IGNORED

PocketGo handheld system Intellivision emulator

Rev

Lots of handhelds from China can come pre-loaded with stuff.  Usually the Intellivision is included along with a lot of other classic 8-bit systems like the ColecoVision.  Definitely give them a look see on Aliexpress, eBay, etc.  Would recommend something from Anbernic, like the RG351P.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the S30 model, it arrived today from China after a month or so. There’s a guy online who has a free update that improves some things and adds support for way more systems including Intellivision. I copied a few roms and got some working, the lack (so far) of keypad input support seems to be the main limitation but some of the simpler games work, I need to read up more on this.

0AB845F2-EE0F-4B1E-B234-0D42CAEFE99C.thumb.png.90c969f02814a8124414394be7ce26a6.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2021 at 6:45 PM, Steve Jones said:

I ordered the S30 model, it arrived today from China after a month or so. There’s a guy online who has a free update that improves some things and adds support for way more systems including Intellivision. I copied a few roms and got some working, the lack (so far) of keypad input support seems to be the main limitation but some of the simpler games work, I need to read up more on this.

0AB845F2-EE0F-4B1E-B234-0D42CAEFE99C.thumb.png.90c969f02814a8124414394be7ce26a6.png

What is your review of the PocketGo now that you had it a while?

Im debating getting this or Evercade.    PocketGo can hold more games......

• Like 1

The emulator they are using for Intellivision has noticeably distorted audio, most games work on it including new homebrews, the only one that doesn’t work so far is Intellivania.

2C5261BA-678B-46AE-AED6-F07CC4A5C7FF.thumb.jpeg.497f6416712538cc248d655088fb2b1a.jpeg

98915AD7-5FEB-41FF-A855-71D787A29538.thumb.jpeg.853f55a152ef4318bbcf3e8819df1638.jpeg

Realistically this is best for simpler games with basic controls, technically you can access the keypad(by my thumb on the left) but it’s not easily accessable while playing.

DD14C598-2A42-4EC7-A375-67C98C2A65BC.thumb.jpeg.4383fae53c68a72511ec0a6edf348aa8.jpeg

I can’t get the Colecovision emulator running, it seems overly complicated to do so, but the following all work well and easily.

Atari 7800, NES, SNES, Genesis, MAME, GBA, Sony PS1, PSP.

Note it doesn’t support all these out of the box but if you go here, this guy has hacked the firmware so it does.

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/02/13/introducing-simple30-an-optimized-pocketgo-s30-firmware/

It supports lots of other older systems too, roms are easy to find online, so are the bios files needed to run each emulator.

Roms are saved on a micro sd card, this comes with some no name brand, I would buy with the smallest option they have then replace it with a reputable brand.

Technically this runs a N64 emulator but it kind of chokes on the 3D so I would say realistically that’s the limit of what this can handle.

The Evercade seems more turn on and go, this one requires a bit of work, but you can’t beat the price of the games. And the system is only $60

After a while the screen seems a bit small, I think the Evercade lets you connect to your TV, this does not.

I will likely buy the Evercade too once the Intellivision carts come out, but as much for collectability as gameplay.

I have learned a lot about older gaming systems I previously ignored while setting this up and finding games, a lot of repetition over the years, just nicer bigger versions of existing concepts a lot of the time

but still some great games.

For $60, you can’t really go wrong with this, it does take a long time to arrive from China but otherwise no real complaints.

Edited by Steve Jones
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/28/2021 at 2:38 PM, Rev said:

Pretty cool actually.  I may have to get one. 

Does anyone have this?

I might be a little late to the game here but I have something like this. I just recently purchased a PowKiddy V90 handheld console. It runs the same open linux system custom firmware as the Pocketgo and Bittboy Gameboy style handhelds. I was able to get 2 of them for just under $72 on aliexpress.com.

It works great for everything up to the 16-bit generation. Although it struggles a little bit with some SNES titles. The 3 inch screen with the clamshell design is really nice though. 

I do have jzintv running on mine and it works really well for games that don't require a lot of rapid keypad input. It's a great way to play the best ever version of BurgerTime on the go.

POWKIDDY V90 3-inch IPS Screen Retro Handheld Console 16 Simulators 3000  Games | eBay

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Intellinate said:

I might be a little late to the game here but I have something like this. I just recently purchased a PowKiddy V90 handheld console. It runs the same open linux system custom firmware as the Pocketgo and Bittboy Gameboy style handhelds. I was able to get 2 of them for just under $72 on aliexpress.com.

