IGNORED

Lotharek down?

ratwell

7 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

it's not down, it's just poor web management, his certificates are out of date expired etc.. you can have your browser ignore the errors and still use his site to order...

His certificates are fine - I just checked. The site is up here just now. The OP’s browser may be out of date or have some ISP-specific issue. 

89CEEE06-E6F9-411D-93BC-42B217DC9558.jpeg

If you ever added an exception you won't get the error

earlier checks were done and verified by others earlier this day, but now...

image.thumb.png.84b0ec718691c9bbc8849d131b90d99d.png

I of course can still go to the site though as I had added an exception long ago...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Spoiler

about:certificate?cert=MIIFfTCCBGWgAwIBAgIQPEcY1VpiqF93wMzjZE%2FmwTANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsFADBYMQswCQYDVQQGEwJQTDEcMBoGA1UECgwTbmF6d2EucGwgc3AuIHogby5vLjEYMBYGA1UECwwPaHR0cDovL25hendhLnBsMREwDwYDVQQDDAhuYXp3YVNTTDAeFw0yMDA3MTMwNzMxMDhaFw0yMTA3MTIwNzMxMDhaMBYxFDASBgNVBAMMC2xvdGhhcmVrLnBsMHYwEAYHKoZIzj0CAQYFK4EEACIDYgAEfg3FW0fTZ6cK98MV%2F07OaGgDvKAxSN0yCyXU8W%2FB8c8KgZR0mRGeHLAzSl%2FRe5xm4j0LxZpSskJ4PIj4%2FFwbvUMc41Oa51peK%2B38kt97AqI%2FsjpxwIbWl8djKJa3W9pSo4IDMTCCAy0wDAYDVR0TAQH%2FBAIwADA3BgNVHR8EMDAuMCygKqAohiZodHRwOi8vY3JsLmNlcnR1bS5wbC9uYXp3YXNzbDJzaGEyLmNybDB7BggrBgEFBQcBAQRvMG0wMAYIKwYBBQUHMAGGJGh0dHA6Ly9uYXp3YXNzbDJzaGEyLm9jc3AtY2VydHVtLmNvbTA5BggrBgEFBQcwAoYtaHR0cDovL3JlcG9zaXRvcnkuY2VydHVtLnBsL25hendhc3NsMnNoYTIuY2VyMB8GA1UdIwQYMBaAFFTckLudRxlRw3loLITtLt9fRrrHMB0GA1UdDgQWBBT%2FfTgk0duHGVASSmNg%2FQI0sXntBjBNBgNVHSAERjBEMAgGBmeBDAECATA4Bg0qhGgBhvZ3AgUBCQIDMCcwJQYIKwYBBQUHAgEWGWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNlcnR1bS5wbC9DUFMwHQYDVR0lBBYwFAYIKwYBBQUHAwEGCCsGAQUFBwMCMA4GA