IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 6 - He-Man

I'm happy with last week. Managed a respectable score here, and also in the 2600 HSC, which I had avoided, "scared" of the game.

My decent TC score came early, but I really wound up playing it a LOT, I really love the third levels, but it's so taxing just to get to them, thb.

But this one...

Whew.

I'll be tanking this week, I do NOT have the Power of Greyskull!

• Haha 3

131,150. I may do this again if I have time this week. :)

EDIT: OMG I am SUCH an idiot... I decided to make another run at this. I just managed a 323,000 score BUT no picture so no entry. I actually got through 3 levels. I decided to just pay attention to the fireballs and only drop bombs on Skeletor if none of the "zig-zag" fireballs were on screen.

So I grabbed my phone and went to take a picture. Now I noticed before that this game will go to black screen at the end of the game after maybe 15-20 seconds (that's a guess) but if you hit the controller it will come back up with the game over screen. In my excitement to take the picture I hit the controller so it wouldn't go to the black screen.... which, as you all know, if the game isn't "asleep" it brings up the title screen.

?

EDIT 2: Apparently the last time I played this I got 438,000 so I'll have another go at this later. :)

5207B6FA-DE66-4481-A070-D43336A8DBF3.jpeg

Edited by ClassicGMR
Idiot...
  • Sad 1

Okay, I tried Zaxxon on the Intellivision.  Shame on Sega!  The Intellivision version is closer to River Raid than Zaxxon.

Also played some He-Man.  Seems like Mattel put more effort into the title screen music of He-Man than Sega put into the entire port of Zaxxon.

He-Man game play is fun, but I need to read the instructions and learn how fuel works--otherwise my games are over pretty fast despite not "dying".  ;)

• Like 3

Holy Crap...

238,300!!!(Skill 2!)

Not really a top score, but my third try on the game-I'm sure I'll improve, but even if not, dang...didn't expect sextuple digits, even, frankly.

In my tried and tested experience(lol), I like to try to go to the top left corner during the chase stages, seems to work out pretty good for me.

I guess I am mostly staying towards the bottom, trying to drop as many bombs as I can(once you realize you don't actually have to HIT Skeletor, that part is easy), bombing the fireballs below me-you are mostly safe from the fireballs above, but some come up and down, you gotta either shoot or avoid those.

Basically, I am thinking you don't want to try to blow everything away, getting thru efficiently is just as important?

Ah, again, fun game, who knew.

Still got contrast problems on my TV, sorry about that-I dunno if this skill is tracked at TG, or if this would even chart, but if so I'll post the vid there probably.

INTHeman2skill238300.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gar0u said:

Okay, I tried Zaxxon on the Intellivision.  Shame on Sega!  The Intellivision version is closer to River Raid than Zaxxon.

Can't really blame Sega for anything other than allowing the sadistic hacks at Coleco to "port" the game to Intellivision.  I swear Coleco must have used Intellivision development either as a punishment, a prank, or forcible retirement for their programmers.  Maybe all 3.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, BiffMan said:

Can't really blame Sega for anything other than allowing the sadistic hacks at Coleco to "port" the game to Intellivision.  I swear Coleco must have used Intellivision development either as a punishment, a prank, or forcible retirement for their programmers.  Maybe all 3.

Coleco and Parker programmers had it in for us fine Intellivision folks! 

Especially Empire and Zaxxon. OUCH !!! 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, gar0u said:

Also played some He-Man.  Seems like Mattel put more effort into the title screen music of He-Man than Sega put into the entire port of Zaxxon.

He-Man game play is fun, but I need to read the instructions and learn how fuel works--otherwise my games are over pretty fast despite not "dying".  ;)

Fly to the RIGHT :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Nice Robbie! Ya right you never played this before ? 

Man, I SWEAR!

I go thru games with scores on them at Twin Galaxies, almost every system, almost every game(flashcarts), and I quickly deduce "what I can score on"-

I think I didn't even make it to the running stages when I tried a time or two before and put it on the "nope" list.

I really do have a lot of "training", playing games I "don't really know", from the 2600 HSC, but I promise, I haven't played this game 20 times yet, I am sure!

OK, and on that-

I'm not the best. Never will be. Don't have the "drive" that some others do.

I'm kinda a natural, tho, I only realized "high scores matter" about 5 years ago, before that I looked under a lot of rocks for a lot of keys to save princesses(lol).

:)

Typically, I can get decent at a game very quickly, or I just never will, there's definitely a "wall" there.

Slight improvement-

I'm forgetful, and do a LOT of games, haha, I really am best off even subbing as I play.

Tips, from a beginner, lol, that just kinda knows how to..."get what I can".

I'm not really TRYING to score so much. I am trying to get the Skeletors as often as possible, but mostly I'm only going after the rocks if they are in my way, trying for as much fuel bonus as possible.

There may be other ways to get to Skeletor in the chase scenes, but I've only ever went pretty much straight to the top, one level down from it(there's a slow fireball at the top that messes you up). You can sometimes get the "no shield" bonus, but regardless you usually only have to block once or twice, really close to Skeletor, and sneak in.

So kinda forget "scoring", and focus on "completion", the score will take care of itself.

So I don't think that's gonna get you in 500K range, the game seems really tough after a while(I would say after "x" loop, but that's almost math, and I've already been drinking this morning...)(Stupid green up and down rocks start coming out in FOURS!).

Now that I can control the airship a little better, I think I'll try to push for "shooting more stuff" on the first couple airship levels, and see if that improves my score.

Really good game, I'd like to get this in CIB, but they don't give this one away...

:P

INTHeMan344600.png

Edited by Rogerpoco
Added likely useless tips
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1