IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

2 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

Considering my box has come unglued and my cart label has a bunch of big bumps under it, I wouldn't expect that from a "company". I would have to say I would rather it be a "homebrew" from the AA store as far as quality and I am not kidding ?

And thus began the plague of "audaciBump", right up there with "actiPlaque".

• Haha 2

Just an aside, though. I would like to think there's room for everyone in the community. If their product isn't quite so good as expected -- well the expectations were certainly very very high, weren't they. If the product is not quite up to those expectations, just remember that if/when making future decisions as to from whom you buy your next game. A couple of bugs sneaking through, and issues with boxes and labels are unfortunate and don't happen generally with AA because of the literally years of experience and the community contribution to quality. But hey, they've had a go, and actually got product out the door - and kudos for that. Their game sold possibly approaching a couple of thousand units on the reputation of the programmers/company alone, and that's got to be good for the community. I don't particularly love the way Audacity is distanced from our community, basically lurking here for at least 5 years without any interaction at all and possibly benefiting from the sharing of code, tools and techniques that happens here. But I do like that they felt motivated enough to have a go at releasing product on the '2600. I'd like to see us support everyone who writes games, and likewise I'd like everyone who writes games to participate in the homebrew community. "Professional" aspirations or not, CC is quite the achievement.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

BTW: I do not think that this is a PAL-only bug. I suppose it's just that certain PAL-Jrs exhibit the bug.

And the way they handle PAL customers fits into Activision's tradition of lousy PAL conversions (no speed adjustments and no extra display utilization). :) 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Well, thank heavens they don't consider themselves Homebrewers then! I don't think we could afford that sort of damage to our reputation.

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Just like some major companies do too. Fits! :evil: 

Mmm.. IIRC every homebrewer I called out a bug for seemed to have addressed the problem in some manner. Always thought that a good and unique thing compared to companies which typically ignore such things.

• Like 2

"Thank you to those who reported the issue, and the speculation is correct. Even with 2000 hours of Beta Testing, we missed a frame rate anomaly on the Duck Shoot game.  (In our testers' defense, it has an insignificant effect on NTSC and only really shows up on PAL.  And even then only on real hardware - the color effect does not show up on emulation.)"

Which illustrates why Emulation is the superior way to play! leaving.gif.53b405d5dbadd2d6535d73258c671b66.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, D Train said:

I will always have a soft spot for laser blast.

My baggy old gramma was excited by Laser Blast. Made a big stink of a "new company" making new cartridges for the VCS. Like, how was that even possible, was the attitude. Some sort of miracle or something. It was practically newsworthy even!

8 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I don't particularly love the way Audacity is distanced from our community, basically lurking here for at least 5 years without any interaction at all and possibly benefiting from the sharing of code, tools and techniques that happens here.

They are experienced and only using legacy techniques so they did not lurk here to learn new programming methods.

What I actually see on AA are programmers going through their old code and dissembling it, to learn from them which benefits everyone. 

AA is further enhanced by Audacity drawing more mainstream attention, so why not be inspired by their products genuine authenticity and refreshing sales figures? 

Maybe one day the Activision superstars will allow AA to carry their new dream ware, in an elite section of the store.    

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Mr SQL said:

Maybe one day the Activision superstars will allow AA to carry their new dream ware, in an elite section of the store. 

Considering that I've enjoyed most of the games I've bought from AA more than Circus Convoy, maybe Audacity should consider selling AA titles in an "elite" section of their store.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am sure you say stuff like that to rile up all the people that have you on ignore.  I am not fond of it and I am considering kicking you out of this conversation.

I really feel that way, what did you object to? You seem to be riling folks up to call names again who never wrote games in the 80's like Audacity.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr SQL said:

You seem to be riling folks up to call names again

You do that on your own just fine, with the BS you spew around all the time.  I believe in the Spaghetti monster and I really feel that way.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mr SQL said:

I really feel that way, what did you object to? You seem to be riling folks up to call names again who never wrote games in the 80's like Audacity.

Your obvious trolling.

And I am not exactly sure what you think you are going to achieve by reporting my post, since I am one of the few people who reads them (perhaps click on my profile some time).  I am not bothering you, I am moderating you, I am not going to blame my severe illnesses for it either.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

You do that on your own just fine, with the BS you spew around all the time.  I believe in the Spaghetti monster and I really feel that way.

This looks personal, why not share your opinion on the Activision team? I feel that way because I wrote games in the 80's.  

52 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Considering that I've enjoyed most of the games I've bought from AA more than Circus Convoy, maybe Audacity should consider selling AA titles in an "elite" section of their store.

Fair opinion. I'm partial to the Activision team and any of the old programmers coming back to write games again, like Scott did. Activision has ruffled a few feathers with newer programmers and that's unfortunate, they should try to articulate an opinion instead of throwing insults.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr SQL said:

This looks personal

You don't understand the rules, I don't give a rats about you and your opinion.  And you can insult me all day long, I simply do not care.  You are what I call "A disturbance in the force." and I don't like it.

And now we are done. :waving:

EDIT: My first game was released in 85, that doesn't give me the right to constantly insult the intelligence of people like Thomas or Spiceware.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I guess I'm late to the party here. I just got this game and I love it. 

looks like a bunch of people are complaining about it? And there's some kind of drama between Crane/Kitchen and some of the devs here? 

yikes. This is why we can't have nice things. I'm turning this car around right now.

The complaints are about unaddressed bugs, and the fact that some people have gotten no response when emailing the Audacity contact email. There's no real drama going on, but that hasn't stopped some from trying to stir some up, unfortunately.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Karl G said:

The complaints are about unaddressed bugs, and the fact that some people have gotten no response when emailing the Audacity contact email.

The instant gratification culture of the internet has ruined some people's expectations of small company response timing, and personal grievance airing, forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No response is "worse" than a response saying a bug won't be fixed. It is what it is. Best we can hope for is an updated rom and/or reflash of the cart.

As far as the drama between homebrewers and former original developers, I've read many past examples. This is nothing new. It's really everywhere. In every profession.

28 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The instant gratification culture of the internet has ruined some people's expectations of small company response timing, and personal grievance airing, forever.

No. They're selling on the internet. They have a responsibility to operate properly in that medium. And that means 0-day response to questions.