IGNORED

Best Atari Games to induce Ragequit? :)

Xebec

I guess my thought is, frustration inducing would come from a sense of unfairness, rather than difficulty level.

Like the many games where a collision detection seem to fail, or something similar.   But to name an actual game, the only one comes to mind is the original 2600 combat "1 vs. 3" biplane level.   A good player using the 3 biplanes could just continuously kick your ass and there was precious nothing you could do about it.

I wanted to like Elektraglide.  I found it very difficult.  Mirax Force too.  Played the hell out of Donkey Kong and Montezuma's Revenge, though.

For what it's worth, I found Star Raiders to be pretty difficult, but so impressive.

Sincerely, 

Rhopressa Ophthalmic

I found that a lot of the "budget" games from the late 80s / early 90s seemed more like demos (heavy on music and graphics, not very playable).  I would learn later that some of this was due to my NTSC limitations.  I still don't have a PAL machine but I don't really care.

2 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Yes I wrote that there is a patched version. nice of you to omit that part from the quoted text. I added that as not everyone is familiar with it. 

Elektraglide... Speak for yourself. I enjoy both games in PAL. 

I was responding to to Eric and you... so take it with a grain of salt, it did not quote both of you...

in event...

what are you talking about it's in the quotation, at least on my screen...??? I am starting to wonder if we all see the same thing on AA sometimes.. It's a now you see it now you don't affair... I didn't see it in the original message you left but it's there... and it is also in my quotation(go back and look it is there so why you act like I cut it off when I didn't)... did the thread rebuild? is it so slow we don't see it finished by the time we read and quote... odd. I do see it is in my quote though... does anyone not see his mention of the patch in the quote? This could be something to investigate if some people are seeing the whole thing and others do not... screen size, phone mode... there may be something to this.. maybe not, but a good thing to check none the less. If you are going to say someone did a bad thing and clearly they didn't... you might want to double check first. The FULL quote is there.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Me dying fast and often: Mouse Trap, Cohen's Tower, Shamus

Lot of cursing: Abracadabra, when blocked by moving walls until the time is up. So unfair.

Receiving letters of complaint about: Curse of the Lost Miner, controls too stiff.

Me sweating: Ollies Follies. Must that fu...er have so much inertia?? But a great game otherwise.

• Like 1

without a doubt, Abracadabra pisses me off, walling up the key or exit and never leaving it open back up... and it's the only time it acts like that too! Great game, best game ever being played... nope no exit or key for you... forever more you must now die and start the level again... no bonus trinket really and down a life. Un fricken fair... rage! reset! try again... no you pr*ck again... power off!

Edited by _The Doctor__

5 minutes ago, wmt029 said:

Shamus def comes to mind. It was such a large map of rooms and it wasn't fun going all the way back to square one after a long run.

Yeah, at least possibility to start from the color level already reached would have been nice. Can the revamped Shamus do that?

On 2/28/2021 at 11:30 AM, Xebec said:

So what are your (favorite :)) nominations for Atari 8bit games that are most capable of inducing #Ragequit?

Yes these are just games, and yes they're all meant to be enjoyed.. but let's have some fun and assume you're predisposed to raging at "unfair" games -- what would they be? :)

A few to start the discussion:

- Fort Apocalypse - some sections are *extremely* unforgiving on collisions requiring a lot of patience

- Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves - If you're not prepared for constantly respawning (Dark Souls style) then you won't have a good time

- The Last V8 - played on a NTSC system when it's intended for PAL is quite the challenge

What else do others recommend? :)

Don't know about Rage-Quit... but I do know the all-time, #1, grind-your-teeth, bad-loser-masochist title:

Star Raiders. Commander Mission, 1979

Try that, and you will soon be at your nearest dentist... 8-)

Edited by Faicuai

On 2/28/2021 at 11:30 AM, Xebec said:

So what are your (favorite :)) nominations for Atari 8bit games that are most capable of inducing #Ragequit?

Yes these are just games, and yes they're all meant to be enjoyed.. but let's have some fun and assume you're predisposed to raging at "unfair" games -- what would they be? :)

A few to start the discussion:

- Fort Apocalypse - some sections are *extremely* unforgiving on collisions requiring a lot of patience

- Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves - If you're not prepared for constantly respawning (Dark Souls style) then you won't have a good time

- The Last V8 - played on a NTSC system when it's intended for PAL is quite the challenge

What else do others recommend? :)

For some reason I used to be able to play Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves for hours, something about that game used to fascinate me. I think I eventually got to the end of it.

I finished the Last V8 too. I remember I finally got into the base with no idea where to go, I just fumbled and bumbled my way to the end of it. My friend couldn't believe it.

Edited by wmt029

2 hours ago, baktra said:

Yeah, at least possibility to start from the color level already reached would have been nice. Can the revamped Shamus do that?

Revamped Shamus? For Atari or something else? I vaguely remember there being a Gameboy Color version.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, Fres said:

For what it's worth, I found Star Raiders to be pretty difficult, but so impressive.

15 hours ago, Faicuai said:

...but I do know the all-time, #1, grind-your-teeth, bad-loser-masochist title: Star Raiders. Commander Mission, 1979

Star Raiders was the first game I ever played on the system (and the only one for a while).

After a few weeks, I could get "Star Commander" ranking on the "Commander" mission with regularity.

At the time, I was only using a black & white, 6" Sony CRT too. :cool:

Loved that game, and still do.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 7:11 PM, Goochman said:

Pharaohs curse, really?  That game is very forgiving :) Now figuring you where the last piece you need is can be frustrating!

On 3/2/2021 at 12:13 AM, slx said:

But when the bird carries you away and drops you somewhere deadly...

Really.  You state one reason, six states the other - that f'n bat.