IGNORED

VCS Companion App

Rick Dangerous

The issue is bad UI. If you read the bit above where you enter the pin you will see (in very tiny letters on my cell phone at least) "Enter your VCS User Account Email ID". SO: select that space, enter the email linked to your VCS user account ALONG WITH the six digit pin and then the Launch button will be usable. 

I have a question myself: How do I get text I type into the text field of the Companion App to be sent to the field I am entering? For example, how do I get a username entered into text on the App onto the user name field on screen? I can select the field, go to the text, enter the text, but the Menu/hamburger button doesn't do anything and I can't find the equivalent of an "Enter" key to move to the next field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Yep, that thin line for me.  Thanks, works great now. 

Interesting idea to have the phone serve as a remote since most won't want to navigate streaming services with a game controller. Seems to work quite well. 

It does generally work well, but if I can't figure out how to actually enter text into a log in field and have to use a mouse to submit and move to the next field it won't be nearly as useful. 

• 4 months later...

I would really love some help...for the life of me, after rebooting multiple times and verifying that the VCS and my mobile phone are both using the exact same WiFi network, I am not able to synch the Atari Companion to my network. All I get on the app is that it is searching for my VCS, even though the app clearly shows my Wifi Network ID right on top and on the VCS, I clearly have the same WiFi network selected under Devices.

I really don't understand the issue, as my XBox One X seamlessly hooked up 2 years ago with zero problems and I have the VCS exactly where I've had the XBox the whole 2 years, so I don't think it should be an issue of my router box being too far away, as it's only about 10 feet away, if not less.

Should I just instead just get a cable and just run it from the ethernet port in my modem to the Ethernet port on the back of the VCS? I really feel this unnecessary if I have such things as my XBox and my ROKU run with zero problems.

I emailed Atari's technical support this exact message I just wrote and they responded with the following that I already said I had tried:

"Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Make sure you are using the exact same email and pin you used in your VCS account and that “local network and location” are allowed for the Companion app, otherwise they will not connect."

I really want to sign up and try Google Stadia and Steam for the very first time and get as much use out of this as I can. 

Many thanks for any tips or guidance anyone can throw my way.

Edited by joe91074

3 hours ago, joe91074 said:

I would really love some help...for the life of me, after rebooting multiple times and verifying that the VCS and my mobile phone are both using the exact same WiFi network, I am not able to synch the Atari Companion to my network. All I get on the app is that it is searching for my VCS, even though the app clearly shows my Wifi Network ID right on top and on the VCS, I clearly have the same WiFi network selected under Devices.

I really don't understand the issue, as my XBox One X seamlessly hooked up 2 years ago with zero problems and I have the VCS exactly where I've had the XBox the whole 2 years, so I don't think it should be an issue of my router box being too far away, as it's only about 10 feet away, if not less.

Should I just instead just get a cable and just run it from the ethernet port in my modem to the Ethernet port on the back of the VCS? I really feel this unnecessary if I have such things as my XBox and my ROKU run with zero problems.

I'm a bit confused by your message, because you already have the VCS connected to WIFI OK, don't you?

The problem is getting your companion app to sync with the VCS, not a direct WIFI connectivity issue, yes?
The mention of the Xbox One connecting immediately is a red-herring I think, because your VCS did too...?

I guess this is the video you mentioned, which is a review by MockDuck.

I didn't have any trouble connecting it, but indeed it's not a Samsung.
Maybe a friend of family member can test it for you too, because it works also with iPhone; same procedure.
(Later today I might have chance to make a small video on the connectivity, and if I do, I'll send you a link.)

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

I'm a bit confused by your message, because you already have the VCS connected to WIFI OK, don't you?

The problem is getting your companion app to sync with the VCS, not a direct WIFI connectivity issue, yes?
The mention of the Xbox One connecting immediately is a red-herring I think, because your VCS did too...?

I guess this is the video you mentioned, which is a review by MockDuck.

