IGNORED

HSC18 Round 4: FROGGER

therealbountybob

Frogger

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY - POST SCORES FOR MISSED ROUNDS AS YOU WISH!

Now which hopping version?!!!

Parker Bros. (Cartridge release) OR Sierra On-Line (Disk release) (1982 John Harris). Both have the red time bar. Play either game on both FAST and SLOW speeds, post both scores.

frogger.png.a23e470b3156be5d48f95a0ad494d615.pngfrogger_parker_bros.gif.75653c0305cad80c207189d9d4d5de58.gif

John Harris 1982

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1894

Parker Brothers

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-frogger_5990.html

Slow and Fast scores will probably be combined for the table (based on last time we played in HSC).

Round closes Sunday 14th March 10AM UK time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY - POST SCORES FOR MISSED ROUNDS AS YOU WISH!

2 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Parker Bros. (Cartridge release) OR Sierra On-Line (Disk release) (1982 John Harris).

Are those interchangeable, HSC wise? I found that the Parker Bros ROM version won't boot from my SIO2SD. I found the same file as BIN and CAR on AtariOnline, but neither would load as well. The Sierra On-Line XEX version boots and plays OK, so if both versions essentially are the same, I'll stick with Sierra On-Line unless a different (XEX? ATR?) cracked version of the Parker Bros game can be surfaced.

Oh yeah, some testing the waters super low scores:

Slow (SoL) - 4820 pts

Fast (SoL) - 5040 pts 7015 pts

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, McKong said:

Extra life in this version

I'm not sure if you meant you obtained an extra life with your score, but it is worth pointing out:

Parker Bros version: Starts with 4 frogs, lets you decrease to 0 frogs and play your last life.

John Harris version: Starts with 5 frogs, lets you decrease to 1 frogs, but once you're down to 0 it is game over.

In means the number of lives are the same, just that the life counter is different. 0 frogs in PB = 1 frog in SoL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

I'm not sure if you meant you obtained an extra life with your score, but it is worth pointing out:

Parker Bros version: Starts with 4 frogs, lets you decrease to 0 frogs and play your last life.

John Harris version: Starts with 5 frogs, lets you decrease to 1 frogs, but once you're down to 0 it is game over.

In means the number of lives are the same, just that the life counter is different. 0 frogs in PB = 1 frog in SoL.

I meant it started with an extra life, but I didn't realise the difference between the minimum lives before game over, so good point

• Like 2

Now I had to look up how the arcade games does it. I suppose the number of lives is configurable, but the video I watched starts with seven frogs of which six are visible. The game keeps going for one life after the last frog is removed, meaning that it matches how the Parker Bros version does it, except for the number of lives to begin with. The flicker-fest that is the 2600 version does the same. On the C64, both Chuck Benton's version for Sierra On-Line and the unnamed programmer for Parker Bros version (yes, there were several official versions also on the Commode) follow this behavior. It kind of makes John Harris' version stand out from being different.

I also found a video by Ania Kubów where she makes her own Frogger game in JavaScript, HTML and CSS.

• Like 2

Parker Brothers - Fast: 14,560

20210302_233830.thumb.jpg.f4167a7a13be257df3a21380b1a919e6.jpg

I played the John Harris version too and scored about the same on fast. The only difference I can see (besides changed graphics and music) is the little otter that shows up in the higher levels. Does it hurt you somehow? I don't remember getting hit by it at all.

• Like 2