It works great for everything up to the 16-bit generation. Although it struggles a little bit with some SNES titles. The 3 inch screen with the clamshell design is really nice though. 

I do have jzintv running on mine and it works really well for games that don't require a lot of rapid keypad input. It's a great way to play the best ever version of BurgerTime on the go.

POWKIDDY V90 3-inch IPS Screen Retro Handheld Console 16 Simulators 3000  Games | eBay

How is the audio in yours? Mine has distortion in most Intellivision games though other systems sound find so I assume it is the emulator.

I think mine is running one called FreeINTV, not good old reliable JZIntv

29 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

How is the audio in yours? Mine has distortion in most Intellivision games though other systems sound find so I assume it is the emulator.

I think mine is running one called FreeINTV, not good old reliable JZIntv

The audio has been perfect in every game I've tried. The only problem I've had is that it won't play my Ms. PacMan rom and I think that's because it uses an older version of jzintv. I'm thinking about making a short YouTube video and posting it here to show some of the features and how well it actually works.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If anyone is looking for portable Intellivision emulation, I’d recommend considering a Nintendo DSi or 2DS/3DS running TWiLightMenu++ and our very own Llabnip’s Nintellivision emulator.  It’s based on a much improved version of the BLISS core and will play pretty much anything you throw at it (except ECS). Also includes customizable overlay touchscreen support, menu driven control customization, built-in game manuals, save states, high score saves, and numerous other options. It’s really a thing of beauty.  Llabnip a.k.a. Wavemotion has also spent a ton of time modernizing and improving TWiLightMenu++ emulators for the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, XEGS and most recently Colecovision.  I bought a 2DS XL for this purpose a few months back and have zero regrets. It’s a great piece of hardware and can also handle NES/SMS/SNES/SG/T16 emulation really well. If you just want to run the classic systems, for the money you can’t beat a DSi XL. Llabnip’s emulators will run great on that system.

Edited by ts-x
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I know I'm posting to a more or less dead thread, but hey...

I had a DSi XL a few years back and was using it with a DSTwo to play older console games and a few DS games along the way.  But it never was my all-in-all because there was no real Intellivision support on it. Eventually I sold it.  Seeing this posting and doing a little research has prodded me to pick up another DSi XL and use the "pen.bin" exploit with the camera app to load TWiLightMenu++ and boom! lots of great gaming again (and no need for a DSTwo or R4 cart)!  I don't pay much attention to this gaming space, but this is a very simple exploit on DSi handhelds and then you're basically treating an SD card like a multi-cart for the DS.  I'm able to load DS games from the SD card, but also various emulators for older systems that I enjoy, including the Nintellivision emulator linked above.

This DSi is now going to be my main go-to for handheld retrogaming, which is a space I've tried a few different solutions for.  Intellivision support has always been a bit of an achilles heel for various handheld emulation systems.  They can all do NES, SNES, Genesis, 2600, etc., but finding one with good Intellivision support has not been simple.  Only stuff based on retroarch/retropie has worked for Intellivision consistently (for me, anyway).  This newer Nintellivision emulator seems pretty good so far.

I should have it with me at PRGE next month...

• Like 3

On 9/20/2022 at 6:38 AM, Rick Reynolds said:

I know I'm posting to a more or less dead thread, but hey...

I had a DSi XL a few years back and was using it with a DSTwo to play older console games and a few DS games along the way.  But it never was my all-in-all because there was no real Intellivision support on it. Eventually I sold it.  Seeing this posting and doing a little research has prodded me to pick up another DSi XL and use the "pen.bin" exploit with the camera app to load TWiLightMenu++ and boom! lots of great gaming again (and no need for a DSTwo or R4 cart)!  I don't pay much attention to this gaming space, but this is a very simple exploit on DSi handhelds and then you're basically treating an SD card like a multi-cart for the DS.  I'm able to load DS games from the SD card, but also various emulators for older systems that I enjoy, including the Nintellivision emulator linked above.

This DSi is now going to be my main go-to for handheld retrogaming, which is a space I've tried a few different solutions for.  Intellivision support has always been a bit of an achilles heel for various handheld emulation systems.  They can all do NES, SNES, Genesis, 2600, etc., but finding one with good Intellivision support has not been simple.  Only stuff based on retroarch/retropie has worked for Intellivision consistently (for me, anyway).  This newer Nintellivision emulator seems pretty good so far.