I didn't have any trouble connecting it, but indeed it's not a Samsung.
Maybe a friend of family member can test it for you too, because it works also with iPhone; same procedure.
(Later today I might have chance to make a small video on the connectivity, and if I do, I'll send you a link.)

thanks for the response! Yes, I have the VCS on my WiFi network and it is exactly the same Wifi network that my mobile phone is on. The Companion app even shows the very same WiFi network on the very top of the app after I log in. So basically with everything exactly matching up, for the life of me I don't understand why the Companion will not synch with the VCS, and including a screenshot of what I get once I log into the app. And yes, that's the exact same video I was referencing. 

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the XBox...I did mainly because it was the first electronic device I used with WiFi other than my laptop, and then later a ROKU...and basically I wanted to show I had a strong WFi signal, as that's been talked about alot too, and I definitely have a strong signal and I never had any device that didn't properly connect as it should.

I would really appreciate a link if you do that small video.

Thanks again!

Screenshot_20210716-061334_VCS Companion.jpg

5 minutes ago, joe91074 said:

thanks for the response! Yes, I have the VCS on my WiFi network and it is exactly the same Wifi network that my mobile phone is on. The Companion app even shows the very same WiFi network on the very top of the app after I log in. So basically with everything exactly matching up, for the life of me I don't understand why the Companion will not synch with the VCS, and including a screenshot of what I get once I log into the app. And yes, that's the exact same video I was referencing. 

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the XBox...I did mainly because it was the first electronic device I used with WiFi other than my laptop, and then later a ROKU...and basically I wanted to show I had a strong WFi signal, as that's been talked about alot too, and I definitely have a strong signal and I never had any device that didn't properly connect as it should.

I would really appreciate a link if you do that small video.

Thanks again!

Screenshot_20210716-061334_VCS Companion.jpg

and two more images of my mobile phone connected and the VCS connected, all to the same network 

Screenshot_20210716-062317_Settings.jpg

20210716_062650.jpg

Troubleshooting suggestion: Try hard-wiring your VCS into your wifi router and see if your router recognizes the VCS. It seems like the issue is that your wifi network isn't registering the VCS correctly for some reason even though you are clearly connected to it wirelessly. 

22 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Troubleshooting suggestion: Try hard-wiring your VCS into your wifi router and see if your router recognizes the VCS. It seems like the issue is that your wifi network isn't registering the VCS correctly for some reason even though you are clearly connected to it wirelessly. 

thank you too for your response! By hard wiring, do you mean an ethernet cable from my wifi modem to the VCS?

also...just spitballing...I'm wondering if this may be a problem...maybe not...but when I hooked up the HDMI cable from the VCS to my HDMI port in my tv, it read it as a "PC: and not a "game" like when I hooked up my XBox to the same HDMI port. I wonder if that makes a difference, and, if so, how I can have my tv read the VCS as a "game" too...I'll have to check my tv manual to see if it's possible to change that

2 hours ago, joe91074 said:

thank you too for your response! By hard wiring, do you mean an ethernet cable from my wifi modem to the VCS?

also...just spitballing...I'm wondering if this may be a problem...maybe not...but when I hooked up the HDMI cable from the VCS to my HDMI port in my tv, it read it as a "PC: and not a "game" like when I hooked up my XBox to the same HDMI port. I wonder if that makes a difference, and, if so, how I can have my tv read the VCS as a "game" too...I'll have to check my tv manual to see if it's possible to change that

Yeah, try an ethernet cable just to check. If the app then recognizes it the issue is prob the vcs wifi hardware.

On 7/16/2021 at 2:26 PM, Mockduck said:

Yeah, try an ethernet cable just to check. If the app then recognizes it the issue is prob the vcs wifi hardware.

hooked up an ethernet connection from the VCS to an ethernet port on my modem and STILL the VCS Companion will not recognize the WiFi connection...absolutely frustrating?

20210717_184406.jpg

20210717_190552.jpg

Screenshot_20210717-184325_VCS Companion.jpg

Firstly, can you reconnect the VCS with wifi so disconnect the Ethernet cable ?

1) Can you test to download a free game on the Atari VCS Store ?

