

a try.

Came out a little bit later - so not really the need to create a somewhat better but similar game.

So if I ever would use such background engine, I would create a different game.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, Mark2008 said:

While I'm here, do you all have a better example than choplifter?

 

What' I've been toying with is with line art, that draws not a bridge, but a road, but similar concept.

 

However, I don't play that many games, if you all have better examples, I'd like to see prior art.

Might be they laugh, because there is some special development going on on the C64 

"Parallaxian"

 

 

 

 

It's all in 320 resolution. 

But , if you have a closer look, you see the hard limits there.

The game is scrolling horizontally and vertically parallax. 

It might look good at the 1st view, but then you might recognize that it only uses 1/3rd of a Display Device. (it's about 138(276) x200 . The exact resolution is hard to determine ) . 

Particular this combination of horizontal and vertical scrolling is directly programmable on the Atari. 

The colorisation is rather flat. Even if you see the depth projection, the color kills it all. 

On the Atari you could use different brightnee steps to enhance the depth impression. 

It isn't possible to have this colorful screen in hires on the Atari, but you can do even more complex scrolling without a border , depending on the display device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, emkay said:

Particular this combination of horizontal and vertical scrolling is directly programmable on the Atari. 

The colorisation is rather flat. Even if you see the depth projection, the color kills it all. 

On the Atari you could use different brightnee steps to enhance the depth impression. 

It isn't possible to have this colorful screen in hires on the Atari, but you can do even more complex scrolling without a border , depending on the display device. 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:14 PM, emkay said:

One of my biggest requests is not to try to do C64 stuff on the Atari. 

 

🙄

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

 

🙄

1+1=2

 

Mark2008 asked a question, and I was answerig it. 

 

 

And you didn't read my post . 

If he wants to do such a thing, he should stick to the Atari's Hardware features and ignore the "Haha" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, emkay said:

 

Might be they laugh, because there is some special development going on on the C64 

"Parallaxian"

 

 

 

 

It's all in 320 resolution. 

But , if you have a closer look, you see the hard limits there.

The game is scrolling horizontally and vertically parallax. 

It might look good at the 1st view, but then you might recognize that it only uses 1/3rd of a Display Device. (it's about 138(276) x200 . The exact resolution is hard to determine ) . 

Particular this combination of horizontal and vertical scrolling is directly programmable on the Atari. 

The colorisation is rather flat. Even if you see the depth projection, the color kills it all. 

On the Atari you could use different brightnee steps to enhance the depth impression. 

It isn't possible to have this colorful screen in hires on the Atari, but you can do even more complex scrolling without a border , depending on the display device. 

 

Oddly I have seen that game, I was going around on youtube looking for videos, because I've become such a huge fan of youtube bloggers.

 

Especially flashjazzcat and "8-bit and more" of atari age, but also I run across some c64 news.

 

Well that particular example, doesn't rotate around a vanishing point.   I'm not sure such a specific example will be found.  Which is cool, if I was actualy doing something new...but I somehow also doubt that.

 

Anyway, I'm not planning on any hardware assist, at the moment.  What I've got planned will be unpacked in the vbi to screen memory.

This isn't easy to explain in text, and probably unnecessary to this thread, lol...  oh well, probably the best thing to do is find some time to code up the example, but...work is non stop hammering me.  Heck, I've been on Atari Age at least since 2007, so I've been a retro Atarian for way longer than I ever used it in the 80's, but.....I never get no stinking time!  ack....speaking of which, I better get back to work...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, zbyti said:

This BG scroll is simple trick rather then Vertical Scrolling Powerhouse I suppose...

Yeah simple charset rotation… Flimbo’s Quest is harder in terms

Of Parallaxing… few maybe hundert bytes per frame rotated in dedicated chars/tiles while platforms are players but even if not simple enough to copy underlying parallax Data into it…

 

there is no need of copy or combine 2 layers or more into one….

 

 

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Yeah simple charset rotation… Flimbo’s Quest is harder in terms

Of Parallaxing… few maybe hundert bytes per frame rotated in dedicated chars/tiles while platforms are players but even if not simple enough to copy underlying parallax Data into it…

 

there is no need of copy or combine 2 layers or more into one….

 

Now that's proper parallax scrolling where layers actually overlap!! That "stunning" horizontal and vertical parallax on the C64 does none of that and is extremely easy on the Atari 8-bit with some display list juggling you can stretch vertically to simulate the plane going in the air, and back again. Horizontally is just HSCROL at different speeds. No overlap of mountains or terrain features at any speed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ivop said:

(...) is extremely easy on the Atari 8-bit with some display list juggling you can stretch vertically to simulate the plane going in the air, and back again. Horizontally is just HSCROL at different speeds. No overlap of mountains or terrain features at any speed.

It is so simple that no one bothers to do it on the A8 :]

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ivop said:

Now that's proper parallax scrolling where layers actually overlap!! That "stunning" horizontal and vertical parallax on the C64 does none of that and is extremely easy on the Atari 8-bit with some display list juggling you can stretch vertically to simulate the plane going in the air, and back again. Horizontally is just HSCROL at different speeds. No overlap of mountains or terrain features at any speed.

Those fake scenes remind of that any emulation could show things that weren't possible on the real thing. 

In theory the PMG is such a parallax overlay. It't just the details missing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)


me in Nintendoland for 2 years… well… I got some layers for free ;) and sprites ;) and music ;) 

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, zbyti said:

It is so simple that no one bothers to do it on the A8 :]

That's not my problem. But it is easy on the A8. Display List something like:

 

empty space

High mountains (DLI slow scroll)

empty space

Low mountains  (DLI less slow scroll)

empty space

Rocks (DLI faster scroll)

empty space

Bushes (DLI fastest scroll)

last empty space

Game stats (no scroll)

 

By modifying the DL on-the-fly, you can vary the empty spaces at will and simulate height.

For example, you start with dta 0,0 and work your way up to dta 112,112 to increase the space. Last empty space has to constantly fill up the last missing lines so the stats stay at a constant position.

 

 

Edited by ivop
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:


me in Nintendoland for 2 years… well… I got some layers for free ;) and sprites ;) and music ;) 

That looks very nice! Especially when the broken walls enter the picture. That guy looks like he rushing for the toilet to do a number two ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ivop said:

That's not my problem.

It must be someone's problem if new productions are to be made 😜 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Yautja said:

13 derail posts till now.  Including yours. 

As expected, the 1st by McLaneinc , the most by Stephen. 

To respond that he derailed his own thread is actually on topic considering derailing is the topic..If you look I'd not entered the thread until then, if I was looking to derail it I think I would have been in there straight away.

 

The usual false presumptions...Sigh...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

To respond that he derailed his own thread is actually on topic considering derailing is the topic..If you look I'd not entered the thread until then, if I was looking to derail it I think I would have been in there straight away.

 

The usual false presumptions...Sigh...

Again nothing about anything Atari related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heaven/TQA said:


me in Nintendoland for 2 years… well… I got some layers for free ;) and sprites ;) and music ;) 

Top work there, as always...No doubt I'll be marked as derailing the thread for daring to congratulate a programmer..Sigh..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emkay said:

Again nothing about anything Atari related. 

Topic related...The C64 is nothing to do with Atari but you always keep saying about it...Please, don't use double standards..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...