IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

...this game seems too "busy" for my tastes in 2600 homebrews anyway...

Is this game really a "homebrew?" It was created by veteran professionals who formed a company to sell their games commercially. ?

It's an Activision game in all but name. Which poses the question: is this the first "official" third-party release in 30 years, or should publishers and developers like AtariAge, Spiceware, and others finally be considered real, legitimate third parties and Audacity is just joining the "new wave" of 2600 development/publishing?

• Like 3

Well any concerns and criticism got shut down with generation cards, site going downhill and how the interview went. I had to unfollow this thread for a couple of days as i found some statements ridiculous. Will be the last time i open my mouth defending the community that's for sure...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atari Dogs said:

How are you guys able to buy it? I still have the page about the server being down.

Clear your browser cache, then go straight to this URL:

https://adgm.us/portal/buy.html?selectedID=1

Click this (non-obvious) link to log-in or create your account:

image.thumb.png.f9e1285063c708d99d15a0b9c1e4882a.png

30 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

Is this game really a "homebrew?" It was created by veteran professionals who formed a company to sell their games commercially. ?

It's an Activision game in all but name. Which poses the question: is this the first "official" third-party release in 30 years, or should publishers and developers like AtariAge, Spiceware, and others finally be considered real, legitimate third parties and Audacity is just joining the "new wave" of 2600 development/publishing?

Homebrew is just a catch all phrase to describe modern games for classic systems, in my mind. It was never meant to be insulting. If the homebrew tag shouldn't be used to describe veteran professional programmers who have a company to make games for sale would Champ Games, for example not be considered homebrews either?

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 3

I think the initial comment made referencing Homebrew versus say, Official, back in the day releases, had nothing to do with any kind of Us Vs. Them mentality,  it was simply asking if people who "only collect Official releases" (i.e. Not US) would change their tune once they saw who was involved...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I think the initial comment made referencing Homebrew versus say, Official, back in the day releases, had nothing to do with any kind of Us Vs. Them mentality,  it was simply asking if people who "only collect Official releases" (i.e. Not US) would change their tune once they saw who was involved...

^...this.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

...your opening Pandora’s Box man...please stop!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Imagine being the type of smoothbrain that refuses all the amazing homebrews because they're "NoT oFfIcIaL!!!!11!"

• Like 1

Just now, DrVenkman said:

Just as much as "Atari" made the amazing* new VCS!

*USER EXPERIENCE MAY DIFFER, THIS STATEMENT CREATES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANYTHING REMOTELY RESEMBLING FUN AND/OR QUALITY.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

*USER EXPERIENCE MAY DIFFER, THIS STATEMENT CREATES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANYTHING REMOTELY RESEMBLING FUN AND/OR QUALITY.

I don't think that game was written in China, so give them some credit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

You just beat me to mentioning that dead horse beating that occurred in the old hot sauce thread.  :-D

• Thanks 1

So at 550+ and possibly slowing, is it safe to say that they will sell about the same or a little more than the best sellers here?

If they sell more or even significantly more over time, where would those sales coming from? What market are they hitting that Atari Age isn't?

I mentioned it in an earlier post that I thought they might be trying to grow the market. Any thoughts on how they may be doing it? Or are they selling to the same crowd but getting more sales because they are rock stars? Does Circus Convoy look like such a superior game to the homebrews we have now to explain greater sales?

I'd really like to know if they can get 1000+ sales, how could they possibly do it? Who are they selling to that Atari Age is not?

I wish them all the best; these questions I think of are not meant to disparage anyone. I just see this as a Sales and Marketing exercise. A little bit of SWOT and Market Analysis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr SQL said:

LOL you can't use yourself as an example because you're an OG like Activision.

Disagree as OG's have been programming longer, that just seems like experience.

There's room for everyone but no one's going to think a modern homebrewer is Activision unless they can code like an OG.

There's a continuum here, you code like an OG and I think some modern homebrewers do too! ? 

Programming is individual; there are many bright programmers improving all the time on AtariAge with so many great development tools and teachers :) 

Whether Andrew is an OG or not is neither here nor there. Andrew and Thomas are perfect examples, actually, and they are not the only ones who can disprove the "time invested" argument.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

Homebrew is just a catch all phrase to describe modern games for classic systems, in my mind. It was never meant to be insulting. If the homebrew tag shouldn't be used to describe veteran professional programmers who have a company to make games for sale would Champ Games, for example not be considered homebrews either?

That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason they shouldn't be considered third-party releases among the likes of games from Imagic, Activision, etc., or that they should be held in different regard or have an asterisk next to them.

It's not about whether "homebrew" is insulting (it's not; didn't say it was), just whether the term really applies--to, say, Champ Games--in the actual sense of the word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassGuitari said:

61TQ0se08CL._SL1000_.jpg

EDIOT: ?

Edited by JasperAK

4 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Time no...money though I’m not sure. If they really are doing multiple runs of 3000+ I would say that far exceeds 10k. Unless they’re putting a finished product together for around 3 bucks each :) Not to mention it sounds like they had molds made? If true, yeah, that alone would far exceed 10k when all said and done. I don’t know if they paid/manufactured everything upfront or not but the comment of not being able to find large enough quantities makes me think they did. Time is another story of course, it’s hard to measure since an hour for one person is different for another... but in terms of production this seems to push past homebrew to small business (hopefully a somewhat profitable one but those are some big quantities to sell) 

That's why I said there were many that are more than $10k. I've personally spent more than twice that on a single project. I have heard of homebrew-related investments of upwards of $35k. The argument was that their investments "far exceeded" that of anything done before.

I have a pretty good idea of how much some of these things cost and I doubt this particular game is the most expensive project to date, much less "far exceeds" that of any other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1