(You can erase one et download the same after. It's just for this test.)

2)  if 1) is ok, on your phone can you disable the 4g connection. So, you will sure your phone will use your wifi connection.

Test it with a download in the phone store.

3) if 2) is ok, Can you check you use the same profile in the VCS COMPANION and in the VCS : NY-TALL-GUY

4) If 3) is ok, you have to test it with another phone or may be create a new ATARI account on  the VCS and use it on the VCS COMPANION, test NYTALLGUY. 

Good Luck.

I'll give that a try...other than that I'll just have to set up a fold up table I have and use the two ports in the front and hook up a spare mouse and keyboard I have lying around...seems to be a whole lot of trouble to go through just to fully immerse myself with this damn thing.?‍♂️

Thanks to everyone for all of your help?

On 7/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, joe91074 said:

The label on your TV is not determined by the device, but is configured on the TV.

On my old TV, I could change the name, on the current ones I can only pick from a list. 

It has nothing do with the WIFI anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, justclaws said:

The label on your TV is not determined by the device, but is configured on the TV.

On my old TV, I could change the name, on the current ones I can only pick from a list. 

It has nothing do with the WIFI anyway.

I was just spit balling and grasping at straws...I was thinking because my tv thought the VCS was a PC and not a game console that it was maybe somehow triggering me for an ethernet cable connection...I was able to change the setting to a game console but it didn't make a difference...plus the ethernet cable didn't do squat, so that's a return to Walmart, since I haven't used one in years...what a huge pain in the ass...I found a spare keyboard and mouse but I just went back to hooking up  and playing my XBox until I'm ready to deal with the VCS again...I still have hopes for it and I don't want my frustration with it to kill those hopes...hoping for some separation anxiety lol

13 hours ago, joe91074 said:

I was just spit balling and grasping at straws...I was thinking because my tv thought the VCS was a PC and not a game console that it was maybe somehow triggering me for an ethernet cable connection...I was able to change the setting to a game console but it didn't make a difference...plus the ethernet cable didn't do squat, so that's a return to Walmart, since I haven't used one in years...what a huge pain in the ass...I found a spare keyboard and mouse but I just went back to hooking up  and playing my XBox until I'm ready to deal with the VCS again...I still have hopes for it and I don't want my frustration with it to kill those hopes...hoping for some separation anxiety lol

I just hooked a brand-new out of the box VCS up at a friend's house, for the virgin installation process.
I already had the VCS companion setup for my VCS, but I setup the new one also with my account, and
starting the VCS Companion app, it found the VCS in seconds, and clicking on it connected me immediately.

However, unlike at home, I was disconnected a few times from the VCS.
My friend said that she has the same problem with her laptop disconnecting from the router too, though,
so in this case it works, but there is a known problem with the router. Persuading her to let me tweak

her router though, is another challenge, even though she knows that IT is my bread and butter living. ?

I'm hoping there's an update for the app soon which allows connection by specifying the IP address, 
which might resolve your problem. and I hope also it makes the user-interface more obvious to use,
as it works well, normally, but it's not always intuitive, as per the earlier messages in this thread too.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Tech support is still looking into the issue and sending all the information to their Engineering Dept but I have zero faith. I instead just set up a small coffee table next to me with a spare keyboard and mouse and it works quite well with no lag or incompatiblity.

I was then so excited to try playing both Steam and Stadia for the first time...not knowing that to access that, I'd have to use PC Mode, which I wrote asking for help on in another thread. I really want to get the most out of my $400 purchase

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was using the app without issue yesterday to watch videos. Make sure you enter your email address in on the log in page as it can be hard to see where to put it sorta, and make sure the phone or whatever the app is on is connected to the same wireless network router as your VCS. The VCS can be wired, just going into the same box. 

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

I was using the app without issue yesterday to watch videos. Make sure you enter your email address in on the log in page as it can be hard to see where to put it sorta, and make sure the phone or whatever the app is on is connected to the same wireless network router as your VCS. The VCS can be wired, just going into the same box. 

I can confirm: I use the app now and it's ok.