IGNORED

M.2 SSD Screw Correct Size

Rick Dangerous

Can anyone post a link to something they have purchased that fits properly? Please and thank you. This is just going to come up over and over and over again and it would be a huge help. 

I bought a set of screws on ebay and none of the worked...some fit but the bases were too tall. Would really be nice to just have a "go-to" solution for this that doesn't involve random screws around your house or scavenging parts from other machines. 

These seem a little short, like they would pinch the end of the SSD down...

Again if anyone has ordered a mounting kit with at least one screw or rubber part that works perfectly to keep the SSD in place,  please toss up a link to purchase.

This kit for example does NOT fit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-2-Standoffs-Mounting-Screws-Screwdriver-Kit-Compatible-MS-/284168653334

Screw bases that fit were too long, ones that were short enough were the wrong screw diameter. 

On 3/7/2021 at 9:37 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

An incredibly vague example of why this thread is necessary.

A LINK to what works please!

This is what I was told is the correct size https://www.amazon.com/Michaelia-Standoff-Drives-motherboard-screwdriver/dp/B07D6G9XXL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=W35RPK1UR19V&dchild=1&keywords=asus+m.2+screw+and+standoff&qid=1615274527&sprefix=Asus+m.2%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-4

But like I said I used a Gigabyte one s9mI can’t confirm. The gigabyte one is slightly longer.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I read on Facebook or Reddit, from a user who just got their new VCS, that the part is pre-installed on
the new systems. (Atari said they planned the antenna cables would be longer on new production too.)

I just mention this to prevent a new run VCS owner from buying something unnecessary. Check first. 

Mine, I got as "M.2 NVME SSD STAND OFF + SCREW", from Ebay.
m2standoff.thumb.JPG.8952cc33b1fcf77267d1ce39d2132496.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm : the screw is well supplied now. It is a screw format TORX T9.

In any case, this confirms that ATARI takes care to improve the service given to the customer. This is a step in the right direction. Too bad that the underside of the console does not allow direct access through a hatch to the SDRAM slot.

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, RadiATIon said:

I can confirm : the screw is well supplied now. It is a screw format TORX T9.

In any case, this confirms that ATARI takes care to improve the service given to the customer. This is a step in the right direction. Too bad that the underside of the console does not allow direct access through a hatch to the SDRAM slot.

Good news. I just got my VCS from the last batch, so I'm guessing I will have it as well.. It would suck to take it apart to find that I need to order one.

Edited by Allpaul
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, zzip said:

I just got mine, but didn't come with the screw unfortunately.   I see the docs on the Atari site say that "A 304 Pan Head Screw M3X4" is the correct size,  but I'm confused about whether the standoff is needed.

I used a screw without standoff and it worked fine.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:35 PM, rayik said:

I used a screw without standoff and it worked fine.

I did the same.   Although it's not completely level, and I wonder if it would be better with a standoff?   But still the m.2 drive is working and I guess that's what matters.

• 5 months later...

There was a rumor some months ago that they started supplying the screws, but I got mine over the summer and I didn't have one.   I could only find them in bulk online, so I ended up buying a pack of 100 screws to get just one (still have lots of spares, if anyone needs them PM me).   Good to hear they are supplying them now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzip said:

There was a rumor some months ago that they started supplying the screws, but I got mine over the summer and I didn't have one.   I could only find them in bulk online, so I ended up buying a pack of 100 screws to get just one (still have lots of spares, if anyone needs them PM me).   Good to hear they are supplying them now.

My VCS was one of the first production run models without the screw. I was lucky to be able to find some spare screws laying around the house that fit and had the exact same thread spacing. Put a 1TB drive in and maxed out the RAM. I know it may have been overkill but I didn’t want to open it back up again.

• 2 years later...

I just got my VCS back in January (2024) and it did not include a screw. However, when I began to reassemble the console after my upgrades, I ended up with one extra screw that looked to be a duplicate of the one holding the WiFi card in place. So on a whim I used it to hold down the SSD and it worked! I just want to know where it came from! lol

15 hours ago, fprefect said:

I just got my VCS back in January (2024) and it did not include a screw. However, when I began to reassemble the console after my upgrades, I ended up with one extra screw that looked to be a duplicate of the one holding the WiFi card in place. So on a whim I used it to hold down the SSD and it worked! I just want to know where it came from! lol

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it did have a screw.  I ordered the All in one Bundle direct from Atari.  Perhaps that "extra" screw is the included SSD screw and you just didn't realize when you took it out.  Without and SSD it's just screwed into the motherboard like any other screw in there.