IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

Just now, Mr SQL said:

The idea is everyone can be an artist, I designed a development tool around that idea. I think you're idea is to throw insults at me for labeling the development tool, correct? ;) 

*your

You're welcome.

PS: #Protip - endless streams of barely-coherent non sequiturs don't really advance the conversation about the thread topic. Perhaps start a new one. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, splendidnut said:

Running old DOS 16-bit games on a 386 (32-bit processor), does not magically make those games 32-bit.

So, some of that depends on whether the games/releases use 32-bit instructions or not.  Ex:  Chaotic Grill uses DPC+, but only for the extra RAM accessed via data fetchers and fast-fetch mode.  Outside of that, it's purely running with just 8-bit 6502 code (display kernel AND game logic).

Also, I believe any DPC+ games that utilize ARM code can only utilize the Thumb (16-bit) instructions due to a bug/design flaw.  I believe I heard this has since been corrected with the CDF, CDFJ drivers.   BUT, that would make any DPC+ game only technically 16-bit, if that.  Sorry, that was based on my faulty knowledge...so it's been struck out.

Are we really going to have this discussion AGAIN on how to DIVIDE up the community into little niches of games based on specs?

OR can we ALL agree to enjoy these games that we like for what they are?

I thought I would clarify something. There is no design flaw. In fact CDFJ and DPC+ Custom code can support the full 32-bit-wide ARM instructions on real hardware. Only the 16-bit-wide Thumb (but 32-bit data) instructions are supported in Stella though, so nobody uses them. That is nobody uses them on purpose - there have been cases on accidental use of the ARM instructions, leading to the game working on real hardware but not Stella. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Insult?  What insult?   Aren't we just joking around?  Or do I need to apologize for hurting your feelings?

11 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

I think Mr SQL is broken.  He's not making a lot of sense. Could somebody fix him?  :)

Well try responding to Andrew's ideas that way and see how the professor reacts :) 

You don't have to apologize, but I think it's far more interesting to talk about the concept of an IDE with a programming mode that lets anyone be an artist and a programmer, and about what kind of dev kit the Activision OG's may be using.  

So... back to something slightly less tangential about Circus Convoy.

If they've sold approx 700 of them so far, how long do we think it'll take to ship?  I thought I read somewhere that there was intention to ship on Mar 22, but I can't find that now.  But, if they have to put together 700 or more of these things, I can see it taking a while.

12 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

If they've sold approx 700 of them so far, how long do we think it'll take to ship?  I thought I read somewhere that there was intention to ship on Mar 22, but I can't find that now.  But, if they have to put together 700 or more of these things, I can see it taking a while.

It's only a guess but if they have confidence in themselves and consider themselves pros, then I think they already amassed a set of materials, including potentially programmed carts (just need to make sure the right serial number goes to the right customer.) If so it could be as simple as just packing things up and shipping them out. Presumably they already lined up help to do that order fulfillment so maybe all orders would ship within 2 weeks of March 22nd. Just a guess on my part though.

43 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

PS: #Protip - endless streams of barely-coherent non sequiturs don't really advance the conversation about the thread topic. Perhaps start a new one. 

Just sharing ideas, can you please go onto another thread or complain to @Albert because I'd like to keep discuss them.

I think you must have mistook the technobabble posts for mine, I only talked about abstract tools for artists and programmers and I'm an OG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

So... back to something slightly less tangential about Circus Convoy.

Yes, let's please stick to that topic and if you want to discuss the pros and cons of using modern technology embedded into Atari 2600 cartridges, that subject alone is worthy of its own topic (and of course has been discussed many times before).

And @Andrew Davie, great post above.  :)

..Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2021 at 11:33 PM, Supergun said:

Which btw, that was inaccurate. (Not just the inflation adjustment which was way too high) Rather the $39.99 price point, which was not reached for any 2600 game until at least mid 1983.

Exaggeration and cost of base materials aside, according to this site, $24 in 1983 would be $64.09.  As such the price of the base tier is reasonable, especially when you consider that the prime demographic are us Xers whose buying power is no longer limited to our paper-route money.

Edited by mos6507
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I just purchased the gold Collector's Edition number 444.  I did not bother to add a standard edition to my cart to check what number they are on.

The last reported standard edition was #2362, but that was over a day ago. There will be more sold since then for sure. 

As it stands we are (444-10)+362 = 796 confirmed sales.

25 minutes ago, mos6507 said:

You know I already posted the closest thing to an "official" U.S. inflation calculator that exists, right? In fact, the BLS's tables have been the standard inflation calculators, used by economists and financial planners across broad industry spectra for decades, since well before the internet even existed. Here it is again in case you missed it.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index Inflation Calculator

1 hour ago, Omegamatrix said:

The last reported standard edition was #2362, but that was over a day ago. There will be more sold since then for sure. 

As it stands we are (444-10)+362 = 796 confirmed sales.

I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to purchase one for days now. I just tried again, just now. The site is currently stuck in some crazy psychedelic loop.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Supergun said:

I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to purchase one for days now. I just tried again, just now. The site is currently stuck in some crazy psychedelic loop.

Just curious,  what browser were you using?   I couldn't get anywhere with Firefox, which pissed me off,  but I tried Chrome and it worked just fine...

So,...I just checked again and it looks like Firefox works now...Weird!

I normally just use the windows standard internet explorer. But I’ve tried lots of different things over the past few days, nothing worked.

It hasn’t been a priority for me because from day one I had already decided that I was going to buy the regular and least expensive option. And since I knew those are “unlimited”, I wasn’t concerned about time.

But now I am starting to get worried because I’d like for my cart to ship out at the same time as everyone else and that March 22nd deadline is getting closer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supergun said:

I normally just use the windows standard internet explorer. But I’ve tried lots of different things over the past few days, nothing worked.

It hasn’t been a priority for me because from day one I had already decided that I was going to buy the regular and least expensive option. And since I knew those are “unlimited”, I wasn’t concerned about time.

But now I am starting to get worried because I’d like for my cart to ship out at the same time as everyone else and that March 22nd deadline is getting closer.

You might try it one more time right now...I just checked and I was able to sign into my account (the one that never even sent a confirmation email) and it looked to me like the site was working and I probably could have even ordered a copy using Firefox;  I stopped short of placing the order as I've already got one coming...

While watching the ZPH show, I noticed a couple of times that the back wheel of the left truck showed some corrupted graphics.

Could this be a glitch that only happens on an Atari 7800, which I think James used to play this game during the show?

image.thumb.png.c0fbbbd6edc690a50f275560a103007c.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Could this be a glitch that only happens on an Atari 7800, which I think James used to play this game during the show?

I am pretty sure James was using his modded 2600. Which is know to have some timing problems, though this one doesn't look familiar.

17 hours ago, Albert said:

Yes, let's please stick to that topic and if you want to discuss the pros and cons of using modern technology embedded into Atari 2600 cartridges, that subject alone is worthy of its own topic (and of course has been discussed many times before).

And @Andrew Davie, great post above.  :)

..Al

The AtariAge store is broken can you fix it? :) 

Those Activision games keep it real and the OG's aren't out to capitalize on the retro scene with games that aren't accepted by SillyVenture:

The SillyVenture Art show would welcome the Activision OG's modular approach, though they would not be able to fit as many scenarios.