IGNORED

FujiNet Through Hole DIY Hardware

There is a new DIY through hole FujiNet hardware design that uses the espressif devkitc-ve board. It's basically a shield for the devkit board with all the needed bits for FujiNet. I'm happy to finally see someone else release hardware based on the completely open FujiNet design.

https://github.com/djtersteegc/fujinet-devkit-shield

• Like 7

I don't know how to use GitHub, so can someone suggest to the creator to add footprint for SIO connector? Preferably a DB15/SIO combo, same like one used in 1088XEL pcb for example. 

Since @Sikor is selling new, high quality, injection molded SIO connectors, some people could chose to build this device with SIO socket and use original Atari SIO cable. This would eliminate the need for DB15 adaptor cable.

• Like 1

I grabbed the Eagle footprint from 1088XEL project and converted it to Kicad so if your jacks work on the 1088XEL (including the mechanical mounting holes) @Sikor, I'm good to go.  This addition would also push the current board over 100mm in length (~105mm) so the $2/5 JLC type deals would be a few dollars more for small orders.  But hey, you're spending the big money on an SIO jack now so you can afford that extra PCB cost. ?

My current BOM (minus the PCB and ESP32) is right around a $1 when using all Aliexpress sourced parts bought in qty 10+ when built with a pin header connected cable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hideehoo said:

I'm the original creator.  @Sikor, do you have a mechanical drawing for your new SIO jacks?

No, I haven't. But, if you want - I'll have few Super SIO Splitter boards for new-device creators and I can send you one for test (probaby I got it for next 3-4 weeks, and yes, I have few prototype in home, but there are reserved). Send me PM.

One more - my SIO socket are mechanical identical with Atari in PCB parts,

Edited by Sikor
more info

10 hours ago, hideehoo said:

This addition would also push the current board over 100mm in length (~105mm) so the $2/5 JLC type deals would be a few dollars more for small orders.

@hideehoo, maybe you can save some space in the lower part of your PCB? Is there anything under ESP32? You could move resistors over there. Or maybe you could move the switches in the same row with leds, put them between leds. 

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

There is no official devkitc style board with 16MB.

https://www.espressif.com/en/products/devkits/esp32-devkitc/overview

Yeah that's what I was seeing, but just wanted to verify. So if the 8GB board is used, what is the compromise, and does it affect what firmware gets programmed -or- the use of the FujiNet Flasher app?

1 minute ago, mytek said:

Yeah that's what I was seeing, but just wanted to verify. So if the 8GB board is used, what is the compromise, and does it affect what firmware gets programmed -or- the use of the FujiNet Flasher app?

FujiNet flasher only supports the 16GB WROVER module. You can use PlatformIO/VSCode to build and flash the 8MB board by using the 'fujinet-v1-8mb' board config option that was recently added. The wiki on github has instructions for setting up pio/vscode to build fujinet firmware.

Currently, we aren't using the entire 16MB and that's why the 8MB variant still works. In the future as we add features the 8MB may become 'obsolete'. There is effectively no price difference b/w the 8MB and 16MB module so we went all the way ;)

• Thanks 1

There are some 16MB devkit boards available like the LOLIN D32 Pro, but I wasn't overly impressed with the build quality and the wiring of the on-board MicroSD slot conflicts a bit with the current FujiNet GPIO selections (but that could be fixed in code with some #ifdef's).  Big reason I didn't go that route was availability was sketchier and pricing worse (once you factor in the increased shipping costs from China) than the official devkit boards from Epressif which are widely available from multiple component suppliers.  The #1 goal of this project from my perspective was to give users an easy and cheap way to build their own FujiNet device and expand the community of folks with access to the software stack.

Below is the partition map differences between the 8MB and 16MB options.  Much of the current 16MB model appears to be used for a secondary OTA update partition (app1).  Only real difference is in app0 where you load the currently ~2MB compiled Fujinet code. spiffs is where things like the AUTORUN.TR file are stored, currently ~800KB used.  Technically you can still run FujiNet even on a 4MB WROVER board, but as mozzwald states above, this could all change in the future.

8MB

--

#nvs        36,864 to    57,344   : size 20,480
#otdata     57,344 to    65,536   : size 8,192
#app0       65,536 to 6,291,456   : size 6,225,920
#spiffs  6,291,456 to 8,388,608   : size 2,097,152

16MB

--

#nvs        36,864 to     57,344   : size 20,480
#otdata     57,344 to     65,536   : size 8,192
#app0       65,536 to  6,356,992   : size 6,291,456
#app1    6,356,992 to 12,582,912   : size 6,291,456
#spiffs 12,582,912 to 14,680,064   : size 2,097,152

• Like 2

I also got surprised by that 8MB devkit. The good thing about the 8MB board is that it is widely available. However, I would have prefer the use of 16MB one like the "LOLIN D32 Pro" ~$19 in amazon and also available in Europe, which include sd card reader (probably using different pins than the Fujinet 1.x), but anyway...  Maybe an opportunity to contribute with an additional version.

Just my $0.02

Edited by manterola

1 hour ago, manterola said:

I also got surprised by that 8MB devkit. The good thing about the 8MB board is that it is widely available. However, I would have prefer the use of 16MB one like the "LOLIN D32 Pro" ~$19 in amazon and also available in Europe, which include sd card reader (probably using different pins than the Fujinet 1.x), but anyway...  Maybe an opportunity to contribute with an additional version.

Just my $0.02

There's also the Lilygo TTGO T8 which looks like it might come in the correct 8MB PSRAM/16MB Flash combo these days (and is competitively prices), but conflicting info on all the AliExpress listing and even Lilygo's official site had me shying away from that option also.

e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001049652653.html

It also have the same SD card wiring issue as the LOLIN board, which would require additional changes in the FujiNet code to work.

Oh!  I got that one but version 1.8... To make it work I needed to redefine pins , not only the Sd card pins, but also others that conflict with the Fujinet assignment. But it works (after redefinition of the spiffs partitions).

The v1.8  does NOT include 16MB 

e9993.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the remote box for my Fujinet through-hole 1030 modem that will mount on top of my monitor so:

A) I do not have to make any holes in the Atari 1030, the remote wiring will exit out the square hole in the back where the phone jack was.

B) I will have easy access to buttons, Micro SD card and activity LED's. The (2) LED's on the Atari 1030 will work as Power, and WIFI. And the Switch on the 1030 will turn Fujinet on and Off(will be using external USB power)

More to come as I slowly make progress on my version of the Atari 1030FN

IMG_20210502_173903235_HDR.jpg

Edited by Fierodoug5
  • Like 2