IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

4 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Just to back this up; Boulder Dash took about 9 years to complete. There were many periods during that time I was working extra-long hours. I tried a calculation the other day; let's assume I was only working on it 3 months of the year, but when I was working on it, it was pretty full on (which it was). But let's say I only spent 3 hours a night on it, during those 3 months. So how many hours is that?  3 (hours/day) * 7 (days/week) * 4 (weeks/month) * 3 (months/year)  * 9 (years) = 2268 hours. Now I'll say right now those numbers strike me as conservative, because I often worked 6-8 hours after work each and every day, and all day during weekends and holidays -- 16 hour days at least. And certainly for longer than 3 month stretches at a time.  It's quite possible I put 5000 hours into that game, and @Thomas Jentzsch probably at least as much as that, too.

I agree, for the most part, with @batari -- your observation about homebrewer time is way off the mark and can't be left unchallenged.

I know this will be drowned by the "I got one!" posts, or bitching about how "I didn't get one yet this sucks".

Boulder Dash was definitely the game I thought of when that comparison was made. It's definitely possible to say good things about what these guys have produced without comparing unfavorably to the works of the homebrew community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I know this will be drowned by the "I got one!" posts, or bitching about how "I didn't get one yet this sucks".

Don't worry, I'll re-quote your post after the initial rush of orders is over so it doesn't get lost.  (I'm quoting it now so I can more easily find it again later.)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

What browser did you use?  And, what's the URL?  Cuz, it's not working for a bunch of us.

Audacity Games Purchase Page (adgm.us)

Edge, with both Audacity and PayPal already logged it.
I actually screen captured the whole experience expecting to have issues, and it was smooth as silk..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

All of you trying to buy the VIP Edition, if you'd read posts a few pages ago, someone snagged #93. They're probably long-since sold out.

That would explain it.  I don't quite know how they sold out so fast, given the glitchy launch, but I guess there were enough people for whom it worked.  A more descriptive error message would have been nice.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Just to back this up; Boulder Dash took about 9 years to complete. There were many periods during that time I was working extra-long hours. I tried a calculation the other day; let's assume I was only working on it 3 months of the year, but when I was working on it, it was pretty full on (which it was). But let's say I only spent 3 hours a night on it, during those 3 months. So how many hours is that?  3 (hours/day) * 7 (days/week) * 4 (weeks/month) * 3 (months/year)  * 9 (years) = 2268 hours. Now I'll say right now those numbers strike me as conservative, because I often worked 6-8 hours after work each and every day, and all day during weekends and holidays -- 16 hour days at least. And certainly for longer than 3 month stretches at a time.  It's quite possible I put 5000 hours into that game, and @Thomas Jentzsch probably at least as much as that, too.

I agree, for the most part, with @batari -- your observation about homebrewer time is way off the mark and can't be left unchallenged.

No, it won't. I'd much rather support efforts produced by people who have contributed to this community for years. Yes, I tried to buy a copy of "Circus Convoy". I failed. I'll be spending that money on a homebrew from someone on this site instead. :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

That would explain it.  I don't quite know how they sold out so fast, given the glitchy launch, but I guess there were enough people for whom it worked.  A more descriptive error message would have been nice.

Maybe people using crappy Edge by default managed to buy them before Chrome users figured it out.

3 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

Yup... not only that there are homebrewing supplies available in their store.  

Very nice!  Shells, boards, and labels too.  This is the first I've seen of the shell, and it definitely looks just like an Activision-style shell.  I'll be curious to see how it fits in the 7800.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

Yes, and definitely.

I got lucky - I figured out my PC hadn't updated itself for DST this morning and when I checked their page several hours ago I figured out it was just a script that used the host system clock. I made sure to get my computer time updated, refreshed their page and the countdown was correct. At that point, I literally watched the last 10 seconds count down, tapped the button immediately and managed to grab #002006. So there were at least half a dozen Standard Edition orders before me. As a result, I never saw any error messages.

However, given the various issues people ran into a few minutes later, I have to agree with you. A "sold out" message for that VIP Edition would probably have saved a lot of frustration for buyers. Hopefully they will learn from this for their future releases. 

Edited by DrVenkman
typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, King_Salamon said:

Yup... not only that there are homebrewing supplies available in their store.  

Nice!  They will be selling the empty cartridge shells.  Hopefully this will help put an end to the cannibalizing of old games for other homebrew sellers.

• Like 2