I should have it with me at PRGE next month...

Question: How does it hold up against Cheezits covered hands? 

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2022 at 9:38 AM, Rick Reynolds said:

This newer Nintellivision emulator seems pretty good so far.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've sent you a few personal custom overlays - not something I put out with the emulator, but just a small collection of overlays re-structured for the 4x3 ratio of the screen just for personal use.  The touch screen here makes for a very reasonable approximation of the real controller keypad. One very important tip is to set games like AD&D Cloudy Mountain to 'Dual Action' controller type - this will let you fire and move at the same time. I've even taken to mapping AXYB and their diagonals to the 8 arrow fire buttons and mapped RUN to the shoulder buttons so that I can run-and-gun with ease.

image.thumb.png.47b7aca8b2e87f05d9cc4db91397adca.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, llabnip said:

So it should play just about everything including Intellivoice, ECS and homebrew JLP cart games - plus all the normal stuff. It does not handle bankswitching yet - so ECS World Series Baseball is out.

image.png.051792881a55c53a2c1d99f8f7ad203b.png

image.png.e7417747b167e0f636f8fd39861c0d69.png

image.thumb.png.175e6cd4619727490d6dbe00cce5b02e.png

This looks very cool, I may have to buy a DSI XL to try it out. Is it difficult to setup? Does it involve some kind of complex mod? I have never used a DSI before. Another question, which is the very best option, DSI XL or 3DS?

Edited by juancho
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, juancho said:

This looks very cool, I may have to buy a DSI XL to try it out. Is it difficult to setup? Does it involve some kind of complex mod? I have never used a DSI before. Another question, which is the very best option, DSI XL or 3DS?

I'm using a DSI XL, but I believe there are people using a 3DS for emulation.  I just don't know how many of those folks care about Intellivision emulation.

You want to look into something called TwilightMenu++.  There are howtos out there for how to run an exploit in the base DS camera software that allows custom software to run.  At a high-level, you trigger an exploit in the camera software that then loads and runs a different front-end for the DS from the SD card.  With this exploit, you do NOT need to have a special DS cart like a DS-TWO or R4i.  It's actually pretty elegant.  I'm pretty happy with my setup at this point.  I just need to make more time to actually PLAY GAMES on it...  😆

• Like 2

In my opinion, the DSi XL is the best option.  The XL screen LCD refresh is a little slower than the original DSi and so holds onto the image a bit longer which simulates the phosphor effect of a TV naturally. This provides the nicest viewing experience for most of my emulators - though Nintellivision really looks great on any DSi or 2DS/3DS models and will even run 98% of the games on the older DS-Lite hardware.  With the older DS you need a flashcart but with the DSi you can take advantage of the built-in SD card slot on the side of the unit.

And Rick is correct - using the SD card slot with any old SD card and Twilight Menu is the way to go. The camera exploit is pretty easy to use - just requires the right "things" on your SD card.  The definitive guide to getting this working on your system is here:  https://dsi.cfw.guide/

And as a bonus tip... if you only care about homebrew emulators and such... you only need the SD card slot to be working (something that was vastly underutilized during the DSi lifetime). Every month at least one otherwise nice looking DSi XL goes up on eBay with a broken (or at least wonky) flash cart slot. But if you're going to use the SD card slot anyway, you don't care and can usually score a solid unit for a fraction of the price. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, ts-x said:

If anyone is looking for portable Intellivision emulation, I’d recommend considering a Nintendo DSi or 2DS/3DS running TWiLightMenu++ and our very own Llabnip’s Nintellivision emulator.  It’s based on a much improved version of the BLISS core and will play pretty much anything you throw at it (except ECS). Also includes customizable overlay touchscreen support, menu driven control customization, built-in game manuals, save states, high score saves, and numerous other options. It’s really a thing of beauty.  Llabnip a.k.a. Wavemotion has also spent a ton of time modernizing and improving TWiLightMenu++ emulators for the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, XEGS and most recently Colecovision.  I bought a 2DS XL for this purpose a few months back and have zero regrets. It’s a great piece of hardware and can also handle NES/SMS/SNES/SG/T16 emulation really well. If you just want to run the classic systems, for the money you can’t beat a DSi XL. Llabnip’s emulators will run great on that system.