Sign in to follow this  
Rick Dangerous

M.2 SSD Screw Correct Size

Can anyone post a link to something they have purchased that fits properly? Please and thank you. This is just going to come up over and over and over again and it would be a huge help. 

I bought a set of screws on ebay and none of the worked...some fit but the bases were too tall. Would really be nice to just have a "go-to" solution for this that doesn't involve random screws around your house or scavenging parts from other machines. 

I´ve used for the M2 SSD the typical M3 (Metric 3 / Lenght 4mm) screws, you´ll find in every PC Case Kit for mounting the mainboard.

But you can take equal screws with a smaller head.

Cheers,

andY

m3 s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Thanks 1

These seem a little short, like they would pinch the end of the SSD down...

Again if anyone has ordered a mounting kit with at least one screw or rubber part that works perfectly to keep the SSD in place,  please toss up a link to purchase.

This kit for example does NOT fit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-2-Standoffs-Mounting-Screws-Screwdriver-Kit-Compatible-MS-/284168653334

Screw bases that fit were too long, ones that were short enough were the wrong screw diameter. 

Someone told me it was the same size as Asus. I’m used one from my gigabyte board and it’s fractionally longer.

1 hour ago, yrly said:

Someone told me it was the same size as Asus. I’m used one from my gigabyte board and it’s fractionally longer.

An incredibly vague example of why this thread is necessary.

A LINK to what works please!

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:37 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

An incredibly vague example of why this thread is necessary.

A LINK to what works please!

This is what I was told is the correct size https://www.amazon.com/Michaelia-Standoff-Drives-motherboard-screwdriver/dp/B07D6G9XXL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=W35RPK1UR19V&dchild=1&keywords=asus+m.2+screw+and+standoff&qid=1615274527&sprefix=Asus+m.2%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-4

But like I said I used a Gigabyte one s9mI can’t confirm. The gigabyte one is slightly longer.

• Thanks 1

I read on Facebook or Reddit, from a user who just got their new VCS, that the part is pre-installed on
the new systems. (Atari said they planned the antenna cables would be longer on new production too.)

I just mention this to prevent a new run VCS owner from buying something unnecessary. Check first. 

Mine, I got as "M.2 NVME SSD STAND OFF + SCREW", from Ebay.
m2standoff.thumb.JPG.8952cc33b1fcf77267d1ce39d2132496.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can confirm : the screw is well supplied now. It is a screw format TORX T9.

In any case, this confirms that ATARI takes care to improve the service given to the customer. This is a step in the right direction. Too bad that the underside of the console does not allow direct access through a hatch to the SDRAM slot.

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, RadiATIon said:

I can confirm : the screw is well supplied now. It is a screw format TORX T9.

In any case, this confirms that ATARI takes care to improve the service given to the customer. This is a step in the right direction. Too bad that the underside of the console does not allow direct access through a hatch to the SDRAM slot.

Good news. I just got my VCS from the last batch, so I'm guessing I will have it as well.. It would suck to take it apart to find that I need to order one.

Edited by Allpaul
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, RadiATIon said:

I can confirm : the screw is well supplied now.

Mine had it too.

• Like 1

I just got mine, but didn't come with the screw unfortunately.   I see the docs on the Atari site say that "A 304 Pan Head Screw M3X4" is the correct size,  but I'm confused about whether the standoff is needed.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I just got mine, but didn't come with the screw unfortunately.   I see the docs on the Atari site say that "A 304 Pan Head Screw M3X4" is the correct size,  but I'm confused about whether the standoff is needed.

I used a screw without standoff and it worked fine.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:35 PM, rayik said:

I used a screw without standoff and it worked fine.

I did the same.   Although it's not completely level, and I wonder if it would be better with a standoff?   But still the m.2 drive is working and I guess that's what matters.

I got the m.2 screws that fit...  but to get them quickly, I had to order a package of 100 of them.     If anyone needs these screws, PM me and I'll be happy to send a few your way!

• Thanks 1