IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

9 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I dunno, they work with all existing shells, new shells from Starwander and our new shells, they are not special enough.

EDIT: Plus, you are allowed to see both sides, also way too homebrew. :P 

Reveal hidden contents

I wouldn't order anything, I can't see the other side of. :ponder:

IMG-9425.jpg

Very nice! Now move those PCBs and let us see your nicely printed 7800 schematics. :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Where do you get support for the idea that their inflation number is off? Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index Calculator, it’s pretty dead-on. In some market segment (education and healthcare, for instance), the calculator is far too low. In others, it’s too high. But as a general comparison of purchasing power it’s accurate. 

Yeah, it's an inflation rate of 2.5% over a 40 year period which isn't a bad representation of general inflation. Seems irrelevant though given we can see the price of new games today and most releases don't cost $107. Inflation on electronics and software tend to be much lower.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, phimseto said:

I will confess that my one disappointment is that the audacity cart isn't shaped like the Activision cart. I feel the same way when AtariAge does something like the upcoming venture game but it isn't like an old Coleco cart. I'm a big fan of that part of it. 

They did show the cart on the ZPH interview and it is an Activision style shell. It just doesn't have the Activision logo embossed on the back for obvious reasons. But aside from that, it looked like an Activision style to me?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

They did show the cart on the ZPH interview and it is an Activision style shell. It just doesn't have the Activision logo embossed on the back for obvious reasons. But aside from that, it looked like an Activision style to me?

This. James shows a close up of the cart ~1:54:13 (YouTube video).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Exactly but if I'm being honest, audacity has a way to go to beat Champ or spiceware for the best homebrew games ?

Champ games & Spiceware are mainly doing ports of well-loved classic games, whereas Audacity seems to be continuing the Activision philosophy of original games tailored to the platform.  Both of these approaches are valid, and in my opinion necessary for keeping the 2600 scene alive.

The Champ / Spiceware stuff is totally fantastic, but I'm also looking forward to seeing more unique AAA games for the 2600.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Here is the direct URL link to the timeline where James shows the actual released carts. It is indeed Activision style.

The cart shell does look like a nice Activision style. Let’s talk about the labels though - will they develop proper Actiplaque in ~15+ years though? That’s the real question for the purists. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

15 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Let’s talk about the labels though - will they develop proper Actiplaque in ~15+ years though? That’s the real question for the purists. 

Ha, they actually did address that in the stream as well... according to Dave, they originally just found someone local who could provide adhesive, there was no thought given to how it might hold up 40 years later.

Edited by Jstick

6 minutes ago, Jstick said:

Ha, they actually did address that in the stream as well... according to Dave, they just found someone local who could provide adhesive, there was no thought given to how it might hold up 40 years later.

Harrrumph! What a bunch of phonies! ACTIPLAQUE OR BUST! ? 

1421A502-00E3-43B2-9C33-C3C512A6A19B.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jstick said:

Not me, I've un-Actiplaqued most of my Activision carts with new labels from pboland :)

So have I!  I kept a few of my best ones intact, but most of my Activision labels looked as if they'd been rubbed down with motor oil, so pboland's labels were very much a change for the better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

So have I!  I kept a few of my best ones intact, but most of my Activision labels looked as if they'd been rubbed down with motor oil, so pboland's labels were very much a change for the better.

Yes, like you I had a few labels that were (strangely) still in good condition... those must've used a bad batch of bad glue :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Here is the direct URL link to the timeline where James shows the actual released carts. It is indeed Activision style.

EDIT: Weird, the video didn't open at hte right time stamp but saw the cart finally. Thanks and very happy about that! (Something I wish the excellent Flappy and Tyre Trax had as well, given they copy the aesthetic, too.) 

Edited by phimseto

4 minutes ago, phimseto said:

I appreciate the link, but unless I miss something, isn't that just a traditional Atari cart with an Activision-esque label? I was talking the ridged sides and the label wrapping around the corner. (Something I wish the excellent Flappy and Tyre Trax had as well, given they copy the aesthetic, too.) 

I'm not sure how you missed it, but James makes a point of pointing out the ridges. It doesn't have the little interlocking tabs or the Activision logo, but otherwise it's an Activision shell.

737736131_ScreenShot2021-03-16at9_00_15AM.thumb.png.35ef31e63b54377739176e21dace8f2c.png

1 hour ago, phimseto said:

EDIT: Weird, the video didn't open at hte right time stamp but saw the cart finally. Thanks and very happy about that! (Something I wish the excellent Flappy and Tyre Trax had as well, given they copy the aesthetic, too.) 

Not sure why because when I click on it from my post it immediately jumps to where James goes to talking about the cartridge and showing it up close etc.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not sure why because when I click on it from my post it immediately jumps to where James goes to talking about the cartridge and showing it up close etc.

worked fine for me...maybe he just has to sign into google chrome, clear his cache and use incognito mode?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Jstick said:

Champ games & Spiceware are mainly doing ports of well-loved classic games, whereas Audacity seems to be continuing the Activision philosophy of original games tailored to the platform.  Both of these approaches are valid, and in my opinion necessary for keeping the 2600 scene alive.

The Champ / Spiceware stuff is totally fantastic, but I'm also looking forward to seeing more unique AAA games for the 2600.

I think I'm biased admittedly as I'm a huge arcade port fanatic over original works but of course some Activision originals are among my favorites. I do look forward to what else audacity comes up with and I may very well get this one eventually but for me personally my retro gaming dollars are earmarked for other games I was already looking forward to like Robotron by Champ

• Like 3

I finally watched (almost) the entire Twitch replay.  I think that this community is really going to benefit from the influx of attention that this creates.  Not just from what appears to be an excellent game, but how about @ZeroPage Homebrew!  I'm in my 40s and am 100% aware of Twitch and your broadcast, but that is probably only the 3rd or 4th Twitch . . . something that I've ever sat through.  Nice job for you guys and thank you for bringing fresh energy into this community.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Harrrumph! What a bunch of phonies! ACTIPLAQUE OR BUST! ? 

1421A502-00E3-43B2-9C33-C3C512A6A19B.jpeg

Somebody asked about this in the stream. Truthfully it was on my mind too and I'm sure several others. They kind of dismissed it like who would ever thought of that? However, I didn't really hear that they showed an old Actiplaque cart to the new label maker and enquired about types of glues that would avoid this. To me that should have been the minimal effort to take. I really hope they took it seriously.