IGNORED

Wanted: quick-start guide to starting software

Harry Potter

Only the Myarc floppy controllers (DDCC1, HFDC) contain a directory list routine (CALL DIR); for normal BASIC/Extended BASIC there is no such command. The directory on a TI file system is a pseudo file with data sets; you have to open it, read each record, and print it in a suitable way on the screen.

Yes, this sounds cumbersome, and the "normal user" in TI's view of those days had a cassette recorder.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

I'm using Classic99 and want to start an assortment of games and applications.  I typed DIR, DIRECTORY and CATALOG but got an Invalid Command error.

Classic99 uses the standard TI floppycontroller (which does not support any DIR command)

Watchout here what I wrote some days ago:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/317672-text-mandelbrot-is-available-for-the-ti-994-now/?do=findComment&comment=4764257

This means, you may use RXB (Rich Exended Basic) on Classic99 to do a CALL DIR....

but RXB does not come within the Classic99 IIRC, so this would be the next challenge for you ;)

So, a better way is, as you use windows, to use TI99DIR to explore your .DSK-files, using it next to your Classic99 session.

It´s a bit like Norton Commander, and maybe the most easy way to start. Find it here:

https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html#tidir

Just setup and run, it´s intuitive.

And when you see how the files names are, you can tinker around with starting them soon.

The empty .DSKs for playing around you already got last days, in that other topic here.

PS:

And don´t forget to map a .DSK-file into your DSK1 @ Classic99 via the "Disk"-menu,

like done here:

grafik.thumb.png.2be6a5c5ed2d0e4a957e14d2a1aece72.png

I am not sure, but I think that a maximum of a 180KB-disks is supported (as this emulation uses the standard TI floppycontroller)

So don´t try a 360KB .DSK (until someone tells you something other) :) :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Can somebody tell me how to start a program from disk on a TI99/4A emulator?  I typed in a few commands which might list the directory but got an error message.

Not knowing what command prompt you are entering, I suspect you are likely in TI-Basic.  OLD DSK1.filename will load basic files from DSK1.  Program names with LOAD, are generally run from Extended Basic and not TI-BASIC.  Most programs if not run from the Editor/Assembler, will generally be Extended Basic programs.

If you see filenames that are 33 sectors (possibly 32 sectors depending upon the disk manager) with a length of 8192 bytes, these are generally Editor/Assembler files that load from Option #5.  Programs like DM2K will have 4 files (DM2K, DM2L, DM2M, DM2N) which require you to enter DSK1.DM2K as the first file in the sequence.

If something doesn't load, post a screenshot of what you are trying to load and someone can likely guide you to the specific method.  Of course, if the program has documentation, that might be a good start on indicating how to run the program <grin>.

Beery

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1