IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Emulation when will it improve

staceyshinault7

Im kinda wandering if anyone is working on a new jaguar emulator as the last emulator release was in oct 2014 

and it doesnt play games well,I am a person who has very little physical games and relies on emulation to play everything.

Does anyone know if a great jaguar emulator is in the works?? one with hotkeys with savestates and recordind features??

I have played thru over 2000 games in my lifetime using emulators and game genie codes thru gamehacking.org and 

ive been spoiled with save states and hotkeys thanks to bizhawk emulators BUT I have yet to beat 1 single atari jaguar game

becuase the emulation for it is so trash.On a side note I joined this site on april 28th 2012 and just now posted my first topic LOL

Thats gotta be some kinda world record im thinking....Anyways if anyone knows about upcoming jag emulation please let me know

• Like 2

All the Jaguar emulators I know of are inactive or abandoned.

I'm not sure if it's because the Jag is complex and hard to emulate properly or just poorly-documented.  

Right now the Phoenix Project emulator seems the most promising, but it needs a few more updates to make it great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzip said:

All the Jaguar emulators I know of are inactive or abandoned.

I'm not sure if it's because the Jag is complex and hard to emulate properly or just poorly-documented.  

Right now the Phoenix Project emulator seems the most promising, but it needs a few more updates to make it great.

Thanks for the info,Ill check out phoenix then,I would love to beat the whole jaguar library on emulators and some save state capabilitys

• Like 1

Jaguar emulation will improve when more people get involved with building a new emulator or improving the existing ones. Virtual Jaguar has been pretty much a one man project for years, and little seems to be known about the Phoenix emulator except that you have to patch it in order to have an English interface. As it stands, asking when it'll improve is not going to yield any concrete answers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, staceyshinault7 said:

Thanks for the info,Ill check out phoenix then,I would love to beat the whole jaguar library on emulators and some save state capabilitys

Phoenix is probably the best so far.   As @Sauron mentioned, it's Russian, but there is a patch that will make most of the interface English.

https://www.ngemu.com/threads/phoenix-project-3do-emulator-translated-into-english.191753/

Quality of emulators is directly proportional to a systems popularity. Jaguar simply never was. Even today there's not much popularity to it. I know it and games are going for exorbitant prices now, but that's largely lots of people with disposable income that want shelf queens, not due to legitimate interest.

Likely there never will be good jaguar emulation, but then, even us fans will admit it's not a huge pool of amazing games. Sure, there's half a dozen must plays, and a dozen or so more worth plays, but most it's games are mediocre to crap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Video said:

Quality of emulators is directly proportional to a systems popularity.

That's only partially true: N64 is a case in point.

I've been test riding Project Phoenix recently and must admit I'm rather impressed. I've tried maybe 10 random games and they all seem to work perfectly. I don't have an actual Jag to compare, but have not observed any major graphical or audio glitches. Authors claim ~95% "compatibility". If anybody knows which games don't work on it, I'd be interested.

• Like 1

It's a terrible Catch-22 situation for the Jaguar, it could increase it's popularity with a better emulator but it isn't likely to come because the platform wasn't that popular. Can't fix that but let's talk about what could happen with a better emulator.

A larger number of people would actually play Jaguar games, I personally want to play them but getting a console only grew in difficulty the longer I tried and emulation had enough snags that motivation failed from that strain. So you can have interest that just get's snuffed out, so without an easy emulation route most people won't even pick up and try a Jaguar game Ie. AVGN hates it, so I hate it because I don't have a Jaguar to play with.

Certainly would open up programming interest to a greater number of people when the emulator is better, terrible start when it's moderate to poor for emulation. Not that I dislike the current crop of homebrew but it's kind of a lateral movement with the whole Motorola 68K porting going on, I get that this is the path of least resistance, a working solution. However it's like the AmigaCD32 where much of the unique properties of the platform sit idle with mostly direct cross platform porting.

Not the strongest platform for 3D but it certainly isn't friendly enough to attract that kind of programming, kind of like the Saturn in that way. Still I think it would be a good platform for a flat shaded polygon game renaissance.

However being more pragmatic just having the 2D programming environment grow and improve could help the Jaguar a lot. It has very rich color output where "let's be honest" the original 2D games had more going on in them color wise than ports from elsewhere. So there is at least the stronger potential to have 2D games on par with SS and PS1 titles.

Doesn't solve the entire hardware gap but the GameDrive eventually playing all the CD games does remove at least one obstacle, that being it's even harder to get a JagCD than the original console. Some nice Jag homebrew here on AA but some of it is CD based which is great for production cost but again limited by a lack of functioning/affordable Jag optical drives out in the world.

