IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

13 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Of course. However, I’m assuming that he would want to keep it, in which case, he would have to pay for it.  That should go without needing to actually be said.  

I'm sure the guys at Audacity don't care and wouldn't want to put him through the trouble of returning it.  It's a silly mistake and it's more interesting of a story because it is game #2222.  They'd probably agree to have BassGuitari keep it sealed as a conversation piece.

On 3/17/2021 at 6:50 AM, Andrew Davie said:

Last time I commented on this I got some fundamentals wrong. So I hope my factual errors below are corrected quickly by anyone who knows better.

My view on this is that the ARM co-processor, if you want to call it that, is mostly tightly coupled to servicing the address bus and making sure the data bus contains the correct data based on what the address bus is "looking at".  In current implementations, this is performed in a tight loop on the ARM that doesn't really leave a lot of cycles to do anything else. There's some room - not a lot. You don't benefit here from any extra ARM'ness.

But separate to that is the bankswitching scheme actually being used; and CDFJ (which I now have had minimal experience with) provides some "assists" to the 6507 via "data streams" which effectively feed data onto the data bus that is accessible via the quickest-possible 6502 addressing mode (lda #) which takes 2 cycles. It opens up methods for writing TIA registers (via lda/sta pairs) which are able to move "larger" amounts of data more quickly to the TIA without requiring indexed or indirect addressing modes. Typically, in 5 cycles (lda #/sta) instead of worst-case 10 cycles (lda (zp),y/iny/sta). These streams, as I think of them, are useful for writing sprite and playfield data, for example, and somewhat transmogrify kernel writing. You get to do more stuff on a scanline, for instance, than you could dynamically do in other bankswitching schemes. They can remove the need for managing indexes, and mitigate issues of accessing blocks of data in accessible banks. But "assist" it's not something that hasn't been done before (DPC, for example).
In my use-case (where I tried a ChronoColour(TM) Chessboard display engine), I was able to use an idle part of the screen (the 6507 was in the vertical blank and thus not needing to service the address/data bus) to draw an entire screen of data in about 22 scanlines (which were all blank anyway).  When you use the ARM like this, it is no longer servicing the address bus, so the 6507 still goes about its stuff -- fetching an instruction, executing it, moving on to the next address while the ARM is busy doing your "super stuff". If you're not servicing the bus via the ARM (in that tight loop) then the 6507 gets whatever data is already on the bus, and treats that as an instruction. So, the trick (so far) seems to be to put a "nop" on the data bus, so that the 6507 will execute a (long) sequence of NOP instructions while the data bus is not being serviced by the ARM, meanwhile incrementing the PC counter while it's doing so. And you hope that it doesn't wander into an area where the address points to hardware on the '2600 itself (i.e., TIA, PIA, RIOT) which could/would change the data bus and thus ruin that EA (NOP) on the bus for the idle time. It's a glorious hack, but works.  When you've finished your ARM subroutine, then you "hook back in" to the bus-servicing phase, gently redirect the 6507 back to "normal operations" and continue on your merry way.

In this way you can get the full power of the ARM to work on something processor-intensive - albeit for a short number of scanlines. And your 6507 is (effectively) blinded, so it does not really do anything of significance while your ARM code is running. It's clever, but very limited in how much time you have available. I had enough to draw an entire playfield chessboard, as I noted, every single frame. I was able, for example, to go from drawing one square per frame (6507 version) to 64 squares (the entire board) every frame. This in turn allowed me to change and simplify the data format of the pieces, and the logic needed to draw them, which in turn improved the speed. But this doesn't mean that the ARM version is 64 times quicker; it just means that using the ARM this way allowed me to modify the way the system worked, and get consequent improvements in speed. Used like this, the whole thing is like a toggle - 6507 *or* ARM, not both. But again, the 6507 must either be running code from RAM (and not accessing addresses requiring the ARM's support) or in that NOP idle state for this to work.

