Classic99: running a game?

Harry Potter

In TI BASIC after it says * READY * 

type: OLD DSK#.DISKNAME

# IS THE DISK NUMBER YOU INSTALLED THE DISK IMAGE ON

DISKNAME IS THE NAME OF THE FILE ON DISK YOU WANT TO LOAD

WHEN YOU WANT TO RUN THE PROGRAM TYPE : RUN

FYI on saving a file:

When you want to save a program, use the uppercase word SAVE and in the case for disk drive 0, it's SAVE DSK0.FILE

Where "FILE" is a name you want to assign your newly saved program.

Also note, TI basic wants everything in uppercase regarding it's commands.

OLD DSKn.FILE would load it into memory. Where n is your disk number, 0 per your example and FILE is the name of the program you wish to load. Then type RUN to execute it. Uppercase as mentioned by GDMike above.

RUN "DSK0.FILE" would load and run it in one step. Note the added quotes are needed for this command to work.

This presumes you have a console BASIC program in mind. Use the Cartridge menu to "insert" Extended BASIC to load a program written for that and select it at startup.

Then there's E/A programs as well. Check the FAQ for the info and pdf files of the books which shipped with the console to learn the basics. There's a bit of a learning curve in figuring out what is required to use the various types of programs and files you'll come across.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, oddemann said:

OLD... What dos it stand for... Original Loading Down? Ohhhh LoaDing? Or did someone miss spell LOaD?

Anything NOT new is considered OLD, even if you just made it, once saved out, it's considered OLD to TI basics

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Some of the games I downloaded say they require an Editor/Assembler cartridge.  Is it included in Classic99?  I believe I have the latest version.

Harry, one thing to keep in mind is that each application end product, the actual program usually needs some sort of loader to get it into the computer.

Basic programs need either ti basic or extended basic module cartridge.

Assembly programs need the Editor assembler cartridge, BUT there our situations where you can find editor assembler programs that can be run from extended basic or from rxb depending on what the program does and how it's accessed usually the owner of the program tells us in a document and the document is usually a display variable 80 type of file opposed to a file type of program or int/var 128 or other number.

The editor assembler manual explains some of this the ti extended basic manual explains some of this the fourth programs such as FB Forth,turbo Forth camel Forth have information on how to get those programs loaded.

Usually a disc manager can also read a display variable 80 (text file), and so you can use those to view a listing of your files as well as reading the documentation files

Edited by GDMike

11 hours ago, oddemann said:

OLD... What dos it stand for... Original Loading Down? Ohhhh LoaDing? Or did someone miss spell LOaD?

It's a terminology that stemmed from the days of the minicomputer or mainframe.  As already pointed out, opposite of NEW. As soon as your program is saved, no matter if only an hour ago made, it is OLD!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

BTW, I have C99.  How do I read its documentation?

Either look in the folder you unzipped it to, or select Help->Open Manual. Either option requires a PDF reader be installed.

If you jump to page 52, you will find notes on how to load each of the files on the included DSK1, which is a good primer to the basics.

The TI99 is the most complicated system I know of for using disks. :)

It seems like you need one program to list the disk directory, then you have to scribble down what you want, then restart and use another program to load it. That, and there are several ways needed to load different types of programs.

0 means unknown device name. Were you typing in lower case? Everything is uppercase on the TI.

As for complex, yeah... it's pretty up there. Back in the day, most software shipped with an Extended BASIC loader as the least common denominator - liked especially because it would auto-boot (and it was the only auto-boot on the system). But we were all perfectly comfortable using Editor/Assembler #5, too.

The lack of directory always sucked, though. Almost everyone had a printed listing tucked in the sleeve with every diskette.

• Like 3

The easiest way to load programs is with RXB.   Load up RXB in classic99.   Press option 3 i think is Editor/Assembler.  Press "D" for directory, and then the disk drive number: 0, 1, 2...ect.    RXB will read the disk directory, scroll down to the program you want to load.  Press "spacebar" if it is a basic, or extended basic program.   OR Press "Enter" if it is a ea/5 program.    It will work 99.9999% of the time.    

EDIT:  In classic99  Cartridge>APPS>RXB2020D By Rich Gilbertson

Edited by DavidC

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

It works!  Thank you!  :D

BTW, the graphics are okay, but I don't like the sound.

The sound chip was impressive at the time of it's entry back when it came out. Along with the speech synthesis.

Edited by GDMike