IGNORED

Season 18 Round 15 of 15 - Mega Man

asponge

This is the last round of season 18! Looks like Razzie.P pretty much has first placed locked up.  Spots 2-5 are still up for grabs though.  After this round we'll take a short intermission to come up with some titles we want to play next season so please keep that in mind.

880463541_MegamanCartridge.png.aa957ded4daf732ebd49c6bfa50c9158.png 1747904047_MegamanScreenshot.png.ca47c270b22055783f7ea978681f8d9e.png

Game Rules:

Complete the stages in any order you'd like

No 1-Up Farming

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday March 21 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

1,254,000 by Austin posted on 4/9/2012

Scores as of 3/17:

Razzie.P       468,000
S.BAZ          131,800
fakecortex      90,100
Captain Kiwi    28,000
toiletunes      20,500
jblenkle        15,000

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.thumb.png.a2f9cd2842f6ebb3e41529970f294154.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png

On 3/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, bubufubu said:

This game reverts back to the stage select screen after the credits.  Do you want to allow people to keep playing until they lose their last life or would you prefer a hard cutoff after beating it/game over on the first loop?

There were no loop limits for Contra or Castlevania this season.  Go ahead and keep going until you're out of lives.

On 3/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, bubufubu said:

Also, 1-Ups can be exploited in this.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what you're referring to, but as a general rule if something feels unsportsmanlike then it should be avoided.

3 hours ago, asponge said:

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what you're referring to, but as a general rule if something feels unsportsmanlike then it should be avoided.

There are three stages in the game which have a 1-Up that can be collected, over and over.  I mentioned it in case you wanted to set a limit for total lives.

I was gonna say that this round will have two categories: those that loop the game and those that can get past a few levels. But now I'm gonna change it to: those that loop the game and those that can get past the first section of Gutsman.

Been a nice amount of time since I played through this, and I always needed continues. I liked writing down the best order to complete the levels, so I prob won't look it up just yet.

Here's a lovely blue screen, forgot to check for the lines.

90,100 Beat Cutman, died on Gutsman

megaman-90k.thumb.JPG.214f7388dc87e249365e7743f5130dcb.JPG

But seriously, I can't get the timing on those Gutsman moving platforms. Jump just a little off and you go falling through them when they swing back up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bubufubu said:

There are three stages in the game which have a 1-Up that can be collected, over and over.  I mentioned it in case you wanted to set a limit for total lives.

I assume you mean that if you lose a life in one of these stages after you collect a 1-up you can then collect it again on the next play through.  Rule 5 of the season rules above expressly prohibits doing this on purpose. Part of the above rule was born out of the same concerns when we played the original Ninja Gaiden.  I said then, and I still believe, that if a player is honestly struggling to defeat a level and not intentionally dying in order to replay it then I don't have a problem with them grabbing the 1-up multiple times.  Dying repeatedly isn't an indication they're going to be crushing the top scores.  If anyone disagrees with this please speak up.

Having said all that I don't think setting a limit is necessary.  We can all use our best judgement as to whether or not we think we're playing fairly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fakecortex said:

But now I'm gonna change it to: those that loop the game and those that can get past the first section of Gutsman.

It's been a few years since I've played this one, but I definitely remember struggling with the Gutsman stage.  I used to pick that one first in case I couldn't get through it so I didn't end up wasting time defeating other stages just to bite it there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, asponge said:

I assume you mean that if you lose a life in one of these stages after you collect a 1-up you can then collect it again on the next play through.  Rule 5 of the season rules above expressly prohibits doing this on purpose. Part of the above rule was born out of the same concerns when we played the original Ninja Gaiden.  I said then, and I still believe, that if a player is honestly struggling to defeat a level and not intentionally dying in order to replay it then I don't have a problem with them grabbing the 1-up multiple times.  Dying repeatedly isn't an indication they're going to be crushing the top scores.  If anyone disagrees with this please speak up.

Having said all that I don't think setting a limit is necessary.  We can all use our best judgement as to whether or not we think we're playing fairly.

No, I mean that you can scroll the screen to make them reappear.  The most popular example of this would be on Bombman's stage.  You can jump into an enclosed platform to reach a 1-Up.  After collecting it, you can then backtrack, jump out, jump back in, and bam...the 1-Up is there again.

Again, this isn't a question of whether or not I thought this was against the rules.  It was only brought to your attention in case you wanted to put a limit on lives.  That's all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

No, I mean that you can scroll the screen to make them reappear.  The most popular example of this would be on Bombman's stage.  You can jump into an enclosed platform to reach a 1-Up.  After collecting it, you can then backtrack, jump out, jump back in, and bam...the 1-Up is there again.

Gotcha.  Yeah that's definitely a problem.

5 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

Again, this isn't a question of whether or not I thought this was against the rules.  It was only brought to your attention in case you wanted to put a limit on lives.  That's all.

I appreciate that.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Man...

I love this game but it ain't like riding a bike.

I have to get good at it all over again.

personally I remember liking the first two Megaman games the best of all.  I haven't really played them though since the '90's because ever since I got back into gaming it's been all about high score games for me.  (and this one I only played a tiny bit because of the 1-up and farming issues) 

Having fun getting clobbered!

I could always get through the Cut Man stage easily so that's where I've been starting

• Like 2

MM_468000.jpg.a39d8ad6dfa15d03be13046ebabf626e.jpg

Managed to finish 4 stages.  Taking a bit to re-learn platform timings and re-figure out what weapon to use where.  To me, it seems that "smart" weapon usage takes the difficulty down from "damn near impossible" to "welp... that wasn't so bad."  Especially the bosses, where fights can be over after just 2 hits.  

Fun bit of trivia -- this run ended in a similar manner to my previous Ninja Gaiden run -- I slipped on a patch of ice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Made it to the Yellow Devil / Rock Monster.   I have beaten this game before, but I don't think I've ever beaten this guy without using the pause trick, which doesn't seem right to use here, so I tried to fight him fair n' square.  Didn't go so well -- I had 2 lives left when I got there, and in those fights, I don't think I managed to land 3 hits on it.  I hope to give it another couple of shots this weekend, but this might be as far as I get without continues.

MM_729000.jpg.6a98963be267ad18d95478f818ba2896.jpg

• Like 2

That concludes season 18.  Congratulations to Razzie.P for being the overall season winner!

Points Awarded:

bubufubu       10,641,000   +25
Razzie.P          729,000   +20
AtariSphinx       144,200   +17
S.BAZ             131,800   +14
fakecortex         90,100   +12
Captain Kiwi       28,000   +10
toiletunes         20,500    +8
empsolo            15,200    +7
jblenkle           15,000    +6

Season 18 Final Scores:

Scoreboard.thumb.png.debb6219c89d6757745d02fa7a54b984.png