1UdDwEB%2FwQEAwIHgDAnBgNVHREEIDAeggtsb3RoYXJlay5wbIIPd3d3LmxvdGhhcmVrLnBsMIIBfgYKKwYBBAHWeQIEAgSCAW4EggFqAWgAdwBVgdTCFpA2AUrqC5tXPFPwwOQ4eHAlCBcvo6odBxPTDAAAAXNHFarCAAAEAwBIMEYCIQCa%2FWWtI3M9wTYgYmxzpRQB%2F5hyFim3yfS%2BAbYl0AZlbwIhAO4ogyNPCci23BLqR%2B%2B77qKYMv2SoAptuN5n5VGR8VIrAHUARJRlLrDuzq%2FEQAfYqP4owNrmgr7YyzG1P9MzlrW2gagAAAFzRxWq6wAABAMARjBEAiAori9qqFS95O6QU4gxbbXKRhPgUpIo5NkyPmmDuHxOVgIgZ8EnClXwY%2BG1OMoF6GPOq2Yam4syspNuqZvxIBWAT%2B0AdgD2XJQv0XcwIhRUGAgwlFaO400TGTO%2F3wwvIAvMTvFk4wAAAXNHFarHAAAEAwBHMEUCIQDTbUWORoeK1opeSvzZbPtaVOBjEUGRVpz91K2i9AtiPgIgUYSmmEI9Q3u3cNoo4coJPi%2Fd4%2F%2BO%2BZTBj0UjYm3og14wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQELBQADggEBACHpKtGcMGaFqNqWd22g8emuvLxR1ozjqxF5dM1Z%2FJ042OGxINXzfd3rPrBfZnVebhn2pai%2FNTs%2Bk3FYI7FqHqqqrKadyankhjkD5dOtvT%2Bu%2FVrhmTp1MiAr5y6LjzQa4eiHsqQ7AlqvJEag7BcKO%2FXv4JkUv1uIIa8H%2BQD6BeSDegzOYPhMJaRspJRQ%2BL1W70mBI9zxTBxxpmtKnzborliL9xW17Btud8MDSWCi1ePYhB2njN4nU6h1RbV1uGoEsAPQQUJXth49rqChoSn3IZZjw3EC6m3h6x197ww5XPd9LaSmNwkGfX4UD3Kb%2BEGLi3sW2A7XKv1gDFbpIsUr858%3D&cert=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%2Bkf7ixPAWPXm6vh%2F4RFExTj4aUDfjMZZ3cNxGEsca109j%2FoWHcLX565MRkkBe7EuxuZeQIsIIzosY0P6MZWeBFCH8pPXRn2Oq3SrpnMUhuaPeqQ%2FWElwd4wndQouUZ1K4duYNb1EiKKfX24eiUboejEBgcmwjhBmvllHoE7TvjuNd5vgpxpS2Bh4HmFfLAgMBAAGjggEMMIIBCDASBgNVHRMBAf8ECDAGAQH%2FAgEAMDIGA1UdHwQrMCkwJ6AloCOGIWh0dHA6Ly9jcmwuY2VydHVtLnBsL2dzY2FzaGEyLmNybDBuBggrBgEFBQcBAQRiMGAwKAYIKwYBBQUHMAGGHGh0dHA6Ly9zdWJjYS5vY3NwLWNlcnR1bS5jb20wNAYIKwYBBQUHMAKGKGh0dHA6Ly9yZXBvc2l0b3J5LmNlcnR1bS5wbC9nc2Nhc2hhMi5jZXIwHwYDVR0jBBgwFoAUVJndm%2F%2Fopw6jGZ1bvkJX3zD8jzIwHQYDVR0OBBYEFFTckLudRxlRw3loLITtLt9fRrrHMA4GA1UdDwEB%2FwQEAwIBBjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsFAAOCAQEANwuNWA0q74QoHr114Qp0eCcWarw7iWgR5vTNMzfx40TGZrOdnTr8KDBspLvsscs6O33WW%2Bqz0GzY%2F0Dw0ZWdZPZ32h5GcPMMsCTlqnzDvKTEADI7wDMPqlgBVI%2Bpx61%2F0MVZ%2Blw%2BMR9xs2QFS2NfGs8hbRp6agDFUVepiuxfOVfl2GK83gNhW7Xbf2fxZ4sRujhVTZk%2BVHbX2RS1nTxRCTQRd4YiFyFR1c7DYfp5%2BPr2y7IV9CV2HlSbELzWbfg85hg5YHMs%2BnCb5wLRizecvKQ4w0p9kQbZ8b57tMZj64p%2BUI2S6bmTQYk2jqLHE7yJj3PdRA9bsDIFlGqcjDEcMg%3D%3D&cert=MIIEzTCCA7WgAwIBAgIRANBLb%2BXdW9Ih58dM9kaLMUYwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQELBQAwfjELMAkGA1UEBhMCUEwxIjAgBgNVBAoTGVVuaXpldG8gVGVjaG5vbG9naWVzIFMuQS4xJzAlBgNVBAsTHkNlcnR1bSBDZXJ0aWZpY2F0aW9uIEF1dGhvcml0eTEiMCAGA1UEAxMZQ2VydHVtIFRydXN0ZWQgTmV0d29yayBDQTAeFw0xNDA5MTExMjAwMDBaFw0yNzA2MDkxMDQ2MzlaMIGDMQswCQYDVQQGEwJQTDEiMCAGA1UEChMZVW5pemV0byBUZWNobm9sb2dpZXMgUy5BLjEnMCUGA1UECxMeQ2VydHVtIENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gQXV0aG9yaXR5MScwJQYDVQQDEx5DZXJ0dW0gR2xvYmFsIFNlcnZpY2VzIENBIFNIQTIwggEiMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4IBDwAwggEKAoIBAQDHhvLXeA4kyBVYDr12JusjW%2B%2FHPPWpBmWnSZC9gadbNXCD%2FGlHrGruRWrKn0YBasbonXi5FLRon717aCCDt2%2B7URnJx4mLGt3X73yH3I%2BT%2BCOuyTFOuLId68jYV4vfBm1N%2FN1%2FKohGr8%2BR7eT4f4agfXVQ%2BgDZT3pGTywqc9IId4uHaFjW%2Bmr5vVfu7WjL8A20jOawvlqV2K4%2FqSrjPZsqHlzf46LHgbQEK1EjTPsFrfvAQxvGpHiEIAFsS%2B1d2xPIEJVIxvq%2BKyGbW%2F0SJIj7%2FSfYo%2BItvJ2a4%2FG2JfoPF9wTCC0N8U5I%2FKXxjYYXBcIE9pQ16T24T%2BdrMfPG2mYtAgMBAAGjggE%2BMIIBOjAPBgNVHRMBAf8EBTADAQH%2FMB0GA1UdDgQWBBRUmd2b%2F%2BinDqMZnVu%2BQlffMPyPMjAfBgNVHSMEGDAWgBQIds3LB%2F8k9sXN7buQvOKEN0Z19zAOBgNVHQ8BAf8EBAMCAQYwLwYDVR0fBCgwJjAkoCKgIIYeaHR0cDovL2NybC5jZXJ0dW0ucGwvY3RuY2EuY3JsMGsGCCsGAQUFBwEBBF8wXTAoBggrBgEFBQcwAYYcaHR0cDovL3N1YmNhLm9jc3AtY2VydHVtLmNvbTAxBggrBgEFBQcwAoYlaHR0cDovL3JlcG9zaXRvcnkuY2VydHVtLnBsL2N0bmNhLmNlcjA5BgNVHSAEMjAwMC4GBFUdIAAwJjAkBggrBgEFBQcCARYYaHR0cDovL3d3dy5jZXJ0dW0ucGwvQ1BTMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBCwUAA4IBAQDRhC%2ByVHfF%2FIFcNNKbkxX1aVsCZ0fa2t%2BMxyFcs7KOqW1fGpOOycughOFnbM%2Blz4Y3gt5RaOFJTm7YVUZZ3751s5tv8nhXeXfrRIpQN7Cu%2BNei457HlDxEUItPlkYnDbdDes%2F96T19cICd1TmIPekYRXiyuPW4Wgx6vykmk91xLkJ0y74TzVtUofVF446qXvea95zNpzYCVMg%2BAOX3ZZyy9XfST6g4um%2Bcw%2FIdv31dbnJdBzMOgHH3uw2YMiZQgDqvNRE%2BwAs%2BPTFEIKHmBc%2Ft1n3Shvg9e68M%2B5ZRM8bEWGqgLqfreTgCsCQcv9MDYw9TFUbS17RdE6NtiPfszTky&cert=MIIDuzCCAqOgAwIBAgIDBETAMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBQUAMH4xCzAJBgNVBAYTAlBMMSIwIAYDVQQKExlVbml6ZXRvIFRlY2hub2xvZ2llcyBTLkEuMScwJQYDVQQLEx5DZXJ0dW0gQ2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBBdXRob3JpdHkxIjAgBgNVBAMTGUNlcnR1bSBUcnVzdGVkIE5ldHdvcmsgQ0EwHhcNMDgxMDIyMTIwNzM3WhcNMjkxMjMxMTIwNzM3WjB%2BMQswCQYDVQQGEwJQTDEiMCAGA1UEChMZVW5pemV0byBUZWNobm9sb2dpZXMgUy5BLjEnMCUGA1UECxMeQ2VydHVtIENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gQXV0aG9yaXR5MSIwIAYDVQQDExlDZXJ0dW0gVHJ1c3RlZCBOZXR3b3JrIENBMIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA4%2Ft9o3K6wvDJFIf1awFO4W5AB7ptJ11%2F91sts1rHUV%2BrpDKmYYe2bg%2BG0jACl%2FjXaVehGDldamR5xgFZrDwxSjh80gTSSyjoIF87B6LMTXPb865Px1bVWqeWifrzq2jUI4ZZJ88JJ7ysbnKDHDBy3%2BCi6dLhdHUZvSqeexVUBBvXQzmtVSjF4hq79MDkrjhJM8x2hZ85RdKknvISjFH4fOQtf%2FWsX%2BsWn7Et0brMkUJ3TCXJkDhv2%2FDM%2B44el1k%2B1WBO5gUo7Ul5E0u6SNsv%2BXLTOcr%2BH9g0cvW0QM8xAcPs3hEtF10fuFDRXhmnad4HMyjKUJX5p1TLVIZQRan5SQIDAQABo0IwQDAPBgNVHRMBAf8EBTADAQH%2FMB0GA1UdDgQWBBQIds3LB%2F8k9sXN7buQvOKEN0Z19zAOBgNVHQ8BAf8EBAMCAQYwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEFBQADggEBAKaorSLOAT2mo%2F9i0Eidi15ysHhE49wcrwn9I0j6vSrEuVUEtRCjjSfeC4Jj0O7eDDd5QVsisrCaQVymcODU0HfLI9MA4GxWL%2BFpDQ3Zqr8hgVDZBqWo%2F5U30Kr%2B4rP1mS1FhIrlQgnXdAIv94nYmem8J9RHjboNRhx3zxSkHLmkMcScKHQDNP8zGSal6Q10tz6XxnboJ5ajZt3hrvJBW8qYVoNzcOSGGtIxQbovvi0TWnZvTuhOgQ4%2FWwMioBK%2BZlgRSssDxLQqKi2WF%2BA5VLxI03YnnZotBqbJ7DnSq9ufmgsnAjUpsUCV5%2FnonFWIGUbWtzT1fs45mtk48VH3Tyw%3D

