IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

I'm very late to the "Homebew" or "Developer" talk, but I wanted to add my thoughts because I'm arrogant enough to think my opinion matters! ?

AtariAge and @Albert function as a "Publisher" who produces, packages, and gives royalties for games created by "Developers". No different than what happens in modern gaming.

We are way past someone at home doing it all by themselves to produce, as @jaybird3rd said, "a humble 4K game in a plastic baggie—complete with a recycled cartridge board and shell, a scissor-cut label and a folded manual printed on a cheap home printer, and artwork drawn by the programmer on graph paper". Sure AA still uses recycled shells, but I can speak with experience when I say that Albert is very, very selective about what shells he will take in to use. 

I do not consider the games created and sold here as "Homebrew". You are, in my eyes, all capital D "Developers" and I fully support you and your efforts.

Edited by The Historian
I speak fluent typonese.
  • Like 22

11 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am pretty sure James was using his modded 2600. Which is know to have some timing problems, though this one doesn't look familiar.

Could that be the reason for the power-on glitches?  Or, is it likely a bankswitch problem?

On 3/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, john_q_atari said:

It's only a guess but if they have confidence in themselves and consider themselves pros, then I think they already amassed a set of materials, including potentially programmed carts (just need to make sure the right serial number goes to the right customer.) If so it could be as simple as just packing things up and shipping them out. Presumably they already lined up help to do that order fulfillment so maybe all orders would ship within 2 weeks of March 22nd. Just a guess on my part though.

This is where I get worried.  If there is indeed a bankswitching load bug, and they've potentially already burned the carts / have them ready to go, that could be a problem.

1 hour ago, Propane13 said:

Could that be the reason for the power-on glitches?  Or, is it likely a bankswitch problem?

This is where I get worried.  If there is indeed a bankswitching load bug, and they've potentially already burned the carts / have them ready to go, that could be a problem.

1 hour ago, john_q_atari said:

I think any worry at this point is completely unwarranted.

Well, at some point in the stream when James says he has a cart, one of the Kitchens says something like, "You got a cart that works?" laughingly. Makes me wonder if they had some issues initially. Hopefully those have all been resolved. 

• Like 1

I know there is disagreement, but the terms "homebrew" and "hack" have both developed negative connotations and perceptions in the general gaming community.  I'm not pretending to be down with the kids (in fact saying "down with" is likely faux pas), but I don't see how the words can be saved if the evangelists (*that's us*) are getting old.

The incredible hacks on this site are mods.  They should be labeled as mods.  That term commands the respect the software deserves.

Homebrew should be abolished completely.  It's new software.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, orange808 said:

the terms "homebrew" and "hack" have both developed negative connotations and perceptions in the general gaming community.

I don't think "hack" is perceived as negative by the gaming community:  one only needs to take a look at romhacking.net, YouTube gaming channels, RPG forums etc. to see how popular game hacks are with streamers, speedrunners, translation fans and others.

(Of course among the general population, "hack" has taken on a negative if not criminal association)

As far as homebrew, I think that is more of a term used in development circles, and one that younger users might not be familiar with (aside from the console mod scene).

1 hour ago, orange808 said:

I know there is disagreement, but the terms "homebrew" and "hack" have both developed negative connotations and perceptions in the general gaming community. 

Why should we care about the general gaming community?

One of the best thing about this community is that is a small group of people that likes to play, collect or program new games for a 40 years old console the general public don't care about. And because of this the only motivation is that we have fun in doing it.

I like to live in a world where most people don't even know what an "Atari VCS" is... :ponder:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:35 PM, DrVenkman said:

You know I already posted the closest thing to an "official" U.S. inflation calculator that exists, right? In fact, the BLS's tables have been the standard inflation calculators, used by economists and financial planners across broad industry spectra for decades, since well before the internet even existed. Here it is again in case you missed it.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index Inflation Calculator

I don't see that coming up with a figure different from mine.  Is there some remaining controversy here I'm missing?

57 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

Why should we care about the general gaming community?

One of the best thing about this community is that is a small group of people that likes to play, collect or program new games for a 40 years old console the general public don't care about. And because of this the only motivation is that we have fun in doing it.

I like to live in a world where most people don't even know what an "Atari VCS" is... :ponder:

Well, we don't live in that world.  We live in a world where the central McGuffin of a big-budget Spielberg movie is a famous Atari 2600 easter-egg.  The retrogaming hobby was niche back in the mid 90s after the 2600 was considered passe' and the gaming public was engaged in the bit-wars treadmill but it's been a mainstream niche of gaming at least since the first commercial emulators came out, followed by the endless Flashbacks, etc...  I was thinking things had fizzled off but apparently not, thanks to the perseverance of homebrewers and the influx of newfound enthusiasm from younger demographics (as theorized upthread).

It is true in any special interest that there are only ever a small group of the most hardcore enthusiasts, though.  That doesn't mean these are the only ones we should consider part of the hobby.  Level of engagement fades off and becomes more casual but it's still part of the mix.

Edited by mos6507
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, orange808 said:

I know there is disagreement, but the terms "homebrew" and "hack" have both developed negative connotations and perceptions in the general gaming community.  I'm not pretending to be down with the kids (in fact saying "down with" is likely faux pas), but I don't see how the words can be saved if the evangelists (*that's us*) are getting old.

The incredible hacks on this site are mods.  They should be labeled as mods.  That term commands the respect the software deserves.

Homebrew should be abolished completely.  It's new software.

Just my two cents.

I think we should just call everything "game" and be done with it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 5-11under said:

I've done some garagebrew, carbrew, and parkbrew.

16 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I've done airplane brew in the past.  So, I demand AirBrewer. :rolling:

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I used to be a Trainbrewer.

1. Darn, you are taking all my entries. I add: commutebrew and porcelain-thronebrew. 

2. I am bewildered by those billboard/sign / zph episode comments above, but please don't explain it to me in this thread either. 

3. Homebrew - I don't know how this beer-made-at-home terminology first got applied to making games for vintage hardware.  I have never been ashamed of the term "homebrew" games because I experienced first-hand how excellent they were.   I think the purest term might simply be, "Aftermarket Software".  The prime market is gone;  developers continue to make products which may be free or paid-for, in the aftermarket.  

4. I want to play Circus Convoy someday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1