IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

7 hours ago, SvOlli said:

So what? Defeating most (if not all) types of encryption is easy.

All you have to do is to implement a trigger for bankswitching, which is not too complicated after dumping and disassembling the first bank. Only way I know to defeat this is using a Harmony/Melody board with code running in the ARM microcontroller.

Yup, and I suppose even that can be dumped.

The questions is what you would want to achieve.

• Prevent dumping in general? Tough if not impossible. Svolli will know for sure.
  • Tracking down the person who dumped and released the ROM? Possible if you watermark the ROMs. Removing the watermark without destroying the code will require an in depth analysis.
    E.g. if you watermark just random 100 bits and sell 1000 copies, you can (most likely) still identify the pirate even if ~90% of the watermarks got removed. And finding 100 unused bits is easy, even in a 4K ROM. Just think about the mirrored addresses and unused TIA bits. I once did an experiment with one of my own 4K games and easily got about 2500 bits in 600 bytes.

6 minutes ago, Glenn Main said:

Getting an email from David Crane just now telling me about Circus Convoy? Next level awesome.

I got it too!  Here is the announcement from the e-mail:

The brand new, never before released game CIRCUS CONVOY™, designed for the Atari® 2600™ by David Crane and Garry Kitchen, is a multi-screen action adventure where gamers play as "Andre the Magnificent", a circus strongman tasked with finding a saboteur among the speeding convoy trucks and sideshow trailers of a traveling Big-Top circus.

Audacity's second game, CASEY'S GOLD™, designed for the Atari® 2600™ by Dan Kitchen, is scheduled for release in summer 2021. Kitchen's game, originally announced in 2018, features a train conductor named Casey O'Kelly who must search for lost gold bars aboard a runaway western-style steam train.

Stay tuned for further details, or follow the links for more information.

Click here for CIRCUS CONVOY Sale Countdown!
View full press release

• Like 2

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE OF CIRCUS CONVOY
from David Crane, Garry Kitchen and Dan Kitchen
ON ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

LIVE INTERVIEW with Audacity Games on ZeroPage Homebrew!
Friday March 12 @ 4PM PT/7PM ET/12AM GMT

ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE LIVE INTERVIEW with Audacity Games comprising of the masters of the Atari 2600: David Crane, Garry Kitchen and Dan Kitchen. We will also be DEBUTING their new game CIRCUS CONVOY on the show!

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS! TUNE IN LIVE AND HAVE YOUR QUESTIONS READY!

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 12

Great to see them back! I'm guessing it's more for fun, as i know they were making mobile games the past few years. Surly can't be from a financial standpoint as mobile games would yield a larger paycheck. Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table other then what has already been mentioned. Also curious if they will use DPC as David did help design the chip or whether that's still Activision's property. Will also be interesting to see if they use any other enhancement chips or keep it old school.

The other interesting part is will the purist collectors consider this part of the original collection. I know there is many that don't collect or have an interest for homebrew as they only play original releases. Will they class these new games by the original founders to be in the same category or as modern homebrew. Will certainly be interesting to see how it unfolds.

• Like 2

I'm hoping these games aren't going to be super similar.  On a surface level they do.  Both feature a guy jumping over animals.  One on a convoy of trucks, one on train cars.  Can't wait to hopefully have my fears assuaged when I see footage of Circus Convoy on ZPH.  Also, John Deere might have something to say about the use of that green and yellow combo on the standard Circus Convoy box.  I hope that gets changed.  That's one hideous green. ?? I might have to go for the Collector's Edition just to avoid vomiting every time I pull the box off the shelf to play.

2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Great to see them back! I'm guessing it's more for fun, as i know they were making mobile games the past few years. Surly can't be from a financial standpoint as mobile games would yield a larger paycheck. Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table other then what has already been mentioned. Also curious if they will use DPC as David did help design the chip or whether that's still Activision's property. Will also be interesting to see if they use any other enhancement chips or keep it old school.

The other interesting part is will the purist collectors consider this part of the original collection. I know there is many that don't collect or have an interest for homebrew as they only play original releases. Will they class these new games by the original founders to be in the same category or as modern homebrew. Will certainly be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Oh my friend, you don’t need to wait for anything to unfold! I can tell you with 100% certainty and with no hesitation, that absolutely no game released by anyone in 2021 would  ever be classified as part of the official collection.

