IGNORED

Missile Command: Recharged (R: 2020) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

The game was announced as a launch title by Atari. 
https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2020-07-01/atari-r-announces-missile-command-recharged-as-optimized-launch-title-for-atari-vcs-tm-home-gaming-and-entertainmen

There is also a new (2020) version of Missile Command: Recharged released in 2020.

The generic web-site for the game is here.
https://www.atari.com/games/missile-command-recharged/

The new VCS version of Missile Command Recharged is also on YouTube.

* I have no connection with the Atari company. I have always loved to play Missile Command!

The PC versions have mouse support.  I've had the mobile version for a while now.  This missile command doesn't have attack waves; the rate of attack just increases and increases, no time to rest.  Another thing is that each missile base is limited to one missile in the air; a maximum of only three missiles in the air, less if you've lost missile bases.  Makes you feel helpless as more and more missiles come down.

I played it to death a few months back when the PC version was released. It's just a really nice twitch arcade game with a suitably minimalist visual style. It's much more basic than, say, Tempest 4000 but for a pocket money price that's no big deal.

I've not played it with a trackball but mouse control is fine.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

The PC versions have mouse support.  I've had the mobile version for a while now.  This missile command doesn't have attack waves; the rate of attack just increases and increases, no time to rest.  Another thing is that each missile base is limited to one missile in the air; a maximum of only three missiles in the air, less if you've lost missile bases.  Makes you feel helpless as more and more missiles come down.

After a few levels of regular missile command on 2600 i already feel helpless AF lol

i like the graphical style of the new one at least

• Like 1

Hey folks, I thought I'd share this video I shot using a USB "Kensington" Trackball with Missile Command Recharged. My trackball is like 20 years old white/silver however, the new ones are Black with a Red Ball which looks super Atari style. 

YouTube Video of Trackball in Action 

Edited by Blade
to show content preview shot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Never even knew it had been released for the PC. I bought the mobile version when it launched, and had a lot of fun with it. My only complaint is the fact that there aren't attack waves.

the only way to properly play it is with a controller.

also, there's no depth to the game, once you get the maximum upgrades that's pretty much it.

later

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From an email from Atari VCS:

Download Missile Command: Recharged
FREE before Monday, March 8

Missile Command: Recharged™ will only remain free for Founders until Monday, March 8 and then it will return to its regular price of $3.99.

Launched in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the original, Missile Command: Recharged has fast-paced, arcade action and powerups that add depth to the gameplay.

Be sure to log into your Atari VCS and download the game by this weekend!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

After playing several rounds of Centipede, I thought I'd take MC for another spin. They updated to version VCS1.03 and the Classic Joystick now works wirelessly. I was never able to use it prior - just a modern controller. I didn't discern other improvements.

Edit: It is also now a Featured Game next to Centipede in the store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

After playing several rounds of Centipede, I thought I'd take MC for another spin.
They updated to version VCS1.03 and the Classic Joystick now works wirelessly. I was never able to use it prior - just a modern controller. I didn't discern other improvements.

Ah, great news! ?
I was petitioning an Atari contact repeatedly about this, but I didn't hear that news about it from them.

The game also plays really well with a USB mouse or trackball, which may be even the best controls. ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, justclaws said:

Ah, great news! ?
I was petitioning an Atari contact repeatedly about this, but I didn't hear that news about it from them.

The game also plays really well with a USB mouse or trackball, which may be even the best controls. ?

Agreed, with a trackball, it feels more original.

however, the gameplay maxes out at a certain point, and its not possible to play further after that.

i don't like the idea of upgrading the power ups either.

later

15 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Agreed, with a trackball, it feels more original.

however, the gameplay maxes out at a certain point, and its not possible to play further after that.

i don't like the idea of upgrading the power ups either.

The power-ups certainly dramatically change the game as you get them.
At first, I was just bemoaning the lack of multiple lives (and I still would prefer 3 lives to start)
and I found the game impossible after a few levels (yeah, sad) but with power-ups suddenly I
started to "get" the game design, but I'd love them to revisit it and upgrade it to the sort of
gameplay present in Centipede: Recharged with challenges, multi-player, and yes, lives.
Also, I really miss the sound of the end-of-level cities count; that was an exciting element.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, justclaws said:

The power-ups certainly dramatically change the game as you get them.
At first, I was just bemoaning the lack of multiple lives (and I still would prefer 3 lives to start)
and I found the game impossible after a few levels (yeah, sad) but with power-ups suddenly I
started to "get" the game design, but I'd love them to revisit it and upgrade it to the sort of
gameplay present in Centipede: Recharged with challenges, multi-player, and yes, lives.
Also, I really miss the sound of the end-of-level cities count; that was an exciting element.

I am mixed on the lives, although I agree the crunch crunch crunch of the original game is missing. :) I appreciate their willingness to redesign the game around a one-life progression, but it would be nice to come back from a mistake.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
11 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

This doesnt make any sense at all. So its a re-release?

No, it's not a re-release. The original Missile Command Recharged was a mobile free-to-play game that was then ported to VCS, Switch and Steam. It does not have the depth of the later Recharged titles.

This is a complete rebuild and gives Missile Command the full "Recharged" treatment: Arcade Mode, Missions Mode, Co-Op, Leaderboards, Achievements, etc.   It's a new, full game for consoles only.

• Like 2