IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 5 ~ No Escape AND Star Voyager

Vocelli

No Escape: 11136

@Vocelli commented earlier that you rack up bonus points at an insane rate at around 23k.  I observed an accelerated bonus rate starting on the 11th board (when the sprites reset to what they were on the 1st board, but with a different color palette).  When I completed this board at about 5:45 in the video each leftover brick earned 15 points rather than the 5 points earned on previous boards.  The 12th board also earned 15 points per brick.  On the 13th board (completed at 7:18) most of the bricks earned 15 points, but the last few earned 105 points.  The same thing happened on the 14th board.  The game ended on the 15th board.

I found the biggest challenge to be avoiding enemy fire.  On the first several boards, you can stay put and don't need to move around much.  As the game progresses, you need to be constantly moving since you're a sitting duck if you stay in the same spot for more than a few milliseconds.  Their shots move fast enough that there often isn't enough time to react, so timing when to switch directions in anticipation of when/where they will fire is key.  I observed that they always fire when the background sound plays the higher pitched note and used the background sound to time my movement.

image.thumb.png.1b577dab5676da0f18ce4cd937db0e92.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Star Voyager has made it to my short list for most surprising this season. I'm usually not a fan of first person space shooters. I find them disorienting. But I just got the hang of this, and I'm liking it a lot! If you're like me, your biggest issues are the enemy ship's fire, which eat up your energy level any way you slice it, and finding the star portal at the end of each level. Here's my strategy that's been working for me:

At the start of a level, move to the right, with the desired outcome of avoiding fire. The enemy ship will usually appear to your left. Pausing for a moment at times will allow the ship to get to you a bit, then blast it. When you get in a good rhythm, it'll feel comfortable and reliable. I like to count out my shots, it keeps me focused (each level adds one enemy ship). When you got em all, the star portal will be on your left, and is much easier to line up with now that you've been heading right and level the entire time.

I'm really hoping to make it to Admiral :D

Star Voyager - Captain!

starvoyager-capt.thumb.JPG.9edad6ce4f8344cc6be16f1ab6c8caaa.JPG

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Star Voyager has made it to my short list for most surprising this season. I'm usually not a fan of first person space shooters. I find them disorienting. But I just got the hang of this, and I'm liking it a lot!

Welcome to the Captain's club!  These space shooters are fun once you get the hang of them.   I had only given this a quick try in the past as I thought the game play/game screens of Starmaster and Star Raiders were better.  I did enjoy this one more than I thought I would but still find the game play of Starmaster the best and a close second Star Raiders.   There is something fun using the touchpad controller in Star Raiders though makes it feel you are in command of a star ship!  You should give those other 2  a try now  that you got the hang of this one as mechanics are similar but game play is better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

At the start of a level, move to the right, with the desired outcome of avoiding fire. The enemy ship will usually appear to your left. Pausing for a moment at times will allow the ship to get to you a bit, then blast it. When you get in a good rhythm, it'll feel comfortable and reliable. I like to count out my shots, it keeps me focused (each level adds one enemy ship). When you got em all, the star portal will be on your left, and is much easier to line up with now that you've been heading right and level the entire time.

I'm really hoping to make it to Admiral :D

Congrats on making Captain.

To make Admiral, the one additional tip I'd suggest is to purposely steer away from the star portal the first couple of levels so you score 4-6 points each level (rather than 2 points for the first level and 3 points for the second level).  I think if you get all the way through the game scoring the minimum each level (assuming the game ends after hitting 8 ships and entering the star portal on the level with the pink border), you'll make admiral.  Scoring more points early gives you some wiggle room if you don't do as well later in the game, plus, if you screw up an early level, not as much time is lost by hitting the reset switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kermit73 said:

purposely steer away from the star portal the first couple of levels so you score 4-6 points each level

Interesting.   Did not know you could avoid the portal and continue the level.  I always went to the portal as soon as it came up.  Much harder in the later levels when you have less energy to spare.   Will try this out if time permits. 

• Like 2