IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

5 minutes ago, mos6507 said:

I also don't think we should conjure up any sort of turf-battle rivalry between the homebrew scene and these guys.

I don't want to rustle any feathers as it really doesn't bother me who classes what in what category. But it's statements like this that makes my ears prick up. What is the difference? Who programmed it or that it's released commercially? Same say it's still homebrew others are saying "these guys" like there is two sides of the fence.

Anyway im glad they're back as i looked up to them over the years and watched all their portland panels in awe like a fan boy too.

@ZeroPage Homebrew I would say he's either referring to Bob Smith who has mentioned many times he is working on an 2600 game or Ed Fries who developed Halo 2600

8 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew I would say he's either referring to Bob Smith who has mentioned many times he is working on an 2600 game or Ed Fries who developed Halo 2600

As far as I can tell Halo 2600 is Ed Fries' first Atari 2600 game and if Bob Smith hasn't released a new game yet then so far no one that made Atari 2600 games back in the day has made a new game, this will be the first!

- James

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Or were they referring to Gold Rush?

https://www.dankitchengames.com/about

DAN KITCHEN'S GOLD RUSH!™, is based upon a game he originally started at Activision in 1983 which was intended to be a sequel to his brother Garry's smash hit, KEYSTONE KAPERS™.

12 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

As far as I can tell Halo 2600 is Ed Fries' first Atari 2600 game and if Bob Smith hasn't released a new game yet then so far no one that made Atari 2600 games back in the day has made a new game, this will be the first!

- James

It is his first and only 2600 title but there could be confusion due to the hype of being a MS employee. Yes Bob had mentioned it a few times in the past

1 hour ago, mos6507 said:

That being said, it saddens me to read some of the reactions.  There's more effort being spent speculating how the DRM is going to work and how one might go about breaking it than any sense of appreciation or respect.

We hadn't really seen anything tangible besides a few bits of tech info until that video posted 4 hours ago, so tech specs were all anyone could speculate on.

In the days of overpromised and underdelivered crowdfunding campaigns, many people are wary of big promises from resurrected superstar devs (e.g. Keiji Inafune, Chris Roberts, Peter Molyneux, et al.).

Based on the video just posted however, it appears Audacity are off to a great start, so I expect you will see more appreciation and respect for this venture going forward.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

...yes, that's the Gold Rush I am referring to...

I'm not sure where I got the idea that Circus Convoy was an old unreleased game, I don't see anything in this thread or the other one...I think maybe it was this post and my brain misinterpreted it:

The brand new, never before released game CIRCUS CONVOY™, designed for the Atari® 2600™ by David Crane and Garry Kitchen, is a multi-screen action adventure where gamers play as "Andre the Magnificent", a circus strongman tasked with finding a saboteur among the speeding convoy trucks and sideshow trailers of a traveling Big-Top circus.

Edited by Asaki

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Interesting! Do you have the name(s) of old school programmers that have released new games? I've put out this question before but people could only name programmers who completed old prototypes, but never a full new game.

- James

Wasn't one of the versions of Star Castle created by an old school programmer?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Interesting! Do you have the name(s) of old school programmers that have released new games? I've put out this question before but people could only name programmers who completed old prototypes, but never a full new game.

- James

I assume you mean "Atari 260 old-school". There were other machines :P

I date back to 1985, professionally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I assume you mean "Atari 260 old-school". There were other machines :P

I date back to 1985, professionally.

You're correct, I did mean Atari 2600 old-school. ? Somebody who developed an Atari 2600 game during the original run of the Atari 2600, 1977-1992.

- James

• Like 1

Just found out about this. Pretty amazing news, I've been wishing for something like this for years. 

Couple questions...

Anyone know of an article, perhaps an upcoming one, that tells the details of how all this came together, and maybe discusses the economics underpinning the model? Maybe if this is being backed by investors, if it is a first pitch to Activision Blizzard or Atgames for perhaps a partnership, if perhaps it might be a pitch for companies like Disney or WarnerMedia to promote upcoming content via IP adapted to the 2600 platform (cartridges based on something like Stranger Things or Pixar/Marvel cartoons would be great promotional items, and suppliers of incremental revenue for the media conglomerates)...

I'd also like to know if these games will eventually make their way to retail, or if the non-collector editions will always be around (i.e., produced). I unfortunately cannot buy now because money is tight, but would like to eventually acquire these titles...and not to collect, to play, of course. They do look great. Activision should really commission Crane et al. to make a third Pitfall for the classic platform...

Thanks...(maybe Bill L might have some insight?  And if this has already been answered - couldn't read every post - please link to the relevant section)...

Edited by AAA177

8 hours ago, cvga said:

Thank you!

Interesting how he controls the joystick at the top with just his thumb in the video. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use the controller that way.

It's the only way I can play, even with round knobs.

My thumb is much quicker than my wrist.

8)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AAA177 said:

I'd also like to know if these games will eventually make their way to retail

https://www.audacitygames.com/countdown.html

Designed with innovative state-of-the-art graphics, CIRCUS CONVOY™ will be available on the Audacity Games Web Portal soon and at select retro video game stores after that.

So not at Target, but perhaps at local retro store like Game Over Videogames.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JasperAK said:

EDIOT: I hate how it looks like the train is on a highway instead of train tracks; I think the gold lines are the worst choice here, but otherwise super awesome.

Until you mentioned that, I thought it was a truck convoy on a highway,   yes gold is the wrong choice there,  but also I wonder what else could be done to make it look less like a road and more like a railbed?

12 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

- James

I've been too out of the hobby to answer that.  As far as homebrew vs. OG I do recall one project a while back that had its share of controversy surrounding the exploitive price being asked.  I think there is an awareness that there is a small number of collectors who are willing to pay a large premium for a limited edition item.  You see this in different interests as well ($10K for a repro Hendrix SG or Flying V for instance).  We don't know yet what these new games are going to go for but at least there will be two price tiers.  The smaller the market the harder it is to pull a profit off of the investment of man-hours involved.  Making a 2600 game is barely a blip compared to making a AAA game of course but if they think they can only push a couple hundred carts before saturating the market the math is difficult.  It will be interesting to hear what they say about their motivation.  I'm sure it's not just about the money.

3 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Yep, can see the semi in the screen shots:

oh ok.   Some of the wheel arrangements on the cars in the trailer do look more like rail bogeys than what a truck would have.   I wonder if it started development as a train and got switched to truck?

6 minutes ago, zzip said:

oh ok.   Some of the wheel arrangements on the cars in the trailer do look more like rail bogeys than what a truck would have.   I wonder if it started development as a train and got switched to truck?

That they do - in watching the video I suspect it's due to using mirrored playfield for a lot of the screens, and not having time to make it asynchronous due to all the multi-colored players such as that awesome looking snake graphic.

1182187546_ScreenShot2021-03-11at9_46.50AM(2).thumb.png.d6184a051940d6e456c39240cadf71b2.png

Plus when I hear convoy I always think trucks, never trains :music:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2