I think the recent ARM-based games are remarkable. They show just what the TIA can do. There is still considerable skill required to make something that works - yet alone something that looks good. For example, many of the ARM games use sophisticated sprite multiplexing algorithms/engines to get HEAPS of stuff on the screen at the same time. It requires skill to program. Comparing these things is what I so dislike about where we're at now. A 4K game has its own unique challenges, and limitations. An ARM-supported CDFJ game has its own unique challenges. It is possible to produce fantastic games with either. But comparing one to the other and saying one is the "best" is basically misunderstanding (in my view, at least - and I've been bitten by my views on this) the very nature of what they are. You can do a lot more (dynamically) with an ARM bankswitch scheme such as CDFJ than you can with plain 4K. You can do a lot more with a non-ARM bankswitch scheme such as 3E+ than you can with plain 4K, too. Comparing them is pointless and in my world "unfair" to the developers. I refuse to be a part of it.
I am against any sort of push to label games with some sort of "32-bit" or "unassisted" or whatever. They are all '2600 games and all require skill to develop. If any good has come out of this whole Audacity thing, it is perhaps that good game design seems to be more the discussion point than the bankswitching scheme used. Even so, we're still seeing ridiculous comments with people still insisting on using terms like "best game ever", "best graphics", "best Atari programmers", etc. I think most people aren't going to be aware or care about any of this.
Anyone who finishes a game no matter what the medium (from bBasic to ARM-based) is a winner in my book. I consider programming a game an artistic endeavour, more than a technical one. To me, categorising and claiming one is the "best game", for example, is like comparing two great artists to decide who was the "best".  Do you try to level the playfield when making that judgement by deciding who had the better quality canvas, paints and paintbrushes? No. There's just no way to compare; they are both great artists who must be evaluated in their own context.
Unfortunately, some great artists never sell a painting in their entire lifetime - and some get rich selling stuff based on who they are.

Holy bajesus!  Well said!  Makes my frigging head spin thinking about it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mgas said:

But wouldn't the honest thing to do be to send it back?

That would be cool, right?

It would be.

However US law says if you get sent something, it's yours, even if by mistake.  It is considered a gift.

Circuit City sent me a second fat PS3 back in the day.  That was nice of them.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My parents taught me about doing the 'right thing' more than they taught me all the US laws. In this case, it seems clear to me that the right thing its to send it back or at least contact them and see what they want done.

But different strokes for different folks....

Looking forward to Collector 400ish shipping notice.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, BassGuitari said:

So Audacity actually sent me a second copy. ? Same order number and serial number! ?‍♂️

18 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

It's just gonna stay sealed, I guess. ?‍♂️ Doesn't make sense to sell it, or for anyone else to buy it since it's tied to my account. Anything anyone else would do with it score/patchwise would be credited or sent to me.

But I guess I have the only sealed duplicate Circus Convoy #2222 in existence, so that's cool, right? ?‍♂️?

NOT COOL!!! NOT COOL!!!

I AM CONTACTING YOU FROM THE FUTURE. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS ADVICE IMMEDIATELY!!

DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT LET THESE TWO COPIES TOUCH EACH OTHER!!

Pauli exclusion principle which, really simply put, said no two particles can occupy the same time and space

THE EFFECTS OF THESE TWO GAMES TOUCHING EACH OTHER HAS CAUSED DISASTROUS CONSEQUENCES IN THE FUTURE

- A RIP IN THE FABRIC OF SPACE TIME

- DISTORTIONS OF THE SPACE TIME CONTINUUM

- THE TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF THE FUTURE...AND EVERYTHING...AS WE KNOW IT!!

PLEASE HEED FUTURE CRAZY CLIMBERS ADVICE AND DESTROY THIS EXTRA COPY BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!

I AM ONLY ABLE TO CONTACT YOU BECAUSE OF THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE HAVING NO STRUCTURE OR MEANING AFTER THE INCIDENT (THESE TWO GAMES TOUCHING EACH OTHER) SCIENTISTS SAY WE HAVE JUST MERE HOURS LEFT BEFORE TOTAL DESTRUCTION!!!

HELP US BASS GUITARI...YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

NOT COOL!!! NOT COOL!!!

I AM CONTACTING YOU FROM THE FUTURE. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS ADVICE IMMEDIATELY!!

DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT LET THESE TWO COPIES TOUCH EACH OTHER!!

Pauli exclusion principle which, really simply put, said no two particles can occupy the same time and space

THE EFFECTS OF THESE TWO GAMES TOUCHING EACH OTHER HAS CAUSED DISASTROUS CONSEQUENCES IN THE FUTURE

- A RIP IN THE FABRIC OF SPACE TIME

- DISTORTIONS OF THE SPACE TIME CONTINUUM

- THE TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF THE FUTURE...AND EVERYTHING...AS WE KNOW IT!!

