IGNORED

SHIFT838 384k Module for Geneve 9640

Shift838

All,

I have been working on designing a new 384k daughter board to be mounted into the current SRAM socket without having to piggyback chips for the original 3x128k mod to get the 384k or install additional sockets for the a 32 pin dip 512k x 8 chip.

I received a few test boards to verify the design of the PCB.  Between referencing documentation that @InsaneMultitasker and @fabrice montupet website for details.  I came up with this PCB.  I did find a trace I missed, but it was an easy fix.  This is not going to be the final PCB as the SMD 1N4148 diodes are a hell of a lot smaller than I thought.  

I have been able to rework the board to allow for through-hole diodes.  However, in order to keep this board small enough to just plug into the existing socket I had to go with a SMD version of the 512k x 8.

The same wire management can be used.

This board will require a handful of wires to be soldered to the header pins and ran to the respective connections of the Gate Array and U29 LS244.

Attached are some photos along with what I believe will be the final board rendering.  I will be order a few test boards for this revision next day or so.  I want to go over it a few more times.

If there is interest I will make a run.  I will be posting a poll, so please if you are interested please answer the poll.

I can provide a DIY Kit and Assembled/Tested in the poll (Estimated prices will be in the Poll)

Intial Board design:

TOP.jpg

Bottom

BOTTOM.jpg

Installed in Geneve and all wired up!

384k installed.jpg

Powered on...  Decided to go ahead and replace my LED since it was old and dull.  Not now!

running.jpg

chkdsk command shows the correct memory

chkdsk.jpg

memtest shows good too..

memtest.jpg

New hopefully final design:

Top:

v1.0 TOP.png

Bottom:

V1.0 BOTTOM.png

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, mizapf said:

How do you select the other SRAM pages? I only found the RAMEN and RAMEN-X outputs on the Gate array in the schematics; for that reason I limited the SRAM expansion in the emulation to 32K.

Address lines are picked up from the board and decoded.  See Fabrice's website for the cleanest instructions and wiring information.

Some time ago I believe that you proved, based on timing, that pages C0-E7 (those outside of the usual 64K SRMA) were not truly fast ram as previously thought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Some time ago I believe that you proved, based on timing, that pages C0-E7 (those outside of the usual 64K SRMA) were not truly fast ram as previously thought. 

As you mention that ... yes, I think I remember that accesses to pages C0-E7 cause a wait state to be inserted. That means, regardless of how the decoding of further pages is done, you cannot make the Gate Array believe in that extra 0-ws RAM.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mizapf said:

As you mention that ... yes, I think I remember that accesses to pages C0-E7 cause a wait state to be inserted. That means, regardless of how the decoding of further pages is done, you cannot make the Gate Array believe in that extra 0-ws RAM.

Would you have time and desire to create a test program to validate the wait state/speed on real hardware?  I would like to change the OS memory identification routine to flag pages C0-E7 as SLOW ram if in fact the wait state is inserted.  The OS presently treats the pages as FAST ram.

• Like 1

Here you are ... including source code. I tried it on my real Geneve.

(Actually, I'm not that fast, but I wrote this program already a year ago.)

speed.dsk

Edit: The program runs some read iterations on different pages; the results are 10ths of seconds. You will see that for a 1 waitstate page you get about 110, while a 0 waitstate page delivers about 100. I adjusted the iteration count so that one wait state delivers 1 second of added runtime.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 5

Yes, as expected: Only the pages E8-EF have 0 waitstate. If you like you can change the program to test the SRAM pages only.

Edit: The pages to be tested are defined in

PGLIST BYTE >00,>20,>40,>60,>80,>A0,>BA,>C0,>E0,>E8,>EC,>F0,>FF

FF is the stop code. The length is not limited.

You could test all the pages from C0-EF, but I think testing C0, E0, E8, and EC as above should suffice.

Edited by mizapf

The ROM wait state is really silly. The wait states are triggered by the Gate array but created by the PAL; its output (18) is what goes into the READY input of the 9995. One could consider reprogramming the PAL to avoid wait states for accesses to the whole SRAM and EPROM region (C0-FF).

Too bad that all its inputs are used, although input 5  (CRU bit 23) has an obscure meaning, so maybe this could be replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

The ROM wait state is really silly. The wait states are triggered by the Gate array but created by the PAL; its output (18) is what goes into the READY input of the 9995. One could consider reprogramming the PAL to avoid wait states for accesses to the whole SRAM and EPROM region (C0-FF).

Too bad that all its inputs are used, although input 5  (CRU bit 23) has an obscure meaning, so maybe this could be replaced.

I'll take 3 PAL's....?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shift838 said:

The module give you access to additional 384k of fast ram that

can be used for multitasking.  This is a cheaper solution than having to hope to find a myarc  512k card then modifying it for the Geneve.  

would it help in making a ramdisk?

On 3/2/2021 at 12:39 PM, mizapf said:

Yes, as expected: Only the pages E8-EF have 0 waitstate. If you like you can change the program to test the SRAM pages only.

The Geneve OS source code refers to a 1MB option that as best I can tell was going to be on the Geneve itself.   Additionally, the entire range of pages from >00 to >7F is encoded to be classified as FAST RAM or 0-wait state, with routines written to test for the existence of page >40 as the determining factor.   Is there something we've missed with the current hardware?  Maybe another board was planned that could use SRAM in place of DRAM? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wait state behavior is buried inside the Gate Array and the PAL. On the board, there is not even a place for a memory expansion; you cannot solder DRAMs on top of each other. So the "future expansion" was meant to be in the infinite future, or possibly in another time line.

Or, in other words: These things may have been planned originally, but the eventual design of the board and the custom chips made them moot. But obviously, no one cared to rewrite these items in the specifications.

• Like 1