IGNORED

Why not try port Super Mario 64 without vfx?

j1mp4ck

7 hours ago, j1mp4ck said:

Hi, if the source code of SM64 is pseudo Open, why not try port to jaguar?

I have a better idea: why not play SM64 on an N64, and instead put the effort towards developing an all-new game for the Jaguar..?

• Like 7

11 hours ago, j1mp4ck said:

Hi, if the source code of SM64 is pseudo Open, why not try port to jaguar?

N64 uses floating point for 3D Maths, Jaguar, PSX & Saturn uses fixed point, at first I want to see if someone has enough time to convert all code and assets to fixed point and port it to ps1.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, j1mp4ck said:

the source code of SM64 is pseudo Open

Ok i don't know why I'm writing this but there are literally dozen of reasons why this will never happen, and the first of them is actually in your question. The code is "pseudo" open source. Well actually it isn't. It's a hack and it's illegal to even look at it.

Now there is also a second very good reason: Why anyone would spend an insane amount of time just to get killed by Nintendo ass soon as the project is announced on a forum somewhere...

And last but not least, let's be honest, even the best 3d games on the jag have a polycount that is at best a fourth of what Mario 64 shows. So even with a real good 3d engine, one would have to redo all the 3d assets.

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 8

On 3/8/2021 at 2:24 AM, LordKraken said:

And last but not least, let's be honest, even the best 3d games on the jag have a polycount that is at best a fourth of what Mario 64 shows. So even with a real good 3d engine, one would have to redo all the 3d assets.

Or have the game run at 1/4th the frame rate. (Probably taking your statement too literally.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure why everyone wants to see advanced 3d games on the Jag, when it's EXTREMELY difficult to program 3d games for the system. I think it would be cooler to see a highly detailed 2d game like SOTN or something. Also it's a huge undertaking to make a big game on the Jaguar, and there's not much money in it. You pretty much gotta be in it for the love of the game or learning experience. And if you are to make a game, you probably wouldn't want to see all that hard work go down the drain because you're using a licensed brand.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/28/2021 at 9:45 AM, JazGaming said:

I'm not sure why everyone wants to see advanced 3d games on the Jag, when it's EXTREMELY difficult to program 3d games for the system. I think it would be cooler to see a highly detailed 2d game like SOTN or something. Also it's a huge undertaking to make a big game on the Jaguar, and there's not much money in it. You pretty much gotta be in it for the love of the game or learning experience. And if you are to make a game, you probably wouldn't want to see all that hard work go down the drain because you're using a licensed brand.

Mario64 has almost no texture. And the Jag is very fast at Gouraud shading ( for Mario ). I don't even know why we discuss the flat shaded image above. And even then you could bake in the lightning.

Mario64 on the N64 was an unoptimized debug build which ran some calculations twice because -- I dunno -- the devkit was so bad at profiling or that calculation was cheap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I dont think the legality really matters, of course no one who would be willing to try to port this to the Jag would ever consider trying to sell it.

The main issue, regardless of fixed point or floating point, is that the Jag is not good at rendering triangles, point blank.

The official Atari 3D renderer is doing 15 fps on a scene with 382 triangles

Granted this renderer can be optimized as it is doing real-time per-vertex lighting calculations as well near-z clipping on every vertex transformed, that code is running on the GPU which does not seem to be the bottleneck considering 4 triangles can tank down to 30 fps if they are large enough on-screen... I believe the blitter is just not well suited for triangle rasterization.  I would love to be proven wrong though!

20220323_183946.jpg

20220323_184216.jpg

20220323_184226.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/8/2021 at 3:24 AM, LordKraken said:

Ok i don't know why I'm writing this but there are literally dozen of reasons why this will never happen, and the first of them is actually in your question. The code is "pseudo" open source. Well actually it isn't. It's a hack and it's illegal to even look at it.

No, it's reverse engineered source code built from scratch that doesn't infringe on any of Nintendo's copyrights. It's why it hasn't been killed yet.

It's also why to compile it you need to provide your own Super Mario 64 rom to extract the copyrighted assets necessary to turn it into a playable port of Super Mario 64. It's the finished effort that's illegal to distribute, not the source code that was independently created that doesn't infringe on any Nintendo copyright.

Same concept with this new Ocarina of Time port. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OVERRiDE said:

I dont think the legality really matters, of course no one who would be willing to try to port this to the Jag would ever consider trying to sell it.

The main issue, regardless of fixed point or floating point, is that the Jag is not good at rendering triangles, point blank.

The official Atari 3D renderer is doing 15 fps on a scene with 382 triangles

Granted this renderer can be optimized as it is doing real-time per-vertex lighting calculations as well near-z clipping on every vertex transformed, that code is running on the GPU which does not seem to be the bottleneck considering 4 triangles can tank down to 30 fps if they are large enough on-screen... I believe the blitter is just not well suited for triangle rasterization.  I would love to be proven wrong though!

20220323_183946.jpg

20220323_184216.jpg

20220323_184226.jpg

Very cool stuff... 

• Like 1