There's not much I can think of as a solution other than a crowd sourced emulation project where you essentially hire and dedicate somebody to work on a better Jaguar emulator. I'm not even familiar who's shoulder to tap for such a job.

5 hours ago, ls650 said:

Does Iron Soldier run past the starting menus?

http://www.arts-union.ru/node/66

There are 12 problematic games, Iron Soldier being the one which is totally broken. It's not perfect but also not as bad as  I thought (especially given that most of these glitchy games aren't exactly superhits).

I'm not sure haveing a 1:1 accurate emulator, or even a mature FPGA core,  would help greatly with Jag's popularity. As has been said above, its software library is just not so great.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, youxia said:

That's only partially true: N64 is a case in point.

Yeah the N64 is massively popular but notoriously hard to emulate accurately with decent performance. Not sure about the Jag however id say it's in a similar boat as it was known difficult to program on due to the hardware design. Saturn is another system, too complex for it's own good. Then there is the Play Station that has fairly accurate emulation due to it's simplicity.

Having said that it still comes down to how accurate an emulation dev really wants to go. The SNES for example has been emulated for many many years and played games well. Although when it comes to accuracy it's next level of complexity as Byuu has demonstrated with Higan and BSNES. It's usually a balancing act of how far to go so the general user can still actually run the emulator on their system. Then there is issues like Byuu has faced with cycle-accuracy as in order to get a full understanding of the chips you need decap them which costs way too much for the average hobbyist.

Interesting write-up from the man himself that goes into further detail.

Btw, Phoenix supports save states for atari jaguar games.

In fact, I couldn't get ordinary game saves to work with the games I tested, but its kind of a moot point since I can just do a save state.

No one mentioned it yet, so I'll say, that Phoenix was last updated in 2017, so that's a bit more recent than 2014. I haven't heard any info that anyone is still working on it though, and since its been about 4 years since the last release, it probably won't be further updated anytime soon.

I mentioned this in another thread in the jag forum, but Project Tempest, the emulator last updated around 2004, is the only one that will play any Jag CD games. I heard it will pretty much only play Primal Rage and World Tour Racing, though since the commercial jag cd library is so small, that's probably like 15%-20% of the library :)

Edited by sirlynxalot

I know my question isn't emulator related but how does one get hold of a Harmony cart or similar for the Jaguar? I have searched the forum and Google but can't really find a real answer..

Anyone have, build, supply them?

My Jag library consists of x3 games and would love to check out more but the cost of them..... ?

1 hour ago, Zap1982 said:

I know my question isn't emulator related but how does one get hold of a Harmony cart or similar for the Jaguar? I have searched the forum and Google but can't really find a real answer..

Anyone have, build, supply them?

My Jag library consists of x3 games and would love to check out more but the cost of them..... ?

I think you might be looking for something like this

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1215

2 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I think you might be looking for something like this

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1215

Hmmm.. not yet available and currently out my price bracket but very possibly a future purchase.

Got my Jag in 2002 when GAME had loads to sell through cheap, £50 for the console if I I recall. I got one and the x4 games that interested me.

Had I known then what I do now I would have bought a copy of everything at £9.99 a piece. Arrgh!

Edited by Zap1982
Typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I guess the real question is:  how do you incentivize a developer to enhance existing emulators or make a new one?

Maybe a bounty system?   The first person who can deliver or enhance an existing Jaguar emulator to run a specified list of games properly gets the prize?   Anyone interested in seeing a good jaguar emulator can pool their money to make a worthwhile prize.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, zzip said:

Maybe a bounty system?   The first person who can deliver or enhance an existing Jaguar emulator to run a specified list of games properly gets the prize?   Anyone interested in seeing a good jaguar emulator can pool their money to make a worthwhile prize.

Bounty ready and waiting ?

20210312_202539.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Deep diving into the subject of Jaguar CD emulation, I see that all major efforts were given up on throughout the years.

Jaguar is a system that everyone remembers, but few have memories WITH it. I’d like to change that.

It may take years, but just know that there is someone out here that still cares and wants to make Jaguar CD emulation a reality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

64? I may be missing something, but weren't there like 25 million or so sold? True its nothing compared to PlayStation, but its still an order of magnitude more than jaguar, which if I remember was between 2 and3 million, and many didn't sell (you can still legitimately buy it as new old stock)

IrataJaguar_1.0.7.apk

My favorite emulator so far is IrataJaguar which I've heard people say is related to the Phoenix emulator.

This is for Android.  I've had a lot of luck in the Mac world emulating Android and running this emulator.  :)

Yes yes, I wish they would support it more.  Yes, I wish they would open it up for others to work on if they aren't going to support it more.  But a dang good emulator.

• Like 1