From a previous thread for those who may not be familiar with it:

“...In order to qualify, a game must meet or exceed the following requirements:
1) 100% plug & play compatible with an unmodified original NTSC / USA Atari 2600.
                    AND
2) Available for purchase at a retail store in the United States from 1977-1990.
                                        OR
3) Available through a mail order offer; advertized in a magazine or television ad.

Every cartridge presented for admission to this list is subjected to these questions:
(1) Was the cartridge NTSC compatible? Meaning, did it function properly when inserted
into a factory stock USA 2600 console connected to a 70s/80s era USA television set?
(2) Was the game a repeat or a copy or a clone or a rom hack of an already existing
and released game that was already on the list?
(3) Was there another one available? Meaning, at the time, had another person been
right next to you, or had they called the same phone number right after you,
could they have also purchased it at that time?
(4) Did you need to have a passport to get it? In other words, did you leave the
country and buy it elsewhere and/or did you have it brought in from outside the USA?
(5) Was the cartridge available during the natural lifespan of the system?

So it doesn’t matter whatsoever wether it’s some simple 2kb pong game programmed by a teenager or some highly advanced 64kb DPC Pitfall III programmed by David Crane himself, ANY game that is made today and forever forward, is merely a Homebrew.

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

As awesome as all of this news is, that is one boring company logo. The TikiVision logo was a lot cooler.

Hopefully it's just a WIP placeholder :)

23 hours ago, Supergun said:

When I buy a cartridge for my Atari 2600, it is for me to play when I want, where I want, and as often as I want. It is my property to do with what I wish. Wether that be to play it, shelve it, open it, dump it, sell it, trade it, break it, etc. And I don’t want anyone knowing when I’m playing it, or for how long, or what score I got, or if I took it to a friends house, etc.

If you want to play when you want, and where you want, then you're going to love the special top-tier Kickstart backer collector's edition! It comes with cybernetic neural implants, approved by the NIH and the IIAS!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

As awesome as all of this news is, that is one boring company logo. The TikiVision logo was a lot cooler.

Hopefully it's just a WIP placeholder :)

Personally i feel the whole "-vision" name place has been used to death and usually just a play on Activision. Something original would be nice and i agree what they're going with is a bit plain Jane to say the least.

6 hours ago, Supergun said:

Oh my friend, you don’t need to wait for anything to unfold! I can tell you with 100% certainty and with no hesitation, that absolutely no game released by anyone in 2021 would  ever be classified as part of the official collection.

1) 100% plug & play compatible with an unmodified original NTSC / USA Atari 2600.
                    AND
2) Available for purchase at a retail store in the United States from 1977-1990.
                                        OR
3) Available through a mail order offer; advertized in a magazine or television ad.

Every cartridge presented for admission to this list is subjected to these questions:
(1) Was the cartridge NTSC compatible? Meaning, did it function properly when inserted
into a factory stock USA 2600 console connected to a 70s/80s era USA television set?
(2) Was the game a repeat or a copy or a clone or a rom hack of an already existing
(3) Was there another one available? Meaning, at the time, had another person been
(4) Did you need to have a passport to get it? In other words, did you leave the
country and buy it elsewhere and/or did you have it brought in from outside the USA?

So it doesn’t matter whatsoever wether it’s some simple 2kb pong game programmed by a teenager or some highly advanced 64kb DPC Pitfall III programmed by David Crane himself, ANY game that is made today and forever forward, is merely a Homebrew.

So Ghostbusters 2, acid drop, pick n pile etc are not official releases just because Europe got them in the early 90s but NTSC zones didn't? 

• Like 1

Collecting is an hobby that serves no other purpose than satisfy your own interest. Each collector decides his own criteria of inclusion and is free to change them over time. Why would anyone need an "official list" is beyond me.
There are as many official lists as the number of collectors out there.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I'm hoping these games aren't going to be super similar.  On a surface level they do.

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

My thoughts exactly, but I strongly doubt that they would harm their reputation that way.

Activision programmers would never do that.

