IGNORED

Top Ten Lists of 8-Bit Action/Arcade Games?

rocketfan

2 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Is there a simple guide for how to add these to our flashback?  I’m fortunate enough to own own and I flashed some firmware updates to it early last year.  I have my 2600 ROMs connected via an OTG cable.  

yes. flash the cfw, the newley released overclock, and the pack. its simple.

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart - Page 26 - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

Edited by Draxxon

15 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Atari Flashback X - NEXUS V.0.3.0 (NEXUS Hub Update)

NOTE: This update wont actually overclock your system, it has just been slightly skinned to reflect the change and a few rewinds were re-enabled in the settings.

Make sure you apply RocketFan's New CFW 1st. It's a GIANT improvement in performance. Thanks to rrifonas, as always, for the OG LFB Overclock CFW.

NEXUSv3.rar 292.55 MB · 7 downloads

FYI, Basically all your suggestions (plus some more) were incorporated into Draxxon's latest update posted on the other thread (as shown in Draxxon's video above).  There are now about 130 Atari 800 titles, as well as 20 more in another section of 5200 titles that were ported to the 800.  I'm once again playing games brought to me by Glenn the 5200 Man!  (Just played Blue-Print)

Probably the only omissions were some that were multi-disk games and one or two that needed keyboard input.  I appreciate all the ideas.  Some were games I can't believe I forgot, and there were several hidden gems in there I had never played before!

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 7:28 PM, kiwilove said:

I think you missed out ---- Runner Bear.

That's a fun game!  Which also led me to discover Biscuits in Hell! and Blowsub.  Also really good games, though I think Blowsub is maybe a bit too easy, but it looks terrific.

Edited by rocketfan

4 hours ago, rocketfan said:

That's a fun game!  Which also led me to discover Biscuits in Hell! and Blowsub.  Also really good games, though I think Blowsub is maybe a bit too easy, but it looks terrific.

If you thought Blowsub was too easy - how about Scramble?  I'm still waiting for someone to do a long play video of this conversion to show off what happens later on?  Or a Let's compare video of this 8-bit Atari conversion included with other late Scramble conversions - C64, 7800 and so on...?

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

21 hours ago, kiwilove said:

how about Scramble?

Scramble is there, but a bit tough on the device, because of the space bar being used for bombs.  The joystick on the flashback has menu, select, and start buttons.  Select brings up the virtual keyboard in the emulator.  There is a hack you can turn on via the keyboard that will let you enable the start button to generate "Space" for games that use it as an additional control, but it works better for games like Dropzone or Defender where it is only used occasionally for a smartbomb.  It's in an awkward position to be hitting it constantly.  I will probably be playing Super Cobra (drops bombs along with your shots IIRC) or Tail of Beta Lyrae (no bombs, but hard) a bit more.

atGames didn't design the device with the Atari800 in mind, but so many of the 8-bit games were made for the classic VCS style joysticks that it seemed like a natural to add that emulator.  If I could ask for one improvement in some future dream device it would be 3 or so buttons on the back side of the joystick kind of like triggers that could be mapped to key presses.

14 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

Scramble has an options menu, where you can set the trigger to both fire and bomb, just like Super Cobra.

Aha!  Thanks - yes I see space key brings up the menu, then 6 to configure fire both with the button.  That really makes the game playable on the device.  So I will be playing that.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2021 at 2:41 PM, Mark2008 said:

Thanks for posting here, I would never have seen this....that is just so fun, that  Atari computer emulation is on flashback x.

Oh goodness, looks like I need to buy one more device.

I wanted to post an update for the 8-bit fans who contributed here, especially those without their original hardware (like me).  And for anyone who happens to already own one, this setup and 8-bit emulation is now also available on the atGames Legends Flashback (Sega Genesis Controllers though) AS DOCUMENTED IN THIS THREAD

image.png.e5c5289cdd9e4ae63c3111dee00a6561.png

I find these Flashback devices to be one of the best ways to play 8-Bit.  You can sit back on the couch and thumb through the box art to pick a game then play it - on a console - on a big screen - like never before (OK yes, you can also do that on Raspberry Pi - but it is a PITA to set up compared to this ? )

The emulation core also now has a way to map key presses to the extra buttons on the Legends Flashback.  With their required keyboard keys mapped to controller buttons, the game-play for games like Dropzone or Spelunker (which got multiple mentions above) on the Legends Ultimate is probably as good as it ever has been.  Well, except it's not an actual Atari joystick! 

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...