IGNORED

Ex-Activision Designers Launch Retro Game Publisher Audacity Games™

jaybird3rd

14 hours ago, cvga said:

Interesting how he controls the joystick at the top with just his thumb in the video. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use the controller that way.

6 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

It's the only way I can play, even with round knobs.

My thumb is much quicker than my wrist.

I modify my CX-40s for this very reason. I posted a how-to here: http://www.cheeptech.com/2600mods/stickmod.html

Basically, it works like a taller, more controllable (and right-handed) D-pad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

REMINDER THAT THE EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE OF CIRCUS CONVOY
IS HAPPENING TOMORROW ON ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

Watch the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of the new Atari 2600 game Circus Convoy with LIVE interviews with the founders of Audacity Games, David Crane (Pitfall), Garry Kitchen (Keystone Kapers) & Dan Kitchen (Crackpots)!

Join us LIVE on Twitch tomorrow and ask your questions to these LEGENDARY gaming developers about their return to the classic console we all love and their brand new game Circus Convoy for the Atari 2600!

Friday March 12th @ 4PM PT | 7PM ET | 12AM GMT
https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

916018954_20210311-CircusConvoyWorldPremiereInterview.thumb.jpg.0b54028262a5f8342cd3dac7c8c98cf7.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Did the developers at CommaVid make another Atari 2600 game in the 'modern era' outside of their 1981-1983 run of games? It looks like the MagiCard was made in 1982.

- James

I was poking fun.  Pretty much anyone that used MagiCard was involved in a form of Atari development in the proper era.  We could also argue that Donkey Kong was a homebrew and the Supercharger was a homebrew flash cart.  

The whole argument feels like arguing for the sake of having something to argue about.  :)

14 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Plus when I hear convoy I always think trucks, never trains :music:

Haha! That's exactly what I hear playing in my head when I think of "Convoy". Glad I'm not alone. ?

Edit: @ZeroPage Homebrew Good luck on the interview tomorrow. Looking forward to watching it!

Edited by slacker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

REMINDER THAT THE EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE OF CIRCUS CONVOY
IS HAPPENING TOMORROW ON ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

Watch the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of the new Atari 2600 game Circus Convoy with LIVE interviews with the founders of Audacity Games, David Crane (Pitfall), Garry Kitchen (Keystone Kapers) & Dan Kitchen (Crackpots)!

Join us LIVE on Twitch tomorrow and ask your questions to these LEGENDARY gaming developers about their return to the classic console we all love and their brand new game Circus Convoy for the Atari 2600!

Friday March 12th @ 4PM PT | 7PM ET | 12AM GMT
https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

916018954_20210311-CircusConvoyWorldPremiereInterview.thumb.jpg.0b54028262a5f8342cd3dac7c8c98cf7.jpg

I thought David Crane did Ghostbusters?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zzip said:

I thought David Crane did Ghostbusters?

He did the design, and I seem to recall that he programmed the C64 version.  Other programmers ported it to other platforms: Dan Kitchen ported it to the 2600, and Glyn Anderson ported it to the Atari 800.

48 minutes ago, Tempest said:

So is Circus Convoy replacing the Keystone Cannonball game or is this a separate project?  CC looks interesting, but I was looking forward to the more simplistic gameplay of KC.

Maybe they will do a release similar to KC like FOX did with Alien.

They wouldn't need 128K for a simple game like that so Circus Convoy may be an audacious release catering to the modern homebrew crowd and collectors as well as to classic gamers; OG's have the perception and knowhow to reach more market segments, both then and now.

1 hour ago, jaybird3rd said:

He did the design, and I seem to recall that he programmed the C64 version.  Other programmers ported it to other platforms: Dan Kitchen ported it to the 2600, and Glyn Anderson ported it to the Atari 800.

Ah! A link!

I did NES "The Three Stooges", and at the start of that game it pretends to be "Ghostbusters", with the title screen and all, and then the stooges wander on from the side of the screen and say "Hey Fellas! We're in the Wrong Game!!".  So there we go... I have an indirect link to the Activision guys after all.

• Like 7

On 3/10/2021 at 6:57 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

I don't want to rustle any feathers as it really doesn't bother me who classes what in what category. But it's statements like this that makes my ears prick up. What is the difference? Who programmed it or that it's released commercially? Same say it's still homebrew others are saying "these guys" like there is two sides of the fence.

Anyway im glad they're back as i looked up to them over the years and watched all their portland panels in awe like a fan boy too.

@ZeroPage Homebrew I would say he's either referring to Bob Smith who has mentioned many times he is working on an 2600 game or Ed Fries who developed Halo 2600

I think the distinction is very simple. Whether a game is a homebrew or not depends solely on the motivations of the programmer.

If programming a particular game is a hobby to the programmer, then the game is a homebrew. A hobby, I believe, is something you are doing for enjoyment and not for money.

That said, there is no reason why a homebrewer cannot also be a professional programmer. All that matters is the motivations behind a programmer for a particular game they are developing.

That said, "these guys" may indeed be homebrewers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, batari said:

I think the distinction is very simple. Whether a game is a homebrew or not depends solely on the motivations of the programmer.

If programming a particular game is a hobby to the programmer, then the game is a homebrew. A hobby, I believe, is something you are doing for enjoyment and not for money.

That said, there is no reason why a homebrewer cannot also be a professional programmer. All that matters is the motivations behind a programmer for a particular game they are developing.

Atleast someone knew where i was going with it :) Exactly my point, like i was saying awhile back, they were developing mobile apps and these days mobile apps would yield a larger paycheck. So in reality this is just homebrew like any other, besides who is programming it and re-living the dream of running a third party 2600 commercial software company.

Nothing malice is meant from my statements. Yes they're OG developers and yes they were great at what they did so it's exciting times.

What i would like to see is rather then being a silent entity, is to join the community like most homebrew devs. It's great that they're going to be on ZPH and would be even better to see them here.

Im sure they have passed through silently and maybe even benefited from tools created by the community.

1 hour ago, batari said:

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

What i would like to see is rather then being a silent entity, is to join the community like most homebrew devs. It's great that they're going to be on ZPH and would be even better to see them here.

OG_Devs.gif.d2a3954e6da31eaf07ec5bda3aae3724.gif

Unlikely, these are Activision's RockStar artists from the 80's. 

They will build the mystique and create an amazing series of games.