IGNORED

Recently bought a Synology 1621+ and was reminded of...

leech

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Man - that's a rather sexy bit of kit right there!

It is pretty sweet.  I was trying to not build the whole thing in one go, but then regretted it and went ahead and purchased the rest of the drives.  In the end, 32gb of RAM, 2x 1tb nvme drives for cache, and 8x6tb of drives.

• Like 1

I've been using Synology servers for years now and they have worked pretty well for me.

synology.jpg

The lower-right unit is the newest, a DS1819+.  The box to the left of that is a five-drive expansion unit.  A DS1512+ unit is sitting above, and the DS1819+ is backed up to the DS1512+ nightly. Several important shares are also backed up to external drives, which are rotated periodically to a bank vault. The headless Mac mini sitting on the upper shelf acts as a spam filter and performs some other tasks, and the external drive on the second shelf serves as a network Time Machine disk that all my Macs are backed up to.  That drive is also rotated to the bank vault.

..Al

• Like 5

Just now, Stephen said:

I assume the both of you are using these in some RAID configuration?

The default configuration for these units is Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), which can be setup with one or two disk redundancy.  I use one disk redundancy since I have the entire thing backed up to another unit daily, and if a drive did fail I'd swap it out immediately. 

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID_SHR

..Al

• Thanks 1

Nice!  That's quite a nice cluster of Synologys there also, Albert.  I ran a Synology DS209 (+?) for many years but switched to a QNAP last time I ran out of space.

No regrets.  The QNAP does real-time transcoding and doesn't continuously make noise due to a persistent, aggressive thumbnail daemon, unlike SOME NASes I could mention.  :)  They are a little bit nicer about apps and licensing too I think.  No real regrets about the Synology though, it served me well for quite some time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Memory said:

Nice!  That's quite a nice cluster of Synologys there also, Albert.  I ran a Synology DS209 (+?) for many years but switched to a QNAP last time I ran out of space.

No regrets.  The QNAP does real-time transcoding and doesn't continuously make noise due to a persistent, aggressive thumbnail daemon, unlike SOME NASes I could mention.  :)  They are a little bit nicer about apps and licensing too I think.  No real regrets about the Synology though, it served me well for quite some time.

I never hear the Synology units, and they are fairly close to my primary computer in my office.  But I'm also not running much on them except for file services.  Since they've served me well, I haven't recently explored other NAS units from other companies (such as QNAP, Netgear, Drobo, etc.), but who knows down the road.  Competition is good.

..Al

It was mainly the noise of the drives seeking, but it was being caused by the thumbnail making daemon.  Which I disabled, first through the GUI, then by killing off the startup script, and eventually by deleting the program (last two via shell).  It always came back and would run, continuously, even if I could see it was explicitly disabled.  Very frustrating.  I tried every fix I saw suggested...

It wasn't just me - there are many threads about this.  Also, it was definitely that - I could see it running in top whenever I got annoyed enough to check.  Disappointing.  The only thing I never tried was removing all images and such from the unit, to see if it would cut it out if there was nothing to thumbnail-ify.  I suppose I could try that if I get really bored someday - unit is still around.  It either never finished or immediately started a new pass when it was done, dunno which.

I suspect it might not have been such an issue if I had a Synology with more RAM.  Adding more disk space certainly didn't help!  Yours are much higher end.  That could well be the difference.

• Like 1