I'd say a number of people are proficient enough to know why folks are having issues, and are recommending that an exception be added so they can still use the site.

you can see he's got a certificate through some authority in poland but it expires in july now. it's for 1 year. but it's not properly shared through all the signing authorities.

His site is safe... it's just blocked for folks that don't get that particular authorities certificates.

in any event the site is changing in some way through out the day as the pop up message about his rules/registration etc what not is no longer show but the site is still coming up just fine for me and others.

commenting after work is being done and fixing is occuring isn't particularly helpful, but at least it is showing progress and attention is being given.

Edited by _The Doctor__

To be clear, today his site showed differences during the day

early today as                  expired...

sometime during the day  no certificate...

and then finally                 certificate in use for over half a year and expiring in july 2021

his site also delivered a pop up about his rules/expectation whatever at one point and now doesn't show that pop up.

just hit advanced and add an exception you'll get the site and all will be fine.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yes because as I showed you, it's been fixed.

and I also stated that for those who don't view his CA as valid or it hasn't worked it's way through the system yet... to just add the exception as it's safe.

but if it helps anyone... your right it should be working now.

If you don't want to wait or the CA isn't accepted just add the exception, unless there is another way to word it. I think it is all covered

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 minute ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Yes because as I showed you, it's been fixed.

and I also stated that for those who don't view his CA as valid or it hasn't worked it's way through the system yet... to just add the exception as it's safe.

but if it helps anyone... your right it should be working now.

It was never *NOT* working for most people. Probably an issue with various peoples’ own personal browsers not having updated root security certificates. For most users who browse with Chrome, Safari, or any other browser based on WebKit or Chromium who have not messed around deep in their browser security settings, there was no problem to begin with. 

There should have been, since it's status changed through out the day. Silly people such as myself checked periodically as different folks made mention of issues. Interesting thing. A curiosity.

Although based on the different posts about it today... I don't think the people who have a problem messed around deep in their browser security settings. I don't think they know how to check any of it, and since they need to be told how to quickly add an exception I don't expect anything else. I'm pretty sure it will filter down to everyone over time and they'll get updated certificate.

Update you browser and your windows/whatever os and it may be there.

else search update root certificates using your favorite search engine.

Maybe that will cover just about all of it then, perhaps some helpful hints that I missed for folks. Saying it works for me doesn't really help for those that it isn't working for...

Edited by _The Doctor__

7 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

It was never *NOT* working for most people. Probably an issue with various peoples’ own personal browsers not having updated root security certificates. For most users who browse with Chrome, Safari, or any other browser based on WebKit or Chromium who have not messed around deep in their browser security settings, there was no problem to begin with. 

Yes, well, I was and am one of those having issues.  I'm seeing it on Firefox and Chrome on a Windows 10 machine, Chromium on a Raspberry PI, Safari on a Mac, and Chrome on a Samsung Phone through an entirely separate path (not even the same ISP).  So you are not correct in asserting that this has anything to do with people who have messed around deep in their browser security settings.  The Raspios install is ultra-fresh (like < 24 hours old).  I haven't touched the Mac in years - it sits quietly there serving music and has no updates beyond whatever Apple pushes out.  I've certainly not touched the phone settings - those are pretty well locked down by AT&T.  Whatever is going on is not due to user error nor caused by user configuration changes.

I just rechecked and I'm still getting the problem on all the platforms described, even after rebooting.

I think you are optimistic in your assertion that "It was never *NOT* working for most people" as very few responded to the other thread, where I first reported this.  We have no evidence for what percentage of people were/are experiencing the problem and not enough of a geographic sample to know if it's a regional issue.

Also, the specific error I'm getting is not triggering the "Advanced" option - just "Learn more..." and "Try Again".  I am very familiar with the Advanced dialog and allowing exceptions and this is not a situation where that is available.

Sorry, but the evidence doesn't back up your assertions.  Just because not everyone is seeing a problem, that doesn't mean there is no problem.  There is a real problem on Lotharek's end and it isn't fixed yet.  Could it be worked around by configuring an exception?  Maybe, I'd gladly try that but every browser I've tried on every platform I've tried has failed to offer me a path to doing so.

For those who didn't read the original thread, I can reach his site with ping and traceroute and the like, but all of my attempts at connecting to his web site are rejected with security errors.  Also, I just dug into the security settings on one of the browsers on one of my PCs and I can see that I'm set up to query OCSP servers (one of the normal ways to validate certificates).  Nothing looks wierd or is disabled.  Further, I'm able to access everything else I've tried, including other sites in Europe and specifically Poland.

This is a configuration issue, on his end, guys.  I imagine he's working on it but have no way to verify that.

