IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

James, please put the video back online.

You have a great channel, did a perfect job interviewing the three programmers and there's no need to be stressed about reactions on your excellent videos.

Quoting Clint Eastwood: opinions are like assholes; everybody has one.

Don't let that take down your work.

8)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How would that be relevant for you at all? If you do not want your fun to be spoiled, do not watch the video. It is really that simple.

I didn't dive into it in my post, but the existence of a completionist video so soon after release would suggest that the Designers didn't make the game as complex as they claimed.  Since the game was designed kind of in a vacuum (unlike publicly posted homebrews that typically have community feedback), the only info I have is from what other people play/post.  Sure, I can just shut out any Circus Convoy references and wait and see for myself when my copy arrives, but this thread has been all about sharing excitement and/or concerns.  I've experienced both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Propane13 said:

I didn't dive into it in my post, but the existence of a completionist video so soon after release would suggest that the Designers didn't make the game as complex as they claimed.

Maybe you missed it, but James owns the game for many, many months now. 

I agree with the others - put the video back up! We're all supposed to be adults here. If someone ignores spoiler warnings or can tell from the title of the video that it's going to spoil them and still chooses to watch, that's on them. Despite the pervasiveness of information and the era of 24/7 instant satisfaction, somehow I managed to remain spoiler-free through over 10 years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as each movie came out, and the same for all the recent-era Star Wars films, etc. My wife and I typically don't see any new blockbuster movie for at least a couple weeks, if only to avoid crowds (she is claustrophobic), My secret? Learning to scroll past the info I didn't want to see. Magic concept, huh? :) 

Anyway, I know I will personally never get anything close to earning everything there is to earn in the game - that's not my style or personality, and frankly my reflexes and level of patience/dedication are much lower than they were 35 years ago. Nonetheless, I'll still avoid spoilers and hints for the game for at least a few months to give it a decent shot. 

But that is ME - if someone else wants to see the hidden stuff, find all the secrets and see all the tricks, more power to them. For those people, video playthroughs are ideal. Heck, I might watch one myself eventually, even if I don't right away.

• Like 6

The old Spoilers gang cornered me on the street and made me watch the whole playthrough video against my will.  They finally let me go and said "Have fun when you finally receive your spoiled copy of the game, loser.  You just got spoiled, b****!"

That last part is the gang's catch phrase.

I think this makes me the only true victim of the video.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OMG. Quit whining! If you don't want to see a play through, DON'T CLICK ON IT!!!

I LOVED James livestream. I can't wait to see his play through. I'm a grumpy old guy and don't really care for puzzles. I just like the adventure of doing it and seeing all the visuals. I actually programmed in the early 80's so I totally appreciate what guys like David and Dan did, then and now. I was totally excited to play the Pitfalls again when I found spoilers and walk throughs. PLEASE put it back up :) :) :)

I can't wait for my Collector Edition to ship so I can download and play along.

James, PLEASE put it back up :) :) :)  (or at least invite me for the private version;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

James you have THE definitive 2600 based YouTube channel. Your videos bring everyone here a lot of joy and valuable information. Please don't ever let a select few negative folks bring you down. I look forward to your videos weekly and you are one of the very few retro gaming channels I still watch regularly. You have found a fantastic niche in this hobby and your passion and professionalism shine through. 

Don't stop being you my friend

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

James, sorry people are getting needlessly upset - you bring a heck of a lot to our little retro community.

If you are concerned about "spoilers" - perhaps re-upload the video in a week or two?  I'm sure by then there will be several roughly shot youtube videos of people playing Circus Convoy but none will have the amount of polish and enthusiasm your videos do.  There has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, littaum said:

James, sorry people are getting needlessly upset - you bring a heck of a lot to our little retro community.

If you are concerned about "spoilers" - perhaps re-upload the video in a week or two?  I'm sure by then there will be several roughly shot youtube videos of people playing Circus Convoy but none will have the amount of polish and enthusiasm your videos do.  There has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers. 

Agreed. Don't pitch the video, please.   I think it would be cool to post an edited & shortened "preview" version of that video now (only show a few highlights for now) and then release the entire video in a week or two as suggested above!  Either way its up to you of course, and thanks again for all the work and content you've provided. 

• Thanks 1

@ZeroPage Homebrew I know how nasty some of these comments can be, with their misrepresentation/misinterpretation of your intentions and views. You're a creator, and as such you should do what you feel is right for you and -- damn the critics. If you position your show as something that tries to make everyone happy, then you're going to fail and the show will be the worse for it anyway. I do appreciate the fairness with which you review even the most basic games - and that's great for the community. Anything we can do to encourage more home-brewers is fantastic. Obviously the show has had a lot to do with the vibrancy of the community in the last year or two. Although I may not agree with all your views ("gatekeepers") :) or some of the reviews, I do think you should just keep being you and bring to us whatever sits with your vision of what you want the show to be. Don't be like me and let the community get to you and destroy (for years) the passion you have for the '2600. Keep reviewing games. I don't tune in all that often, but when I do it's like spending some time with a kindred spirit. I do miss having Aerlan on the show, btw. His forthright honesty and openness is somewhat refreshing. I hope someday to have a new version of Chess for him to review.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

I do miss having Aerlan on the show, btw. His forthright honesty and openness is somewhat refreshing. I hope someday to have a new version of Chess for him to review.

I miss Aerlan as well - he's still so new to the 2600 that everything is exciting to him. Plus, I miss his philosophical nuggets of wisdom that pepper his language. :) 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, Zonie said:

If it were not for the "Homebrewers" doing the great stuff they do, and have been giving us for over 10-20 years, the "old school guys" probably wouldn't even consider releasing new games. It's pretty sad that some folks here don't even consider the new games "professional." Hell, They rock. Batari, PacManPlus, Jentz, et all are the real thing and those of you who think they are not just need to sort yourselves out...Albert has really put a release program together that works. It's real folks. The games are real. The people are real. The products are great.

My two cents.

I'm still trying to catch up with this thread,  but I have to agree with this.  The games released from the Atari Age Store are most certainly "professional".  The production quality meets, and most of the time exceeds that of anything released back in the day.  And as for the homebrew analogy - when I think of a game that was produced by one person at home.  I'm think Edtris here,  recycled carts,  homemade dot matrix labels and manuals.  True there are varying levels of craftsmanship, and the average production quality has tended to improve as better technology became cheaper, but the same concept applies.  But Atari Age is more like a brew pub. Great professional quality products produced on a small scale.  In any case, just like beer,  just because it's a homebrew, it says nothing about the quality of the game.  A homebrew can be awesome,  but a mass produced "professional" game can be crap.

• Like 4