IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

I had a look at the prices hey have on the boards, shells and OTP chips. Good Lord! $20 for a PCB, $10 for a shell, $6 for an OTP Eprom =$36 USD plus tax and shipping for a single cartridge worth of parts. That would be without buying any of their label sheets either. Instantly they have priced themselves out of the market.

EDIT: The game looks cool and is for sure worth $60. The price of their parts though? Absolutely not.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I had a look at the prices hey have on the boards, shells and OTP chips. Good Lord! $20 for a PCB, $10 for a shell, $6 for an OTP Eprom =$36 USD plus tax and shipping for a single cartridge worth of parts. That would be without buying any of their label sheets either. Instantly they have priced themselves out of the market.

I will be adding circuit boards for a variety of systems (2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, ColecoVision) to the AtariAge Store soon (within a few weeks), and the prices will be considerably more reasonable.  Same goes for EPROMs and other parts, and die-cut label sheets for a variety of systems.  Was already planning on doing this (we've sold boards in the store in the past), and just received a LARGE order of PCBs last week.  Will do the same with our new 2600/7800 shells after I receive the first production run. 

..Al

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Albert said:

I will be adding circuit boards for a variety of systems (2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, ColecoVision) to the AtariAge Store soon (within a few weeks), and the prices will be considerably more reasonable.  Same goes for EPROMs and other parts, and die-cut label sheets for a variety of systems.  Was already planning on doing this (we've sold boards in the store in the past), and just received a LARGE order of PCBs last week.  Will do the same with our new 2600/7800 shells after I receive the first production run. 

..Al

Was kinda hoping you would chime in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

..Al

But - are these just for shitty generic "homebrew" junk, or can serious professional ROMs be used with them :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I have about 200 SuperCart PCB's, I can send to Al, if anyone wants to tinker around with 128K/256K Superbanking (first board with this support, btw.) or 128K/256K + SARA. :ponder:

:|

You mean the ones from 8 years ago that can be had thousands at a time? :ponder:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prizrak said:

Penult may likely kick CC's butt emoji6.png That's a hugely ambitious project and amazing to play on the 2600.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't know, at a certain point it's just a damn good game. I could try to find reasons for Draconian to be better than Galagon, or Super Cobra to be better than Space Rocks but I would have to nitpick to do so. A list games I don't bother pitting against each other, it's like making me choose between beer or beer ;)

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Shawn said:

EDIT: The game looks cool and is for sure worth $60. The price of their parts though? Absolutely not.

Woah seriously? Is there a bulk discount or something? Yeah, that's pretty steep... 

7 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Woah seriously? Is there a bulk discount or something? Yeah, that's pretty steep... 

I'm wondering if they did it just to make the $60 game price look good to those who otherwise might think it expensive. I mean it uses 36 bucks in parts so it's really only $24 for the rom right?

48 minutes ago, Albert said:

Doooo it!

I dunno, they work with all existing shells, new shells from Starwander and our new shells, they are not special enough.

EDIT: Plus, you are allowed to see both sides, also way too homebrew. :P 

Spoiler

I wouldn't order anything, I can't see the other side of. :ponder:

IMG-9425.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

I'm wondering if they did it just to make the $60 game price look good to those who otherwise might think it expensive. I mean it uses 36 bucks in parts so it's really only $24 for the rom right?

Well, they also mentioned in the interview video that a 1982 Atari game at $39.99 adjusted for inflation would be $107.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, thanatos said:

Well, they also mentioned in the interview video that a 1982 Atari game at $39.99 adjusted for inflation would be $107.

Which btw, that was inaccurate. (Not just the inflation adjustment which was way too high) Rather the $39.99 price point, which was not reached for any 2600 game until at least mid 1983.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Supergun said:

Which btw, that was inaccurate. (Not just the inflation adjustment which was way too high) Rather the $39.99 price point, which was not reached for any 2600 game until at least mid 1983.

Well I know that Ms. Pac-man when I bought it around '83/'84 cost my folks $40 because after a few stinkers I had them pick up for me previously (Sneak N Peek for instance), they let me know it has better be a good game. Luckily for me and them, Ms Pac was excellent on the 2600!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

On a tangentially related note:  Was BattleSphere for the Jaguar a homebrew?  Although it was planned to be an official release, it came out after Atari died.  The coders were professionals with fulltime day jobs.  But, they worked on the game at home, in the evenings, etc.  From a quality standpoint, the cart shell, box, manual, and even the game was definitely up to par with any of the top official releases.

Very professional release like Activision because of the quality of the game leveraging all three processors. 

8 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Good question. We've never had to run into that situation with a title for the Atari Homebrew Awards yet. I don't immediately have a gut feeling where that would fall since it would have its feet in both camps.

- James

80svideogame.jpg.9dedb29272e2da1a21a63c1b6bb27569.jpg You have because my company The Saint John Gallery became RelationalFramework like Borland became Inprise.

I thought you held up signs throwing personal insults at me reviewing my software as a publicity stunt for the AtariAge homebrew store :) 

3 hours ago, thanatos said:

I do remember them saying that. Though something is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it and I have a hard time imagining people shelling out 10 dollars for a piece of plastic and 20 dollars for a pcb board. Honestly I really have no idea why they bothered to put them up for sale.

14 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

I do remember them saying that. Though something is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it and I have a hard time imagining people shelling out 10 dollars for a piece of plastic and 20 dollars for a pcb board. Honestly I really have no idea why they bothered to put them up for sale.

Cause Mr. Crane states there isn't anywhere else to get brand new shells or pcbs in "production numbers". And those 27c010 he's selling for $6 a pop? You can get 10 of them for $7.50 with free shipping with very little effort or super duper insider elite industry contacts either. Now if Joe Blow can get 10 of them for $7.50 shipped just imagine how cheap they would be if you bought a couple thousand of them? Starwander has 1:1 copies of the Atari 2600 shells he sells for profit at $5.95, so again, a few thousand of them would make the price stupid cheaper. Label sheets? Corey at 8bitclassics has been selling die cut laser and inkjet sheets about $1 each for a decade. Now on to the PCBs... Well you get the idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

As for inflation i think many forget that video games in general sell for a fraction of the price they did BITD. These days people complain about laying down more then $50USD for AAA titles...

Also I suppose hardware production costs should have decreased quite a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

As for inflation i think many forget that video games in general sell for a fraction of the price they did BITD. These days people complain about laying down more then $50USD for AAA titles...

This reminds me of a Facebook friend, who was into cryptocurrency when it first started, and mined a lot of bitcoin. So he was lamenting the other day that he used 100 bitcoin in 2010 to purchase some PC game.  At today's value, he forked out nearly $6,000,000 - yes, six million dollars - for that game. (!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

I don't know, at a certain point it's just a damn good game. I could try to find reasons for Draconian to be better than Galagon, or Super Cobra to be better than Space Rocks but I would have to nitpick to do so. A list games I don't bother pitting against each other, it's like making me choose between beer or beer ;)

Exactly but if I'm being honest, audacity has a way to go to beat Champ or spiceware for the best homebrew games ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, john_q_atari said:

I don't know, I doubt its that deep. It seems more likely they just greatly overpaid for their parts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Supergun said:

Which btw, that was inaccurate. (Not just the inflation adjustment which was way too high)

Where do you get support for the idea that their inflation number is off? Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index Calculator, it’s pretty dead-on. In some market segment (education and healthcare, for instance), the calculator is far too low. In others, it’s too high. But as a general comparison of purchasing power it’s accurate. 

• Like 1