Oh, I did one last test - I logged in to work using my corporate laptop using VPN.  Once I've done that, I'm effectively accessing the internet from a different state (specifically, Washington).  Got the same symptoms there with Firefox, IE 11, and Edge.  All of those are locked down by corporate and most assuredly have their security, root certificates, and CRLs or OCSP settings up to date.  I really shouldn't use work resources for this but I'm really frustrated (and it was a fast, simple test).

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

People - DNS entries and SSL certificates don't just automatically update for all 7 billion people at the same time.  Calm down, it will all resolve in a day or so.

Agreed - it is almost certainly fixed or in work and will eventually propagate.  I just got annoyed by some of the claims being made, sorry.

I agree. I've been on numerous times since yesterday afternoon and have experienced no connectivity issues whatsoever, all the while, some people are talking about not being able to connect and certificate issues, etc. Actually, once I saw these posts, I kept logging in more and more, just so I could tell everyone that his site is still up. I'm not trying to deny that some people are experiencing problems, only that I have no exceptions created, for any site at all, and I've not had any trouble getting through to Lotharek's Lair. I've probably hit it 25-30 time all through Friday night into Saturday morning, then more Saturday afternoon. No security warnings anywhere in site.

It does seem like a lot of the posts that I've seen from those having issues seem to be towards the west coast side of the U.S.

Conversely, I have had zero problems accessing the site earlier this,week, this morning, and this evening on both Wi-Fi and cellular (AT&T) on a Windows 10 machine (Chrome), and iPad (Safari and Chrome) and my iPhone (Safari). Sounds very much like. a localized problem . Shrug*

6 minutes ago, chevymad said:

Tried my cell through ATT. It also says "this site can't provide a secure connection" and refuses to show. So that's ATT and Spectrum cable in Washington state. 

I too have AT&T and Spectrum, but zero issues. It's just really strange how some of us have the same providers, though obviously in completely different parts of the country, but some have no issues whatsoever, and some have nothing but issues...

I did message Lotharek. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything from him.

25 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I have been on his site a few times today using phone data (Bell Canada) and my cable internet (Rogers) with no issues.  Quite strange.    

Out here in the West, but also Bell Canada phone data and Shaw internet - SSL error.  I know it's a propagation thing, just odd the way propagation happens.  Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

No issues from my side, I have been visiting the site on/off for a couple of weeks now. 

If you have a VPN you could try it via that to see if you can connect. I have found that often to be a good way to see if it is a local ISP issue. In the past I had constant DNS issues with some sites which would often work when I went via a VPN. 

I slept on it and thought of something else to try.  I got on a Linux box I use for development and tried to go to lotharek.pl.  Same problem, exactly.  Same error and still no opportunity to add an exception.  I then brought up a VPN and temporarily placed myself in the Ukraine.  This sort of thing is exactly why I subscribe to a VPN - I actually do network development and debugging as part of my day job on occasion.  Which is why I know how to debug things like this and what evidence to gather and how to think about it properly.

Anyway, from there, with the VPN up, I can access lotharek.pl.  Same computer, same network connection, same web browser, same settings, no exception required, just accessing it from a different geographic region.  I think this puts the theories about this being my personal setup to bed pretty thoroughly.

Best guess - Lotharek's website provider uses a CDN (Content Distribution Network) and that CDN is being slow about updating some of their mirrors.  The fact that I can access it without issue when localized elsewhere means his config is fixed, it's just that the fixed version hasn't propagated to my area yet.

To be clear, if this is really an issue with the CDN and not with his site, he doesn't need to do anything and it should clear up on its own when the CDN gets around to updating their mirrors.  From our point of view, it should just start working.  However, if it doesn't start working after a day or two, Lotharek needs to open a ticket with his hosting service and tell them about it, so they can in turn open a ticket with the CDN.

If, on the other hand, he's totally self-hosted,  and subscribing to a CDN directly, he has some work to do.  :)

Edited by Dr Memory
added thoughts on implications of CDN issue
  • Like 4