IGNORED

Effects of cap C70 smash down by cart..?

dragonHunter

I've been repairing my Colecovision with good success (new power switch, 5v only RAM, electrolytic re-cap), but suddenly started getting odd behavior. I saw the 5v coming out of my new power-switch was dropping ~ 0.6volts (the 12v side wasn't dropping much at all). I wound up removing the new power switch and going with thick paper clip jumpers for the 5v and 12v. Right after soldering them in, I noticed cap C70 was smashed down and its frontward leg was touching the solder point between it and the cart port. I'm wondering if that could have been the actual cause of the 5v voltage drop. Plus, the power switch never showed any resistance on either rail.... My Coleco ran properly after this, but with some occasional bad power ups.

I much rather have a good on/off switch than constant wart-pulling, so to speak. And, it's probably not the best thing to be doing to the old PSU, anyway.

Probably not needed, but I attached a pic of a motherboard like mine with the shorted points highlighted in red. Anybody know what effect this short would have? Was it the cause of the voltage drop?

Thanks

Coleco_revH2-1_C70Short.jpg

• Like 1

I've smashed one of those caps before.. It happens when you insert a cartridge and the cap happens to be too close to the edge connector. Kind of a poor design there, but luckily it's easily remedied by folding over the replacement cap. Can't remember if there were any odd effects from the crushed cap or not, but I never gave it much of a chance and just replaced the thing. Good luck! :)