PLEASE HEED FUTURE CRAZY CLIMBERS ADVICE AND DESTROY THIS EXTRA COPY BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!

I AM ONLY ABLE TO CONTACT YOU BECAUSE OF THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE HAVING NO STRUCTURE OR MEANING AFTER THE INCIDENT (THESE TWO GAMES TOUCHING EACH OTHER) SCIENTISTS SAY WE HAVE JUST MERE HOURS LEFT BEFORE TOTAL DESTRUCTION!!!

What the hell? Did someone hack my account? I didn't write this nonsense...like this could even be true. You should touch the games together for fun now ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, Crazy Climber said:

What the hell? Did someone hack my account? I didn't write this nonsense...like this could even be true. You should touch the games together for fun now ;)

NO DAMMIT!! DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!! NOW WE KNOW HOW IT STARTED!! IT WAS ME!! WELL, STUPID PAST ME, NOT FUTURE ME, WAIT...WHATEVER...JUST DON'T TOUCH THE DAMN GAMES TOGETHER!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, thanatos said:

It would be.

However US law says if you get sent something, it's yours, even if by mistake.  It is considered a gift.

Circuit City sent me a second fat PS3 back in the day.  That was nice of them.  :D

I've had this happen a few times in my life and all but once I was told to just keep it because it wasn't worth the trouble and expense of sending it back.  The one time I was told to send it back, they want me to do it at my expense.  As it was a $10 cable and shipping it back would have cost almost $7 I told them there was no way I was going to do that so they eventually sent me a pre-paid return label.  No idea why they wanted that $10 cable back so bad.  It's not like it was a small company or anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, video*game*source said:

Yeah, I got my copies today: VIP #61 and CE #126. But... No patch with the letter included. Anyone else didn't receive a patch with such low serial numbers? It was mentioned on the web page the first 250 buyers will receive one!?

Right after you ordered the game, did you receive an email with subject "Confirmation of your purchase from Audacity Games"? On that invoice, can you check if there is a line saying "THANK YOU PATCH"?

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, video*game*source said:

Yeah, I got my copies today: VIP #61 and CE #126. But... No patch with the letter included. Anyone else didn't receive a patch with such low serial numbers? It was mentioned on the web page the first 250 buyers will receive one!?

I believe that there were only 250 thank you patches in total regardless of what edition of the game was sold.  So, only the first 250 games of all editions sold would have got the patch.  I bought SE #2153 and didn't get the patch either.

3 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I believe that there were only 250 thank you patches in total regardless of what edition of the game was sold.  So, only the first 250 games of all editions sold would have got the patch.  I bought SE #2153 and didn't get the patch either.

I think it was limited to the first 250 buyers.  I bought 2 games but only received 1 patch.  Both of my numbers are very low and I am sure within the first 250 purchased.  I had them shipped together.  Maybe if I purchased separate I would have received a second patch. 

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

Right after you ordered the game, did you receive an email with subject "Confirmation of your purchase from Audacity Games"? On that invoice, can you check if there is a line saying "THANK YOU PATCH"?

Yes please check this. If it doesn't say that then the only way I think that makes sense and you were able to get VIP #61 and not the patch is if you added VIP to your cart early, waited awhile, and then completed checkout before any order timeout.

• Like 1

Got my regular copy yesterday. Only had about 10 minutes or to try it and make sure everything worked though. Hopefully I'll get some more time to play tonight.

It's a good game so far and I'm really happy with it. I obviously haven't gotten far and the gator part is harder than I thought it would be. I never really had too much of a problem with them in regular Pitfall. I guess I'm probably just really rusty. :)

A bummer, but not surprising with the website issues, is that the high score stuff doesn't work on mobile with Firefox. The in-browser camera portion of the 2nd QR code never automatically takes the picture. Worked fine on Chrome though.

Packaging and cart are all good quality. It's cool to see a brand new cart. The label on the cart was glossier than I was expecting (not a bad thing, just unexpected)

5 minutes ago, slacker said:

Got my regular copy yesterday. Only had about 10 minutes or to try it and make sure everything worked though. Hopefully I'll get some more time to play tonight.

It's a good game so far and I'm really happy with it. I obviously haven't gotten far and the gator part is harder than I thought it would be. I never really had too much of a problem with them in regular Pitfall. I guess I'm probably just really rusty. :)

A bummer, but not surprising with the website issues, is that the high score stuff doesn't work on mobile with Firefox. The in-browser camera portion of the 2nd QR code never automatically takes the picture. Worked fine on Chrome though.

