IGNORED

U1MB Installation Challenges - 800XL

Dr Memory

That is really weird. I mean, I don't doubt that you guys are having issues. It just seems really strange how some of us are having issues getting to the site, and others of us are able to get there without any issues whatsoever.

I use Firefox pretty much exclusively at home. I started to think that maybe it was a browser issue, but I had no trouble reaching his site using Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or IE. I can't explain it. All I know is that I've had no problem reaching his site whenever I've tried since yesterday evening, from work or home, using any browser that I've tried, with NordVPN on or off. It's all very, very strange.

I hope it starts working soon for you guys.

This is sort of a coda to the U1MB installation, the original purpose of the thread, from way back in the days before we got sidetracked into figuring out if lotharek.pl is really down or what.  :)

I decided it was time to put the modified machine back in its case.  It now has MUCH better video than previously, auto-switches between composite and S-video, and has Ultimate 1MB installed and working.  Yay!  Unfortunately, this caused it to gain substantial weight.  I can certainly sympathize!

I was able to replace the bottom shield, no problem, but not the top.  A moment's thought and I saw this should have been obvious.  The U1MB sticks up far too far for the shield to go back on.  No problem.  I searched on here and found that others had come to the same conclusion.  Some cut away some of the shield, most went without.

Where it got bad was when I tried to put it in the case.  Ugh.  It is... tight, to say the least.  I think the case is actually a little warped now.  Even with the cables folded over and layered differently to make it as low profile as I could manage, I still had to pretty much force it.  I've got it installed in the same spot as FJC's video.  My ribbon cables are longer because I didn't modify them, but I was able to fold them out of the way pretty good.  It's still just a lot thicker.

I think the thing that stuck up the most was actually the four-pin CPU connector.  If I ever open up this machine again (and I dearly hope to avoid that) I'll try and replace it with something lower profile, with the wires coming out the side instead of the top.  Anyway, it's a darned tight fit.  I don't remember seeing comments on that.  Did I do something wrong with my install or is that normal?

On the bright side, it's working.  Now I need to learn how to use it - how it interacts with SIDE 3, that sort of thing.  But that's not a problem, that's an adventure.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

My U1MB installation was an adventure as well.  I have not done an Atari mod in 10 years.  Last week while cleaning up my workspace, I found my un-installed U1MB so of course, I had to install it.  I ordered my sockets and watched Jon's video multiple times.

The sockets arrived Friday morning and I began.  Now I don't have to learn how to solder... been doing that for years.  The real challenge now at 65 is to see the things I want to solder and to keep my hands steady for the operation.

I work slowly... took me about 4 hours to get it to power on stage.  Didn't work at first.  I believe some of the pads on my mb where the 4 wires connect are not functional because I started moving them from the mb to the CPU legs and then it started working.

This is a really cool device. My hat is off to Candle, Jon and Lotharek.  This thing takes my 800xl into a brave new world.

Once I got it working, I installed Jon's 3.10 fw.  Very cool. 

I knew I wanted to mount it permanently in the case but due to the height of the OS plug-in cable (the module is over 1 inch tall from the motherboard) I had to mount it over the SIO port.  I could not mount it like Jon's video.  I guess I could get those flat cable connectors in place of the monsters that came with my board.  Part #s ??? ?

But anyway, tonight I took it back apart and routed the cables a little more cleanly and got it looking pretty good.  Put it back together and booted it back up.

Now that is machine is also connected to my BBS PC via an APE cable. I move software to it from my large repository of Atari files for general testing and playing.

When I went to run a file from one of my APE drives, it sputtered at me.  No SIO or APE connection.  I did all of the things you do (power off, power on, check cables etc) and I still had nothing on the APE connection.

I took the 800XL back apart and checked all of the cables and wiring connections.  Everything looked good. I am mad at myself thinking that I have destroyed the 800XL with a poor installation.  (It wasn't that poor).

So I decided to try a stock 130XE that happened to be sitting on the desk next to the 800XL.  WTF!!!! It didn't work either.  No SIO access.

I unplugged my high dollar gold contact APE<->USB plug to the PC... plugged it back in and away it went!!!  That plug was last plugged in over five years ago... just sitting there covered with dust.   Boy do I feel better.

See how tall my connector is?  The U1MB will not mount over that.

image.png.b719b414ae1d01788747e9b08e36d134.png

3 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

See how tall my connector is?  The U1MB will not mount over that.

Lotharek is being a pain in the ass again, first he used right angle connectors on the U1MB PCB and now he is providing cables with an adapter rather than using the correct IDC ribbon cable connector that can plug directly into the OS socket. The pictures on his website still show the original type of connector.

Below is a link to the type of OS socket connector that used to come with the U1MB, I would think at that price it would be less expensive that what he has supplied instead.

https://www.peconnectors.com/male-idc-headers-plugs-.100/hws15893

3 hours ago, BillC said:

Lotharek is being a pain in the ass again, first he used right angle connectors on the U1MB PCB and now he is providing cables with an adapter rather than using the correct IDC ribbon cable connector that can plug directly into the OS socket. The pictures on his website still show the original type of connector.

Well I did buy this U1MB MANY years ago.  It's the dark colored one, not the white one he currently sells so I don't really blame him for this... it is what it is.  I would buy this new style connector here in the US if I knew what and where.

7 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

Well I did buy this U1MB MANY years ago.  It's the dark colored one, not the white one he currently sells so I don't really blame him for this... it is what it is.  I would buy this new style connector here in the US if I knew what and where.

OK, I jumped to conclusions about this being another change implemented by Lotharek.

The link I posted is for a company in southern California, unfortunately they have a $25 minimum order, the current 28-pin connector can be removed and the new one crimped on. If your U1MB doesn't have SMD resistors next to the 20-pin MMU header you have the original U1MB version that is at risk of damage to the CPLD chip.

30 minutes ago, BillC said:

OK, I jumped to conclusions about this being another change implemented by Lotharek.

The IDC adapter (like the right angle pin headers) represented dark days better forgotten. I used to manufacture new cables with the proper transitional connectors as a matter of course. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillC said:

The link I posted is for a company in southern California, unfortunately they have a $25 minimum order, the current 28-pin connector can be removed and the new one crimped on. If your U1MB doesn't have SMD resistors next to the 20-pin MMU header you have the original U1MB version that is at risk of damage to the CPLD chip.

Looks good... maybe I will find some other stuff I need to get to the $25 min.  And my U1MB does have the R8 and R9 resistors on the board.