IGNORED

Modified CX40 With 2 Buttons For 7800 Use :)

Shawn

Thought I would share this joystick I made. I took a few odds and

ends I had sitting around to make this original Atari CX40 into

a 2 button stick for use with 7800 games too. Original button is the

left fire and the new button on top of the stick is the right fire.

I replaced the original orange fire button with a red one from a 3rd party 

Archer stick so it matches the new red button I added to to the top of

the stick. Was just a little fun with random parts to make something

useful. I still have to clean up the stick as it's still a little dirty from

sitting for years. I might redo the paint or perhaps just remove

the rest of the old yellow and leave it black like the vader sticks.

DSCF1065.JPG.9146daf66b4fa2a22840a465b804549f.JPG

:)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Pretty cool, I like it, the orange fits well with the other colors. :) The CX40 is pretty friendly for stalk buttons being a hollow cylinder that it is strange Atari never tried for them when many other third party makers did.

Same with the face button, with so much symmetry then I wonder why the CX40 didn't have a second button in the other corner for lefties. You'd think Atari would have made something like the Competition Pro eventually but nope.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Looks nice and wish Atari had come up with something like that instead of the damned CX24. Curious how the top button is secured though. It thread right into the white plastic handle or...?  

Threaded into the rubber boot and the button is flush to the trimmed spine inside the boot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Nice work Shawn!

I'd really love to see a little micro switch joystick jammed in a CX 40 too..

I did replace the dome on the fire button with a micro switch. I've replaced all the directions and fire on other controllers in the past. I have a 3rd party "Ace" 2600 joystick I did that to a while ago. Nice and clicky..lol... This CX40's directional domes are like new so I didn't feel a need to do so on this particular controller.

• Like 1

For a re-imagined CX40 design, I'd go for 2 smaller fire buttons in a diagonal layout with the 2nd button being smaller than the first. Sorta like with some of the buttons on the original Xbox Duke. And for the ring design, I'd have actual Fujis in the 4 main position markers. And a turbo switch above the actual joystick. That way nothing gets in the way of any custom joystick couplers.

14 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

For a re-imagined CX40 design, I'd go for 2 smaller fire buttons in a diagonal layout with the 2nd button being smaller than the first. Sorta like with some of the buttons on the original Xbox Duke. And for the ring design, I'd have actual Fujis in the 4 main position markers. And a turbo switch above the actual joystick. That way nothing gets in the way of any custom joystick couplers.

Build it! :)

• Like 1

Great job @Shawn, looks great :), can this mod also be done with AtGames Flashback CX40 player 2 joysticks also or just the OG version? A really nice design, now that I think of it it sure beats the crap out of the CX24 "PainLine" (as you guys like to call her) stick, in which as a 5200 owner I like to use as a digital alternative to the CX52 when used with my Redemption 5200 7800 Edition interface.