IGNORED

Kangaroo makeover !

TIX

So far I have replaced all kangaroo sprites and throwing apples,

regarding soft sprites, all bonus fruits, baby Roo and bell are new, also some little background details in the 2nd screen !

Things left to do are the monkeys, I have already redraw them, but it's more challenging for me to put them in..

the tree leaves are also sprites, so maybe I can shape them a little better..

we'll see

Edited by TIX
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Are the side screen climbing  monkeys actually bg graphics?  They seem to alternate colors every frame using  2 of the background colors, thus the flickering effect. 

? ugh.. it looks like it's a mix of players and soft sprites,

I have already found all monkey frames clearly defined in hack-o-matic, so I was pretty sure there are all players.

So I edited the climbing monkey and only the ladder climbing monkey changed.. the tree climbing one remained the same.

Back to eye straining omnivore searching..

image.png.c171a9bea02a635208d0074e41da5727.png  image.png.2ec3c0c4e74cd144a61508b6e81c066c.png

Edited by TIX

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah success at last !

I located all monkeys,

it turns out that for some weird reason there is a second set of climbing monkey frames made by playfield graphics,

also in there I found the front facing/platform holding monkeys !

it wont take long now.. ?

image.png.a42012eb5bd49016b81f17cef49bd253.png

Edited by TIX
  • Like 10

OK here it is ->  Kangaroo - Makeover (Final).xex 

the final version of my Kangaroo hack !

I can't call it a redux because all changes are purely cosmetic, so a makeover will do..

never the less I managed to change most of the things I wanted, just by rearranging pixels.

Don't forget to turn on "frame blending" in Altirra, or else the flickering is unbearable.

This is a comparison with the original (couldn't find an arcade sprite set to compare, as I worked from gameplay videos..)

The "B" columns are mine  ↓

Kangaroo-final.thumb.gif.15410add2330aecd11af620c16838914.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

21 hours ago, patjomki said:

That is great! Thanks a lot for all of your improved versions.

I think its time for a Ghostbusters improvement now. ??

Especially players, even VCS players are better.

A8

1953012944_GhostbustersA8.png.ca2e2f6c63c956a3543613b237a4700f.png

C64

1527348335_GhostbustersC64.png.08224c4840dbdaa73cc7048cf94e2121.png

VCS

711695041_GhostbustersVCS.png.da6579cc50294e38ccaf1cba5f51cd0c.png

Unfortunately it's not a simple graphic hack, the code needs to be changed.

4 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

TIX, I played a round, it looks very nice.  For some reason however playing on Altirra, I can't change the options from Novice, or change the 1-player / 2-player.   Is anyone else experiencing that issue? 

Works here.

As original, you have to wait few seconds before Option and Select keys work.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

Works here.

As original, you have to wait few seconds before Option and Select keys work.

Playing on Altirra 3.90, there is something different about this XEX Kangaroo image.  I loaded a Donkey Kong XEX, and the Cart version of Kangaroo to see if my Altirra 3.90 settings were screwed up , but there was no problem with those.    So I'm just reporting this - the title screen has a cursor where the Player count is, and the Option/Selects (F3 and F4) don't function.  And for some reason it defaults to Novice - which I can't change.    I'd like to play the whole game on Advanced!   (See below extra comment) - 

Kangaroo TIX title screen.png

EDIT - I got it to work with my old Atari800win emulator.   It seems the AltirraOS operating system is interpretting something different with this image causing my title screen problems. 

21 hours ago, patjomki said:

That is great! Thanks a lot for all of your improved versions.

I think its time for a Ghostbusters improvement now. ??

Thank you !

not a fan of Ghostbusters I'm afraid,  but I have a couple of other hacks to finish before I return to my more "serious" projects..

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying it the build from last Saturday on Atari800MacX, and I'm really enjoying it. Very nice changes. However, for some reason all of the monkeys, whether climbing, moving horizontally, or throwing are going from only pink to only gray every second or two. Very odd. Any thoughts? 

On 11/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, TIX said:

Thank you !

not a fan of Ghostbusters I'm afraid,  but I have a couple of other hacks to finish before I return to my more "serious" projects..

Great. ? I am looking forward to it. I really enjoy your work, not only with kangaroo but also with Moon Patrol (redux).

Regarding Ghostbusters. Well, I guess I have to live with your decision ? but Ghostbusters would be such a good candidate. I loved the game back in the days when I was a kid and at the time for me Ghostbusters (the franchise) was just funny but I could only stand to play the game on (my friends) C64 due to the horrible pokey interpretation of the ingame music and the ugly player sprites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cjherr said:

I've been trying it the build from last Saturday on Atari800MacX, and I'm really enjoying it. Very nice changes. However, for some reason all of the monkeys, whether climbing, moving horizontally, or throwing are going from only pink to only gray every second or two. Very odd. Any thoughts? 

The original game uses heavy flickering to achieve the 2 color monkeys,

it's hardly noticeable on the real thing.. but on emulation is horrible, in Altirra you have to turn on "frame blending"

I guess there is a similar setting in your emulator ?!