Packaging and cart are all good quality. It's cool to see a brand new cart. The label on the cart was glossier than I was expecting (not a bad thing, just unexpected)

I can't get the QR code to register at all. I'm wondering if it's because my TV is started to fail and has a slightly bowed image... (upper left side of big TV)

2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2021 at 5:27 AM, Dionoid said:

When adding a new standard edition and collector edition to my shopping cart on AudacityGames, I get #002346 (Std. edition) and #000390 (Coll. edition).

So I think that means 389-10+345 = 724 confirmed sales as of now.

Something definately is off with the way Audacity is assigning the serial numbers. As you can see in the attached screen shot, I ordered my copy 2 days ago on 4/4, receiving #310 and the special limited edition thank you patch.....

Hmmmm....

Screenshot_20210406-132806_Gmail.jpg

39 minutes ago, slacker said:

I obviously haven't gotten far and the gator part is harder than I thought it would be. I never really had too much of a problem with them in regular Pitfall. I guess I'm probably just really rusty. :)

That part feels different than Pitfall to me, I don't know how to describe it. It's almost like it would be harder to walk into the gator's mouth from the eyes.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, BassGuitari said:

So Audacity actually sent me a second copy. ? Same order number and serial number! ?‍♂️

22 hours ago, mgas said:

But wouldn't the honest thing to do be to send it back?

That would be cool, right?

21 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Of course. However, I’m assuming that he would want to keep it, in which case, he would have to pay for it.  That should go without needing to actually be said.  

I did reach out to Audacity regarding this whole thing, indicating that I would like to keep it if possible and will gladly pay for it if they want to invoice me, or that I can return it if they need it back. Just waiting to hear back to see what they want to do. ?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Yikes, I've never had to save the universe before! ? How will I handle the pressure?.........

5 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

NO DAMMIT!! DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!! NOW WE KNOW HOW IT STARTED!! IT WAS ME!! WELL, STUPID PAST ME, NOT FUTURE ME, WAIT...WHATEVER...JUST DON'T TOUCH THE DAMN GAMES TOGETHER!!

........."I'm not touching you...I'm not touching you...I'm not touching you..."

63915420273__F1BFDED4-1B7D-49EB-8E73-C34D397B0C19.thumb.jpg.2eccb7ee15d75dda737077f8659a7bdc.jpg

?

• Haha 8

46 minutes ago, widowsson said:

Something definately is off with the way Audacity is assigning the serial numbers. As you can see in the attached screen shot, I ordered my copy 2 days ago on 4/4, receiving #310 and the special limited edition thank you patch.....

Hmmmm....

Screenshot_20210406-132806_Gmail.jpg

I ordered #320 on 3/14, and received the download copy but have NOT received the physical copy or a shipping notice yet. It seems safe to assume that serial numbers are not a reliable indicator of sales.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

I can't get the QR code to register at all. I'm wondering if it's because my TV is started to fail and has a slightly bowed image... (upper left side of big TV)

2.jpg

holy guacamole your room dude. i don't suppose you could try it on another tv? hahaha. but good luck man.

Edited by fakecortex
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Even with Chrome, it seemed to be picky when trying to get a picture. The room I have everything set up in has windows on 3 of the walls and the small glare from the sun was throwing it off until I closed the blinds completely.

1 hour ago, ferghead said:

That part feels different than Pitfall to me, I don't know how to describe it. It's almost like it would be harder to walk into the gator's mouth from the eyes.

Yeah, there's definitely something different in how it's done in this game. I remember David Crane saying something along the lines of saying it was "easier" than Pitfall because the player sort of got "stickied" to the alligator's head or something during the ZPH stream. I found that sometimes it allows you to walk farther on the gator's head than I would expect, but it doesn't seem consistent whereas Pitfall is always the same safe space over the eyes.

57 minutes ago, bfstats said:

I ordered #320 on 3/14, and received the download copy but have NOT received the physical copy or a shipping notice yet. It seems safe to assume that serial numbers are not a reliable indicator of sales.

There's definitely some mismatching going on at least with the invoice number. My invoice number is lower than widowsson (regular release #2320 with invoice #1945) which if they were sequential, mine would be before theirs and therefore I'd be eligible for a patch based solely on invoice # but it wasn't.

• Like 1