IGNORED

Picked up this big 'ol CRT over the weekend

Mockduck

Couldn't pass it up after finding it stashed away for several decades in a back room of my church's office, made a $75 donation and took it home with their approval. They didn't really care about the money, but I knew this thing was nice and would be of value to some of us retro gamers. 

Sony Trinitron KV-27XBR35 from 1992. Looks gorgeous and the sound is surprisingly great as well with some weird room filling thing it does using two back speakers. Killer score imo. 

I'll now be giving away my 19" Samsung TXH1970, which is also fine but not nearly as nice. Keeping my 13" clear prison TV cuz it is nice and portable and because everyone who ever looks at it is like, "WTF is that TV" unless you've been in a prison for some reason or know about it. 

Sony Trinitron KV-27XBR35.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I also picked up a Sony CRT this weekend.  I wish it had been a 27".  It was a 32" and heavy as heck.

The lady actually gave me two other 21" TVs to take with it, but there was only one Sony . . .

Oh yeah, fastest way to remember why our flatscreen life is infinitely superior is to try to lug these suckers around. I can barely lift it, and it's gonna take a dolly and straps to get it up the stairs...

That sure is purty Mockduck, Trinitrons are solid CRTs. ? Monitor-Out, don't see that often.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/243202/Sony-Kv-27xbr25.html?page=7#manual

And to wongojack, I hear some of those models are easy to mod for RGB but S-video is still good imo. :)

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W000/W0006338M.pdf

5 hours ago, youxia said:

That was my reaction exactly. I've never heard of these. What is the idea behind them being "clear"? So you can't hide stuff inside?

Yeah, so nothing can be hidden in them. They also have locked hex nuts to prevent tampering at a size that is made specifically for prison use. You can get one, but you have to do it. They also don't have speakers, since the privilege was gated in part by distribution of headphones, and to prevent strife in the facility. 

The side effect of this is that the headphone jacks are often worn out, as mine is, which meant that the sound stopped working a while back and it is exceptionally difficult to fix. For my part it is a non-issue as I just send the audio into my speakers before it hits the TV (through a VCR), but for things like convention and portable use I have to figure something out. 

Teachmoan did a great video on this a while back: 

• Like 3