(*cough* Sky Jinks/Skiing *cough*)

Totally kidding. Skiing goes down. Sky Jinks goes up. ;)

In all seriousness, I think it's cool they're getting back into programming games for the 2600, and I hope they have fun with it.

More to the point - I hope the games are fun, too. That's the most important aspect of any game to me. Not who programmed it, or how collectible it is, or how good it looks on a shelf, or how amazing the graphics are. It has to play great, and be something I want to go back to repeatedly.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

More to the point - I hope the games are fun, too. That's the most important aspect of any game to me. Not who programmed it, or how collectible it is, or how good it looks on a shelf, or how amazing the graphics are. It has to play great, and be something I want to go back to repeatedly.

/signed

But customers also fall for names. Just look which is the best selling Atari 2600 homebrew game. It is a good game, no doubt about that. But there are better ones.

Therefore I am pretty sure they will sell a LOT of copies (most likely more than any other homebrew in the store), no matter how good or bad their games turn out to be.

• Like 2

I hope that this game is great game play. I can honestly say, due to what these Gentlemen have done in the past, I will be ordering this day one as a show of support and thanks for all they have brought to the Gaming community.

For me and my collection, I could care less about "Rare" or "Real"... I have these to play.. not to invest and resell in the future.  But, to each their own :)

(I am also the same guy that only buys Pop! figures, I like, and usually the box is trashed and in the garbage a few seconds after my transaction is complete.. lol)

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

/signed

But customers also fall for names. Just look which is the best selling Atari 2600 homebrew game. It is a good game, no doubt about that. But there are better ones.

Therefore I am pretty sure they will sell a LOT of copies (most likely more than any other homebrew in the store), no matter how good or bad their games turn out to be.

Couldn't agree more!

Even if they produced a game like firefly they would probably sell more then other homebrews in the store.

Upmost respect for them and this is just an example. Also i understand the excitement and all that jazz but im sure many would lay down cash before even looking at the gameplay.

Much like how people were throwing money at the Atari VCS before even fully knowing what they were getting. All because it's Atari branded, which kinda paints the picture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alex_79 said:

Collecting is an hobby that serves no other purpose than satisfy your own interest. Each collector decides his own criteria of inclusion and is free to change them over time. Why would anyone need an "official list" is beyond me.
There are as many official lists as the number of collectors out there.

This needs to be added to the official list of why people collect.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Supergun said:

AND
                                        OR

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this thread you reference. Could you tell me who defined those qualifications or link to the aforementioned thread.

12 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I'm hoping these games aren't going to be super similar.  On a surface level they do.  Both feature a guy jumping over animals.  One on a convoy of trucks, one on train cars.

I had the same concern. Initially, Dan Kitchen's Gold Rush was also going to feature a circus convoy and jumping over the same animals (snakes, giraffes). But I hope that, besides the game's renaming to "CASEY’S GOLD", Dan is also replacing the circus theme. And from the recent press release, this seems to be the case:

"Kitchen's game, originally announced in 2018 as GOLD RUSH, features a train conductor named Casey O'Kelly who must search for lost gold bars aboard a runaway western-style steam train.  The game features dozens of unique train cars, numerous animated obstacles and over 50 levels of game play."

Edited by Dionoid

On 3/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, Jstick said:

Umm... I'll be pleased (and impressed) if these guys can compete with the quality and quantity of the Champ Games releases lately (or Darrell, Thomas, etc.).

Obviously I'm not saying they don't have the skills, being the OG devs, but the homebrew scene has advanced quite a bit since the '80s.

But who knows, maybe they've been toiling away for a while on some fancy new tech that will wow us all.

Anyway, this is great news and I'm pretty sure there is room for everyone here, without pushing anyone out of the way :)

I think the OG devs can compete favorably with 32-bit Atari games even if they are using only classic 8-bit hardware -

Programming Television is an artform where the OG devs initially inspired the advanced 32-bit programmers to create their interesting ports.

And those advanced programmers have inspired OG devs to squeeze even more out of their classic 8-bit code with clever programming.

Awesome to see the Atari OG devs writing code again and hope they will join the discussion! :) 

PaperAshtray.jpg