IGNORED

Just bought a 600XL.

Mazzspeed

23 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I think I might get one of these. I've got a well equipped workshop, and being an ex mechanic I'm quite used to getting surfaces flat (intake/exhaust manifolds as well as thermostat housings).

I'm gonna give it a go. My 600XL looks almost perfect with the exception of the wave in that badge, and it's annoying me.

Here's a shot of the monitor switched to proper 4:3 mode (obviously you've already seen this FJC). It took time as I don't actually have the remote for the TV, so I had to load up 'My Harmony', remember my login credentials that I haven't used in something like 12 years and add the device to my Harmony Touch so I could select 4:3 mode. I totally recommend this TV for retro computing, the model is a Sharp 19A35X and has outstanding IQ via svideo - It even has an interlaced mode.

pUHsk7c.jpg

A1P4ImO.jpg

Edited by Mazzspeed

4 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

remember my login credentials that I haven't used in something like 12 years

My brother and I discovered the following feature by accident, I had the app on a laptop and he had a remote but didn't remember his ID/password.

IIRC connecting his already programmed remote imported the configuration from it, we were then able to update the configuration and save it back to the remote.

EDIT:

Logitech used a custom cable, the app didn't recognize a Harmony remote connected to a standard micro-USB cable, only when connected to the supplied cable.

Edited by BillC

And just like that we have FujiNet-PC and my little 600XL is online!

Yes, I will trim the heatshrink around the USB lead...

iyy7sNU.jpg

We have connection:

T6vSd1L.jpg

Quality SIO plug supplied by Lotharek:

iuYjJ7J.jpg

Southern Amis at 19.2k!

g6we1pt.jpg

FujiNet configuration screen:

tenfQXU.jpg

JAVI3sV.jpg

Dummy addresses as I'm connected via my Raspberry Pi400:

HgKXlfi.jpg

And the TNFS server running with the FujiNet web GUI in the background:

SpwXmdK.jpg

Now I feel like I have a complete system, very happy with my little 600XL.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 1:25 AM, Mazzspeed said:

JwLPLCY.jpg

n boot into SDX:

f4pE01W.jpg

Those sure are beautiful images. Not quite, but just about on par with my Sophia! Nice display. I'm using an older 1080p Samsung 22"-24" TV and it looks beautiful for my 8-bit and ST computers. The only drawback is no additional audio input for the HDMI sources, so I can't get sound with my HDMI video quite yet. I need to find something that will inject analog audio into the HDMI stream. That, or try to come up with some other cheap HDTV that does have extra audio inputs for the HDMI sources.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Those sure are beautiful images. Not quite, but just about on par with my Sophia! Nice display. I'm using an older 1080p Samsung 22"-24" TV and it looks beautiful for my 8-bit and ST computers. The only drawback is no additional audio input for the HDMI sources, so I can't get sound with my HDMI video quite yet. I need to find something that will inject analog audio into the HDMI stream. That, or try to come up with some other cheap HDTV that does have extra audio inputs for the HDMI sources.

I plan on getting Sophia 2 eventually, but the IQ from this 600XL is good enough that I'm more than happy to wait until stocks of Sophia 2 build up a little higher.

Bear in mind that image is in 16:9 mode, I now run 4:3 mode for a more natural looking image.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I do the same. I prefer a natural look. I absolutely despise stretched images.

Ugh. I hate it when retro enthusiasts run 4:3 resolutions in 16:9 mode. The only reason why it was like that in the first place was just because I wanted to get everything running first.

• Like 1

Built RespeQt for the Raspberry Pi400 today, communicating nicely via my home made SIO2USB cable. The Pi400 really is the perfect machine for this job, it's design gives me the retro 'feels'.

I have to ask those in the know. Is there a benefit to enabling handshaking, and what SIO divisor should I be capable of (currently running divisor 5)?

hettRgs.jpg

N01lC5V.jpg

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Sophia 2 arrived today, a very nice bit of kit this one.

Mounted the DVI daughterboard using the usual standoffs soldered into the holes left behind by the RF modulator. Software 80 columns is very sharp now, in fact everything is very sharp now (having said that, my svideo output was pretty good).

I was very pleased to see that FJC's latest U1MB update with the Sophia 2 plugin picked up the Sophia 2 no problems, and after a bit of mucking about with resolutions I was up and running. The best thing is: My Sharp Aquos 19" LCD monitor has analogue inputs for HDMI so I don't need to mod the 600XL's case anymore than needed by adding an audio out jack.

Awaiting the arrival of my reproduction 600XL badge and then this little beasty will be finished.

C7xrKOJ.jpg

WShjVUw.jpg

CrxPJoT.jpg

UIHibM8.jpg

WX4Azu5.jpg

CP4fXu3.jpg

TEbWhsE.jpg

4osM7eG.jpg

• Like 3